Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Originally Posted by Christine27
FYI, I learned that I do not like the Grace Majestic frame's tubing system to hold the leaders in place. They seem to slip and slide in all directions. Next on my list is to either get a lot of velcro to slap down on the rails and leaders, or just duct tape them like I've heard others have done. I've also ordered the Quick Zip System to put zippers on my leaders so I can pin the quilt tops and backings to one side of the zippers and then... zip..... :)

There's also the Red Snappers for putting on your quilts too ;)
I am hoping to one day get this machine. It isn't in my budget right now but maybe one day....
http://quiltsonthecorner.com/red_snappers
The Red Snappers look nice, but I had already ordered my zippers, so over the weekend, I got all of my velcro in place and got my zippers on my leaders and marked my centers and every 12 inches out from there. Then, just like the product description for the zippers states, I sat back in a comfy chair and pinned my zippers to my quilt top and backing fabric. Yay! It worked really good!

My current quilt on the frame is the first quilt top I made about 3-4 years ago. My cutting was far from accurate, so some seams are very skinny. When I made it, I lived in an old, damp, leaky, drafty little house, so when I moved 2 years ago, I washed the quilt top to get the musty smell out. It frayed really bad, and some of the seams are not holding up so well. I'm quilting the daylights out of it and practicing lots of different designs, since I figure this quilt is not one that will go on display, but will be used for humble purposes. And, it will be a good chance to practice before I get into quilting Christmas presents.

Other than occasional quirks, the new machine seems to be working out good. Last week, I noticed that our LQS didn't even have this machine on display anymore. I wondered if it was because theirs was acting up or if it was because the bosses had taken it with them to some trade show they'd gone to. Hmmm.... The LQS has been awesome to work with.

Anyone else working on projects with their quilter?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Hi Christine,
I just loaded my first 'quilt' last night and took a couple of photos before I started quilting. I am sooo excited. So with a few tension problems, some loopies and having to take out some stitches things are progressing nicely. I will try to attach a photo. It's a wall hanging for my grandchildren so hopefully it won't take that long to do. Judy

Here fishie fishie!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266461[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266408.jpe  
Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by j3intampa
Hi Christine,
I just loaded my first 'quilt' last night and took a couple of photos before I started quilting. I am sooo excited. So with a few tension problems, some loopies and having to take out some stitches things are progressing nicely. I will try to attach a photo. It's a wall hanging for my grandchildren so hopefully it won't take that long to do. Judy
That is so cute!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Update on the little fishie quilt. I finished it tonight and ended up using three different threads, two of them the same brand, same weight/ply. Two different bobbins between the three threads. I found that with every thread/bobbin change I had to re-test the stitches and re-adjust, I was kinda surprised that the difference in brands could make so much difference. I will post pic's tomorrow night. My quilting??? not great but definitely doable (if you don't look too close! lol) In the darker inner border I tried doing circles freehand and that was kinda wobbly but the thread blended in so well you really can't see it.
Thanks for the compliment, Judy in Tampa
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Janome Artistic Help!

I just purchased this machine and was wondering what i am doing wrong. I have never had a long arm before so need some help Please! When I run the machine it will quilt for several minutes, but then it will stop and I have to start over
again. Is this normal or have I not pushed the right button?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Default Just checking in

The quilts you have posted are vey nice, love the fish.

As for me....I can honestly say I'm SO sorry i ever bought the Artistic longarm!!!

It is still giving me trouble, have yet to take one quilt off it that I'd be happy to give anyone. No way would i be able to do work for anyone else or sell mine, as the back of the quilts come out less than perfect! And that is being kind.

Still no lessons offered by my dealer and he only came out that one time. He did change the tensions and make things a bit better. It just not live up to what was promised.

Maybe 2012 will have an Artistic fairy fly over our homes and correct all the issues we are having...
Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 PM

For those of you looking for Robinson-Anton thread, try www.allthreads.com. Their prices are reasonable and they have free shipping for orders over $15. They also have mini spools as well as cone thread spools.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Default Are you still having problems?

Originally Posted by SuzyQ2 View Post
The quilts you have posted are vey nice, love the fish.

As for me....I can honestly say I'm SO sorry i ever bought the Artistic longarm!!!

It is still giving me trouble, have yet to take one quilt off it that I'd be happy to give anyone. No way would i be able to do work for anyone else or sell mine, as the back of the quilts come out less than perfect! And that is being kind.

Still no lessons offered by my dealer and he only came out that one time. He did change the tensions and make things a bit better. It just not live up to what was promised.

Maybe 2012 will have an Artistic fairy fly over our homes and correct all the issues we are having...
Hi SuzyQ,
Are you still having problems? All of my practicing and that first lil quilt (fishy) went really well, very little tension issues. Now that I have loaded on a really expensive gift quilt I can't get it to stop skipping stitches. Have you had that problem? I have tried everything that I can think of to no avail. I think I am going to have to call Steve and Rosemary and ask them to make a house call, I have ripped out so much I am seeing stitches in my sleep! I hope your problems have been resolved by now, did that other lady who posted in November get any help? Judy
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Hi Judy,

Yes i'm still having major problems! Talked to the owner today and the only thing that got accomplished is that he had me in tears. He insists that i can only use Robinson Anton thread and that i can not adjust any dials!!!! Well if the darn thing won't stitch worth a darn you have to change something and i did. He claims he has 300 machines out there and im the ONLY own that calls in with problems! Told him i'm happy for the other 299 but what is he going to do to help me? The answer was change your needle, put R/A thread back in the machine and set the tension at 4...Did all that and the top and bottom thread break!
I ask if i paid would he please send me out a service man...no appt set up!
Please can someone advise me as what i can try short of throwing $10,000 worth of machine and frame out the door!
As to your question...yes before the threads started to break all i was doing was pick out stitches. Were you able to get any answers to your problems?
Suzy
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Hi Suzy,
I am sooo sorry to hear you are still having problems, I can't believe the dealer hasn't been more helpful for you. I had some problems recently with skipped stitches. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. So I called my dealer in Texas and ended up shipping it back there. Turned out they told me I was using the 'new ruler foot' foot from Tin Lizzie and it was causing the skipped stitches due to the needle deflecting. He did alot of adjusting on the tension too and when it came back the top tension is VERY tight but it sure sews like a charm. I thought the top tension was set too tight but evidently not. The bobbin tension is set medium, not too tight and not too loose. I have read that the top tension dial doesn't mean anything as far as settings go, it is just a reference point. I have used Signature thread, King Tut and So Fine in my machine and they all sew great. I haven't tried sewing RA yet, never thought of doing that. And I haven't had a problem with any thread breaking either.
Has your dealer even sent out a technician before? I think I would be emailing the Janome company with some major complaining. I have emailed the tech at Janome a couple of times and he seems very helpful. I will get his address for you if you want. You should have gotten something resolved way before now, and personally, different machines are finicky about their threads, I would try something different than RA thread but would stay with a 40wt cotton. It isn't easy to find, not like you could walk into a store and find it either. The Sewing Studio in Maitland had a couple of Signature cones but I think they are getting rid of that. If the RA obviously isn't working what do you have to loose?
and even though you probably already have have you checked your check spring? If it's hanging up it may be pulling your thread tight and causing it to break. That would be the only place where it would be getting caught. have you taken it off the frame and brought it into your dealer for a once over? If he won't come to you I would be on his door step for sure. Please let me know how you are doing, I really feel for you. Judy