Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judging for Quilt Shows >

Judging for Quilt Shows

Judging for Quilt Shows

Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
It can be a learning exp. if the judges do comment on your work. It doesn't mean what you did isn't good, just someone else's might have been better in some way. After all, by entering you are asking for the judges opinion.
One of my favorite comments from a judge is "it stood up well to tough competition."

Janet
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LindaM
It also makes a difference in what the show organizers have asked the judges to do ... the Canadian Quilters' Association (governs the show judges for Canadian Guild shows) has very specific guidelines - for example, if the judges are to award first, second and third prizes, they cannot make any comments on any of the quilts; if the organizers are really looking for the judges to review everyone's quilt and comment, that is a different type of judging altogether. Different rules again if monetary prizes are awarded. I don't know all the rules, but I was very surprised by all the limitations placed upon the judging!
Wait, let me understand this.
The judges are supposed to pick the top three, but not make comments on ANY of they submissions? Even for small guild shows?

I would think, especially at the guild level, that would be reason why a lot of quilters enter a show in the first place - to receive the judges comments on the quilts. Constructive criticism. Need more work on the binding, not enough quilting, harmonious color, good border treatment. Pros and cons.

As I wrote above, that's certainly what I took away from listening in on a judging session. Not that I was ever going to enter the quilt in a show, but that it could be better. And over the years, as time has allowed, I've redone the bindings on all my early quilts because they were, in fact, horrible.

How strange not to allow comments.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Judging is definitely regional,, as well as what the judges are looking for.
another point is if the quilter placed the quilt in the correct catagory, was she a professional,, and yes, judges are looking for originality.

It is very important to read the entry rules before making a quilt, and entering it correctly.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM

I remember her (Alex) saying that and have had that experience. One judge might look at the corners, another at the stitching if it's hand quilted. Color plays an important part also. Just do what you like and do your best. It's a learning process.
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
When Simply Quilts was still on the air I heard Alex Anderson mention that she'd entered one of her quilts in a show and it didn't win anything.
Then she entered the same quilt in a different quilt show and it won.
So it's very subjective.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
thats very frustrating...sometimes it really makes you wonder if its just a judge's personal taste...
That would be my thought
Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM

At our show we offer quilters the option to just show their quilt and not have it judged if they so choose. It usually has lettering on it such as NJ meaning Non-judged. Some definitely would have won ribbons had they been judged. People attending the show usually don't know that participants have the option to show their quilt but not to have it judged. Could that be the case at your show?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 AM

So each show could be different! And each judge's opinion!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Vat

Different judges on a different day. The winners would be different. Do your very best work and you choose your own catagory. Hope for the best. You may take home a ribbon. Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 AM

In my quilt guilds quilt show you can decide for yourself whether you want your quilt judged or not. The viewer does not know which quilts are which. We do that so that more quilters will enter their quilts.......many do not want thier quilts judge no matter how good they are.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 AM

I went to this quilt show with my girlfriend. We were
absolutely shocked to see this lighthouse quilt not win anything. We realized the quilt should have been placed in a different category and that had to be why it didn't win.
To me, it was Best Of Show!!!!!!!
Nancy