Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've been to the vets today. Now I need help. >

I've been to the vets today. Now I need help.

I've been to the vets today. Now I need help.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM

You scared me!! When you said "cut short" I don't know why, but my mind interpreted put to sleep. Whew!! One of the first answers to your query came from the groomer. Her advice is right on. A soft tee shirt with a drawstring. I have 5 dogs and only one wants/needs a shirt and she's 12 years old. But, they're indoor dogs.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM

What ever pattern you make, I hope you make it a little longer than the dog. I made an ultra suede with fleece lining when Socrates was a year, and it fit fine. The next winter I put it on, and it was short. At a year old, the dog is still growing. I used the Simplicity pattern.. Since Socrates is not a foodie, he is scrawny, and gets cold easy. My attitude is, if I am wearing a winter coat, so is he..
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM

DOTTYMO,
Are you feeding your dog a dry food with corn,wheat or soy? My golden retriever had skin allergies and hair loss, about
a month after I switched her to a grain free dry food, her fur began to grow back and the skin allergies finally began to clear up. I suspect she is allergic to either corn,wheat or soy.
Sharon
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM

My late dog Stitches, (see Avatar) had a short haircut every Spring. Invariably the weather would then turn cold for several days and the house could also feel chilly and damp. I took a piece of polyester polar fleece and made him a cape of sorts. It buttoned around his neck with a wooden toggle button and a loop. I also made a fleece strap of sorts with velcro to fasten midway between his chest and upper belly. it worked well and it was my own invention.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

If you crochet, here is a pattern for it. There was other ones too, I believe
http://www.favecrafts.com/Pet-Croche...ochet-Pattern#
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 AM

If yu go to Joann's they have a lot of patterns for dog. good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Fudge was the smallest in a litter of 7 ,, hand fed etc. now adays she looks and acts like a very lively and intelligent teenager. Full of life and after starting life as a fussy eater now adays eats anything. She has, vets, some kind of mite which came from her birth. This causes dry black flaky skin. Under her double white bishion coat you can't see them that, is why she has a num bet one or less so the patches are. Visible.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM

OK, first off if your vet said to cut the hair very short, your vet knows better than anyone what your pup needs.

I have a rescue 'mutt' name Tramp. He is a wonderful old soul and sweet as can be but he is very cold natured. I live in Florida and sometimes he gets cold in the summer from the A/C and wants to wear his sweaters ALL winter long. Please remember, hot air rises, cool air falls. The lower to the ground he is the colder he gets.

That being said, you've gotten some really good ideas for coats. For Tramp ... he 'prefers' the polar fleece. In addition to having a sweater on his 'daddy' (my DH) has a chair in our bedroom for Tramp (to keep him off the floor) and covers him up when they 'turn in for the night'. We keep a piece of polar fleece on our bed for our other rescue, Benji, to sleep on so he doesn't get jealous!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Loved this video, she is a character! Love her happy go lucky attitude & when she threw the strips"out of the way" ROFL.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Do you already have a coat or sweater for your dog that fits well? I made a coat for my JRT by copying one we had that was lightweight and fit her well. I used two layers of fleece and some velcrro for a closure tab under the belly. Its fits her well and I even used a tab from a clothesline cord to make the leash hook. It cost me under $7 to make. It's also washable which is important for a dog cost. Hope this helps you.