Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome 6500/6600 owners please

Hello All,
    Since we are talking sewing machines I am looking at the Janome 6600 and the Bernina Aurora 440QE. Any suggestions from anyone on which machine would be the better buy? The 440QE does not come with the embroidery unit unless I buy it separately. I hadn't thought to add that to the cost. I have Pfaff I currently use and it has the dual feed so that is why I considered the Janome. The Bernina does not come with this. Any help anyone can give me would be great.
    Nettie

I always wanted a Bernina, but couldn't justify the cost. I wouldn't turn one down, but I've been really happy with my Janome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    The machine is sewing well now, but will pull material into the needle plate sometimes.
    This is why we use leaders and enders. Always keep a small piece of fabric
    by my machine to start sewing that way I don't ruin the nicely cut piece.
    It also saves a lot of thread that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie Q
    I have the 6600. Got it about 3 months ago. I haven't had very many problems with the fabric getting pulled under. I did purchase the single hole throat plate just haven't used it yet. The adjustable tension is so wonderful, I haven't used the walking foot yet. I would say you need to take into consideration the cost of the feet you want. Alot of feet come with the machine but the quarter inch walking foot,the single throat plate and the stitch in the ditch foot,and the quilting foot are all extra. So I did spend more then I thought I would. I would also hope you will get free classes so you can learn all the wonderful things you can do. This machine is amazing and I love it. Hope you get your new machine soon, which ever you choose.
    everything you mentioned, other than the single hole throat plate came with my machine. I found the machine so intuitive I didn't need classes The manual is very easy use. I've had this machine for 5 years.
    Mine also came with all the feet but later I found out that they were not accufeed so I had to buy these separately. The only accuffeed foot I got with my machine was the walking foot.

Blog Entries
    I have owned both the 6500 and the 6600. The 6600 wins the race. Yes, sometimes things snag the built-in walking foot lever, but that's usually when I'm pushing a queen size quilt through. If I ever had to replace this machine, it would be with another 6600, the Accufeed is simply amazing. I also have the Memorycraft 10001 and enjoy it well, but, I can't give the 6600 enjoy praise.

Blog Entries
    i'm a Janome fan. i have two ... one of which is the 6600.

the accufeed mechanism has never gotten in my way. there are only two things i don't like about it.

(1) the acufeed feet are, indeed, a pain to change. not as in painful. as in nowhere near as convenient as snap on feet are.
    (2) about halfway through a bobbin, the top thread will pop out of the arm thingie and it jams. it takes less than 30 seconds to fix but is a bit annoying. i had it for six months before it started doing that. my friend's has been doing it since the beginning. what i can't figure out is whether it's the machine or the way i wind my bobbins. (i bought a winder, so don't use the sewing machine to wind them.)

if you can afford the Horizon, i'd get that because of the extra throat space.

if you're considering the Horizon, you might want to check with a Pfaff dealer first. the Quilt Expression 4.0 is their equivalent to the Horizon for around the same price. the Pfaff version of acufeed feet snap on. i don't know if it comes with an extension table like the Horizon does.

as much as i love my Janomes, i will look at the Pfaff first if and when enough $$$ show up in my wallet to upgrade.

I have the 6600 and love it. As for the 6500 pulling the fabric down into the bobbin area and the 6600 not doing that - I'm guessing that your dealer may not have sewn a whole lot of triangle points on the 6600. It does in fact do this. I'm told that you can purchase another plate that has a smaller hole to prevent this happening, or you can work around it like many of us do by using leaders and enders when piecing. As to having the accufeed system get in the way when sewing bulky things - from what I have heard and seen, it is not a problem. While it looks like it is just hanging there in mid-air, the clearance underneath is quite adequate.

One thing to keep in mind - when I purchased my 6600 (at Christmas), I was told by the dealer that the 6500 was no longer being made. That is, of course, hearsay, but if I were looking at a 6500, I would also be looking for a seriously discounted price.

I've only let a very few points get caught, I do not have the single hole needle plate, 6600 P. I've been doing a LOT of bags lately and sometimes they do get hung on the accufeed gizmo, just got to pay attention, I DO miss a freearm but I didn't have one when I learned to sew so I can deal with it.

Banned
    I went from the 6600P to the Horizon. I cannot say enough about the 6600, but I like the Horizon better!

Thank you so much again everyone. So much to keep in mind. I've been talking to hubby and maybe will wait a little longer and try to get the horizon :) But I still want to keep my options open in case I don't. It's interesting to read all your comments on the various machines. Thanks again

Blog Entries
    I have had the 6600 for just a few months and I love it so far. I didn't have the problem with the bobbin that PatriceJ mentioned but maybe that's in my future. I do like a free arm but I kept my old Janome MC3500 so I can use that for any free arm work. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I used it (the free arm) anyway.

My sister and I both have 6500's and my other sister has a 6600. I would choose 6600 over the 6500 for one reason... the on/off switch. Find a speed you like (especially in FMQ) hit the start button.... and when done hit it again. NO FOOT PEDAL!

I have the 6600 and a Bernina Aurora 730. Hands down the Janome is my favorite to quilt, and also piece on. It is a tough, rugged, workhouse of a sewing machine and it is truly built to last a long time. As far as the tension problems others in the past have mentioned, I have experienced these to some degree. But don't we all on all machines? I know I have before on my Bernina (mostly I forget to check). The Accufeed is wonderful. I mean WON-DER-FUL. I love it, it does not get in my way and in fact, it is great to sew with when doing stitch in the ditch work. My machine came with many accessories, so I've not had to buy anything additional. I will say that if you do buy it, buy the table as well. I love that table and it is perfect for the 6600.

Again, I cannot praise this machine enough. It is comparable to all top brands and I wouldn't get rid of mine for NOTHING.

I wish you luck.

Tina

Hi- I have had the 6500 for about 7 years and just love the machine. It is a work horse!! I do alot of quilt piecing w/ it and it is fast and sews beautifully. I love the knee lift, the cutter and take it to classes w/ me all the time. A friend of mine just got the 6600 and is also delighted w/ her machine. I considered getting the 6600 but other than the special set up for the walking foot there is virtually no difference between the 2 machines.

I purchased the 6600 and also got the table that came with it as it was a floor model and I could not be happier with this great machine. This is my 3rd Janome. Test drive it first as my dealer encourages you to do this and to try all the good stuff first before buying.

Above all else, I'll take Lulu!!! ;)

I have the 6600 and love love love it!!!

I too, am an avid Janome owner. I have two 6600's...just had to get one for the cabin...they are absolutely great! No problems with the accufeed, in fact you can see better than that bulky walking foot. Would not trade the thread cutter on any machine, great for continuous piecing. The Horizon does not have a separate motor for winding bobbins and if you do your own quilting, you wind alot of bobbins., with the 6600 you have that separate motor. At this stage I would not purchase the 6500, even though they are nice machines. You can find slightly used 6600's from trade ins on the Horizon. I was fortunate to find a three week old 6600 with full warranty (lady changed her mind) for $900. I also belong to the Janome6500/6600 yahoo group, which is a terrific support group. The Ladies are absolutely wonderful about sharing information and tips on these machines. I would suggest you join..even before you decide on your machine. Love those Janomes....just bought a 3160 for classes. For the features and money, I would get the 6600. Diana 6600/4900/9000/3160 PS: Let us know what you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I went all over St. Louis County about 5 years ago looking to buy a Janome MC6500 but the dealers didn't know much about it and weren't willing to offer any deals like extra feet. Then I found out about the Elna 7200 and started looking around for it. The second dealer I visited had one setup and was making a quilt on it when I walked in the door. It came with the table & feet I wanted and she had one in a box she was saving for herself but she sold it to me on the spot! I was a very happy camper. The Elna 7200 is the Elna commissioned version of the Janome MC6500. I believe the Elna 7300 is the Elna version of the Janome MC6600 so you might find what you're dreaming about at the Elna dealer just like I did!
    I have the Elna 7300 and just love it. It came with a couple of the Accufeed feet, and I bought others through All Brands. The Accufeed is wonderful! It does take a few seconds to change feet, but once you're used to doing it, it's a breeze. I've had them get caught on safety pins a couple of times while FMQ, but that was my fault for not taking them out.

Blog Entries
    I work at a LQS (authorized Janome dealer) that has a 6500 on sale right now. If you are interested I'll check her price on it. In our area (western MT) a machine with those features are not that popular.

Marie M.

I have the 6600, and abolutely love it. The 'foot' does not get in my way at all, and sometimes, I am all fingers. You would love it. I haven't been quilting very long, but find quilting with this machine, is such a breeze...so easy and turns out so nice.
    I love the double needle option also, and the fact it has a lever, to reduce, or speed up the sewing speed. I don't like a slow machine..

Quote Originally Posted by thseabreze
    I have the 6600, and abolutely love it. The 'foot' does not get in my way at all, and sometimes, I am all fingers. You would love it. I haven't been quilting very long, but find quilting with this machine, is such a breeze...so easy and turns out so nice.
    I love the double needle option also, and the fact it has a lever, to reduce, or speed up the sewing speed. I don't like a slow machine..
    I haven't tried the double needle yet...what do you use it for?

you can use it for anything you like...for quiting, to secure a block or design...like I am doing one now, with flying geese patterns..I will go around those with the double needle..or for applique, you can use it then 2, with 2 colors thread, if you like....anything you can imagine...I wouldn't buy a sewing machine that did not have this option. My old husky has it too, and I love it, I did industrial sewing for many years, and we used the doube stitch alot.

I just bought the 6600P a couple of months ago and I love it. It is really easy to work with; I love the snap on feet and the bobbin winder. Oh my gosh just having those two things on this Janome has saved me many minutes of fumbling around! I will be using the Accufeed foot very soon, and so far it hasn't gotten in my way at all. I bought the extra quilt plate and foot but all the other feed came with the machine. Oh, my dealer also said that the 6500 would be fazing out shortly. I don't know if that's true, but I guess we'll see. The quote I got on the Horizon was $2500 and the 6600P was over a thousand dollars cheaper! I couldn't afford that difference. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I tried to send this earlier, but don't see that it posted. I have a 6500-P Janome for sale. PM me if interested. I'm selling it because I subsequently bought 2 Bernina's, one of them being the new 830-E, and if you know the price of that beauty, you know why I'm trying to sell the Janome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast