Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joanns new made in american fabric line >

Joanns new made in american fabric line

Joanns new made in american fabric line

Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 AM

I will have to look at the new line. I killled the bolt the other day in JoAnns when I was buying batting. There was 3 inches more than I asked for and she was trying to figure out how to charge me for it. I told her to cut it off as I didn't need it if she was charging for it. SHe gave me a dirty look and gave it to me for free. I almost wished she had cut it off just so she could have seen how stupid that was.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Jan, you make a good point! There is a huge difference in "Made in the USA" and "Made in America."

For years, many people believed Connecting Threads fabrics were made in the United States. While the cotton was grown here, it was exported for fabric production, sometimes sent to a 3rd country for printing, then imported back into the US.

There are lots of things I'll buy at Joann's, but cotton fabric isn't one of them. What I believe may well end up to be misleading advertising sure as heck won't change that.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Thank you all, I learn something every day that I read your posts. I wonder when the USA stopped making fabric
Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Joann's fabric was $12 a yard here. It does look and feel nice. I am hoping some of the old fabric mills on the East Coast are starting to mfg. again. I have heard rumors...Ahhhhh wishes!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM

I was at JoAnn's yesterday, and check out the Made in America fabric... Its good quality not great quality, much better than their Keepsake fabrics. The selection was slim, only about 12 bolts , better selection of these Made in America fabrics at Jo Ann's on line.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Hi all...I got an e-mail response to my question "Where in America is your mill located?" I hope this will answer questions all of us have. I know I have been shocked at how many things I thought were American made came from off shore. Just take a look at some of the canned vegetables from well known brands that are imported from China, etc.

Answer came back from [email protected] as follows:

"100% made in America. Cotton is domestic, weaving mill is in South Carolina and printed in Mass. The designs are created in their studio in NY. I addition a portion of the proceeds has been donated to "The National Military Family Association" which benefits all branches of the military and their families."
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 AM

I wonder if the printing is done in the old Webster MA factory. They used to do lots of VIP. I lived one town away in Douglas.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 AM

They also answered on facebook. "Made in America" is so misleading. If they're using this as a selling point, and they should, then Made in the USA would be a much more effective slogan.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Hi all...I got an e-mail response to my question "Where in America is your mill located?" I hope this will answer questions all of us have. (snip)

Answer came back from [email protected] as follows:

"100% made in America. Cotton is domestic, weaving mill is in South Carolina and printed in Mass. The designs are created in their studio in NY. I addition a portion of the proceeds has been donated to "The National Military Family Association" which benefits all branches of the military and their families."
This sounds very good to me. If the fabric is of nice quality I will certainly support this move towards American manufacturing and buy the fabric! Will be watching Walmart (Chinamart) too, to see if they follow through with their proposed 250 billion investment into American manufacturing. I don't shop there anymore, but would consider doing so to buy American made fabrics and goods.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I think I saw where the new fabric at JoAnns is retailing for $8.99/yd... but of course we all wait for sales and coupons! We will probably end up paying about $5 or $6 for it. Not bad!