Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Janome 6500/6600 owners please

Oh, lucky you Wings. I think I am going to get one but will have to wait a little while yet :(

I tend to trade up every 18 months - I started about five years ago with a $200 Janome which I laybyed with my store owner here, and I worked my way through six machines, and ended up with the one today and a 350 e plus a mid range one all of which I kept. So I actually traded off three others to get here. However have no intention of parting with the Horizons, it will see me out. They do great deals at times with Janome and that is the time to trade and get the next one up. I paid about $1600 for my 6600 and sold it on the trade in back to the store for $1500 so in reality it cost me $100 to use it for eighteen months. I am pretty happy with that. I might add I own about 36 old machines, which I am now going to sell most of them off as we have run out of room. I am a machine junkie. I shall keep a couple of treadles and some hand cranks. Hopefully they will pay for the balance on the Horizon I owe my hubby's Mastercard - that is what I told him anyway :) So miss-ticky2 keep an eye on the net with Aussie stores and you will see the special come up on a 6600 and that is when you buy. The specials are all over Oz at every store when it happens.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    you are so lucky Wings..i drool over the Horizon but will have to wait until it comes down in price some. I was even too scared to sit down at a demo as I knew it would have been impossible not to own one then and there!

My best friend died a month ago - it was kinda like knock knock - I lost a husband that way and my present husband lost his wife same way - so the lesson is - live and dance. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and get the Horizon. Life is too short to be practical all the time. Somehow the name Horizon said it all :) Seriously I cannot see me getting another machine for a very long time, this machine has everything I want. The 6600 is a beautiful machine and I loved it so much when I bought it that I wrote a write up for my local shop and asked her to put it on her wall to tell people what a great purchase it had been for me. I cannot fault the 6600. I met a lot of women who bought one, and they all loved it.

You've done well Wings. I'm using my 25+ year old Janome so I guess it doesn't owe me anything..lol. Hubby and I looked briefly at the Horizon in a store down here just yesterday (I'm yet to test drive it..lol) and he's quite happy for me to get it. We just don't have the pennies right at the moment... but we have a plan :D I was thinking of the 6600 but would rather wait a little longer and get the Horizon.

Good luck with the plan miss-ticky2 - and we want to see pics of your Horizon when you get it please:) I used to live near the Gold Coast (Mt Tamborine) and I do miss that area. That is the most gorgeous cat in your Avatar pic by the way. My cat has grown a tad since my avatar pic, he is a manx and has no tail. We had an old persian with a beautiful tail, he just fell in love with her and that tail when he moved in here, but sadly it was not to be, I used to tell him that those Spring / Autumn relationships would never work out and sadly our old cat passed. He still looks for her where he last saw her. She of course never gave him the time of day!

I have a 6600 and I LOVE IT! I like the acufeed but DO NOT like that "thingy" on the back--it catches on my basting pins and does get caught in the quilt. That is the only complaint I have with the machine, it sews like a dream! :) :) :)

Correction:
    I found the 1/4" foot in the accessory case. Turns out that when I asked about the single hole plate, that 1/4" food also came with the plate. $43 !

One thing I love about the Horizon - no plate changing, it automatically closes the plate to a hole when you need it. Wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Watching this thread helped me decide ... I came home with a new Horizon last night. I haven't really used it yet -- had to go to work today (:-( ) but have been reading the manual, and figuring out how to fit it into my small work space -- I am really excited. I already love the extra lighting and the extended work table. I am anxious to see how it does FMQ. With the large throat, it should really make things so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
    Watching this thread helped me decide ... I came home with a new Horizon last night. I haven't really used it yet -- had to go to work today (:-( ) but have been reading the manual, and figuring out how to fit it into my small work space -- I am really excited. I already love the extra lighting and the extended work table. I am anxious to see how it does FMQ. With the large throat, it should really make things so much easier.
    Please let us know how you go with the FMQ..I'm very interesting in hearing. I'm still saving for my Horizon :D

Oh, and congratulations on your new machine :)

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Quote Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
    Please let us know how you go with the FMQ..I'm very interesting in hearing. I'm still saving for my Horizon :D
    Oh, and congratulations on your new machine :)
    Yes please let us know which features you love so we too can lust after a Horizon and hopefully one day will have enough money to buy one!

I've only been quilting for a little while. I recently got a 6600, and thought I could do my quilting with the dual feed foot, but I can't figure out how to line things up to get a quarter inch (say from seam) with it. It is so wide, and you can't see the measure lines on the plate. Any suggestions? Or should I just pull out the walking foot from my other, smaller Janome?

I have the 6600 and sometimes the triangle points do get caught with the regular throat plate on. You can purchase a single hole plate and it helps. Love,love,love this machine!!! Go for it.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a 1/4" foot for the dual feed system & it comes with a single-hole plate. It's pricey, but worth the investment. I don't use the dual feed system except when I am quilting or applying binding, but I've never used the plate that comes with it. I use the little 1/4" foot that has the side fence on the right. You will probably need to measure your needle position to the fence and adjust the needle position by widening the zigzag width using the button, even though you're not zigzagging..

I have the 6600 and at times I've had it suck fabric into the bobbin abyss. Then I started using a folded fabric starter piece and no more sucking. I adore the built in walking foot and I use it for piecing as well as quilting. I wouldn't give it up for the world now that I've had it. I'm not using the single hole plate because I'm moving my needle position for a scant 1/4" and using the walking 1/4" foot.

One thing I don't like about the 6600 is that it seems to be fussy about using different thread in the top and bottom. If I do this, it vomits. It vomits cheap thread too. It's like a temperamental Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    I have a 6600, but never even sewn on the 6500 so was hoping to read more comments, out of curiosity.
    I love mine, but it is the nicest machine I've ever had. I'm not sure if I'm knowledgeable enough to help.
    My dream would be to have a Bernina or Baby Lock, but that ain't gonna happen! :shock:
    I just have this idea watching ppl use them on tv, that they are the rolls royce of sewing machines!...and I could be wrong.
    what a concept :mrgreen:
    I love my babylock espire, sews like a dream, i have hardly taken out my cheap brother, with all the features its hard not to love. If it wasn't so big it would be perfect for classes

Goodness...I completely forgot that I had started this thread..lol.

The tax man was very good last year and so was hubby (he gave me the balance) so I ended up getting a Horizon in September last year and I'm so glad I did. I simply love using this machine :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    Hi - I have the 6600 - I love it. If you do buy it please consider buying the drop in floor table that fits it so it is a bench machine, because it just makes sewing so easy. This is a big powerful machine, no sucking of fabric with this baby. I did read on Horizon reviews that it does not have the thread guide that the 6600 has which is a problem - by that I mean the ones that sit up tall off the machine so that your thread has heaps of time to straighten before going down through the guides to the needle. The built in walking foot is great and I have not had material snag when quilting with it.
    Sorry, this is so off topic, but I had to say that your avatar made me smile! That is sooo precious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew_lulu
    I also have the 6600 and I absolutely love it.

Me too! and i have had it for about 4 years now..no problems at all. i do take it in once every 12 to 15 months..for general maintance,service and cleaning.

i bought the single hole plate,and have yet to use it. i use leaders and enders, so it really has not been needed.

the accufeed has never cught my fabric in the back..don't know why it would. i will say, that is can be a pain to put those feet on and off..not much room for your fingers..other than that, i would make the same purchase all over again.

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome 9000.

Blog Entries
    I also had a Janome 8000 but it lost it's mind and is not worth fixing.

Took me a while to get used to the built in walking foot..... but I love it now!

I just got a Janome MC 6600 Prof and have used it little and yes I miss the free arm. But my die hard MC 7500 that is over 25 yrs old is still going and it has one so I will have it set up for when I need it. But I looked at the Horizon and yes to be honest I would love it but did not look at it long as it was WAY over my budget. I used the walking foot with the AcuFeed and loved it. I have not used it enough to have it catch as mentioned in other posts. I got it for the AcuFeed feature. I am just a novice quilter due to 4 other hobbies as well so time is at a premium and I want to stop tying with yarn and start to do machine stitching instead and this is sure going to be a boost to them when I can get to them. I am currently taking a class on applique and love it and found my favorite method and now I am at the machine stitching part then bind and voila. I am excited. I thought I posted a Hey I just got....but it did not post. So here I am. Yea I got a Janome MC 6600 Prof. I am looking forward to yet another 25 plus years with this one. Alamoaa
    AlamoAA
    Have time will quilt

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5