Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome 6500/6600 owners please

I love my 6600 and I have 3 other machines, including a couple of free arms for the times I need to use one. I have quilted up to a twin size on mine. I have to agreed with getting a table designed for the machine. It sits higher than many other makes/models and that can cause shoulders to ache. I haven't had that problem at all since I got the table. Janome has a variety of walking foot attachments, including stitch in the ditch and 1/4". And my question to the shop person who said it gets in the way when you are quilting - wouldn't you be usning the the walking foot when you are quilting?

I had the 6600 for about 3 months, and wasn't all that impressed. The Acufeed thing is great, but when piecing the fabric went right down into the hole. You couldn't use a single hole plate on it with a regular 1/4 foot because they don't make one. They only make a single stitch plate to go with the Acufeed 1/4 foot which isn't really a single stitch plate because the needle has to be at 5.5 to use the Acufeed 1/4 foot and the plate looks very similar to a regular zigzag plate, so I got the Horizon, so far so good, it comes with a convertible stitch plate that I can use with my regular 1/4 foot and the fabric doesn't get stuck in the hole.

i've had my 6600 for about 3 yrs. never regreatted it.

I also have a 6600 and really love it. Mine came with the table and I wouldn't be without it. The accufeed is so much quieter than a walking foot that is attached. I did have some trouble with my thread jumping out of the thread take-up lever, but I discovered that there is a thread guard at the top of the needle that I had been missing when I threaded it. Since I made this correction the problem has all but ended. I did not want a lot of bells and whistles that I would never use. If I need a free arm to hem something, I just pull out the portable Singer, which I also take to class.

i've had the 6600 for about a year now. i got the table with it , it does come with an extension table for when it's sitting on a regular table. i also have the 9000-i love my Janomes. i definately recomend sewing on the different machines before deciding.

I have a Janome and would love a new one with more power and goodies lol. I have been looking at the ones you mentioned. Now I am totally confused as to which one I want the most now lol. I just wish I liked my Janome dealer here. I feel uncomfortable when I am in the shop. Glad you menioned the starter fabric. I have found it really does help prevent the mess at the start of sewing.

I HAVE THE 6500 AND I LOVE IT. i JUST HOLD ONTO THE THREADS ON THE END AND THE POINTS GO RIGHT ACROSS THE NEDDLE HOLE NO PROBLEM.
    RIGHT NOW MY 6500 IS ON MY FRAME SO AT THE MOMENT I'M USING IT ON THAT.
    WHICH EVER YOU CHOSE YOU WILL LOVE. KJYM KATHY
    Sorry forgot I had the Cap Lock on .

I HAVE THE 6500 AND I LOVE IT. i JUST HOLD ONTO THE THREADS ON THE END AND THE POINTS GO RIGHT ACROSS THE NEDDLE HOLE NO PROBLEM.
    RIGHT NOW MY 6500 IS ON MY FRAME SO AT THE MOMENT I'M USING IT ON THAT.
    WHICH EVER YOU CHOSE YOU WILL LOVE. KJYM KATHY
    Sorry forgot I had the Cap Lock on .

Love my two 6600's. And my Gem. I would not trade for anything else. Even a free one. Does anyone want a Featherweight?

I have a 6500 and a 6600. Love both of them, but I especially like the built in walking foot on the 6600. I put my 6500 on a Gracie Pro quilting table and used it for a short arm quilting system until I got my Tin Lizzie. Both machines are heavy duty and terrific to work on.

I am a new owner of a Janome 6600P. When I was doing research I found a yahoo group just for 6500/6600 owners which now also include the Horizon owners. There is so much information and the people are very friendly - just like they are here. You can join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/ it is moderated and you need to get permission but that is quick and painless. Good luck with your new machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I have the 6600, and I LOVE the built in walking foot. Not in the way at all for me, and so very useful.
    I used the 6600 at our Project Linus get-together at a local sewing shop. Never had a problem with the walking foot being in the way. I love my Babylock but enjoy using the 6600 at P/L. Not familiar with the 6500.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    I have a 6600, but never even sewn on the 6500 so was hoping to read more comments, out of curiosity.
    I love mine, but it is the nicest machine I've ever had. I'm not sure if I'm knowledgeable enough to help.
    My dream would be to have a Bernina or Baby Lock, but that ain't gonna happen! :shock:
    I just have this idea watching ppl use them on tv, that they are the rolls royce of sewing machines!...and I could be wrong.
    what a concept :mrgreen:
    I love my Babylock. It has great features some of the other machines don't have - or features that are "easier" to use. But if I couldn't get another Babylock, I think the 6600 would be my next choice. Will have to check out the Horizon.... now I'm curious.

I have the 6600 and the new Horizon. I'm very blessed! I love them both and never had a bit of trouble with the 6600. I was going to trade it in on the Horizon, but changed my mind, because I was just attached to it. The Horizon is lovely because it also has a free arm--and that was my only complaint about the 6600. I've heard that the few features that the 6600 has over the 6500 make it a great machine. I honestly think that you would love any of them. I've been sewing on Janomes for 25 years now and love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM
    I work at a LQS (authorized Janome dealer) that has a 6500 on sale right now. If you are interested I'll check her price on it. In our area (western MT) a machine with those features are not that popular.

Marie M.
    Thanks Marie..but I'm in Australia :)
    I'm thinking I might hang out and hope to get the horizon at this stage anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rstinkham
    I love my 6600 and I have 3 other machines, including a couple of free arms for the times I need to use one. I have quilted up to a twin size on mine. I have to agreed with getting a table designed for the machine. It sits higher than many other makes/models and that can cause shoulders to ache. I haven't had that problem at all since I got the table. Janome has a variety of walking foot attachments, including stitch in the ditch and 1/4". And my question to the shop person who said it gets in the way when you are quilting - wouldn't you be usning the the walking foot when you are quilting?
    Hi...I never asked, but I assumed it was when they were doing freemotion quilting, when they wouldn't be using the walking foot

I have a 6600. The built-in walking foot has never gotten in my way. My dealer called me a few weeks ago and told me that the Horizon is replacing the 6600 and he would give me what I paid for my 6600 if I wanted to step up to the Horizon. I can't afford that. But my point is that if that's the case you might be able to get a 6600 for a really good price.

Wow..thank you again everyone...so many responses from so many lovely people. I appreciate all your comments and will keep them all in mind WHEN the time comes for machine buying. I hope it's sooner than later..lol.

My sister has the 6500 and I do like it but I wanted the built in walking foot so after finding a dealer who would deal with me on price I bought the 6600 which I have had for the last year. I love this machine and marvel had all the things it can do. I have had no problems with fabric catching unless I get in a hurry and don't get the fabric in right. I do wish it had a free arm but this is not a big issue. I used my featherweight for years without a free arm & managed just fine. The biggest advantange to the 6600 is the stop/start button and the ability to sew without the presser foot. I have bursitis in both hips and fibromyalgia and this is a life saver for me. It is something I could not do without now. Good luck---and don't be afraid to haggle. I got mine new for the same price my sister paid for the 6500---

I have the 6600 and LOVE it! I also have Janome Platinum for classes and a Bernina 200 that I need to become reacquinted with. I got a great deal on the 6600 with the table last summer. Glad I did it then cause I retired this year and couldn't possibly afford it!

I had the 6600 for about a year - bought for quilting. Didn't do much quilting so really never used. Used my Janome Jem Platinum for pieceing and small quilting - love it - expecially for classes. A LQS was having a demo on the Horizon, so I went just for curiosity. I traded my almost-new 6600 and bought the Horizon - which had a lot of new features that I liked - convertible plate so no need to buy single-hole plate, wider sewing bed than the 6600, better lighting, more memories to store frequently used patterns, feet can be stored in the machine's "holders", top flips up to show stitches instead of screwed-on stitches plate, and to top it off it has a red panel on the right (my favorite color) and a cat design as one of the special decorative stitches (I love cats). Plus I'm getting 15 FREE lessons (cost $60 each). I was sold! I have several friends who have the 6600 and absolutely love them. My advice would be to try to save up the extra money for the Horizon, otherwise the 6600.

Blog Entries
    How old is your Shitzu? Male or female? Looks like my Cody

Senior Member such a sew and sew's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have had my Janome 6600 for 2 years now. I sew and quilt almost everyday. Trust me you will not be disappointed. I absolutely love mine.

Well I can only speak for the 6500 which I have, I love it. I do wish that it had a couple more of the decorative stitches available on the 6600 but didn't want to pay the extra for just that. I was also financially not comfortable with going for the 6600. At the time I bought the 6500 I didn't know about the acue feed and it wouldn't mattered anyway, like I said, I was topping my budget with the 6500.

Yes, I would love to have the new Horizon, but I don't NEED it, and wanting it isn't worth the $ to me. Now maybe if I won the lottery...

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Hi
    I have a 6600 Janome. I love it. I bought last November and
    done some quilts on it with no problem. I discover the tacking
    program and I think that I will be doing a lot of tacking on my quilts. It is fantastic.
    You will love it and enjoy your sewing more than before.
    Good luck

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast