Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judging for Quilt Shows >

Judging for Quilt Shows

Judging for Quilt Shows

Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
You also have to understand that just because the quilt is in the show, it may not have been judged. People have the option of displaying the quilt in the show, but not having it competitively judged for various reasons.
This is exactly what I was going to mention. Some quilters just do not want to be part of the "competition", but want to show their work. I was surprised at how many of the folks in my quilt guild did that at our last show.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
Originally Posted by Candace
You also have to understand that just because the quilt is in the show, it may not have been judged. People have the option of displaying the quilt in the show, but not having it competitively judged for various reasons.
This is exactly what I was going to mention. Some quilters just do not want to be part of the "competition", but want to show their work. I was surprised at how many of the folks in my quilt guild did that at our last show.
Some guilds allow you the option of having your quilts judged but not put in competition. After the official judging is over, the judge would then look at that pile of quilts and make comments. So this way you can get the feedback from a show judge without being judged against other quilts, which might make some nervous (and usually with no reason). But everyone's different.

And if your guild charges a bit more of an entry fee for a competition quilt, then they can add a nominal surcharge for this service as well. Make some extra money. I think a lot of those that sit on the sidelines would be interested in that option.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Not sure if this was mentioned because I just skimmed responses and did not see it....but at our quilt guild show...you have to pay an entry fee if you want your quilt judged...last year it was $10. Just a thought!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Sometimes people don't want their quilts judged and just enter them "for display". So no matter what the judges think it is not in contention for an award. Perhaps this was the case here. Maybe the quilter worked so hard, she (or he) didn't want their work 'nit-picked" by judges.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by LindaM
It also makes a difference in what the show organizers have asked the judges to do ... the Canadian Quilters' Association (governs the show judges for Canadian Guild shows) has very specific guidelines - for example, if the judges are to award first, second and third prizes, they cannot make any comments on any of the quilts; if the organizers are really looking for the judges to review everyone's quilt and comment, that is a different type of judging altogether. Different rules again if monetary prizes are awarded. I don't know all the rules, but I was very surprised by all the limitations placed upon the judging!
Wait, let me understand this.
The judges are supposed to pick the top three, but not make comments on ANY of they submissions? Even for small guild shows?

I would think, especially at the guild level, that would be reason why a lot of quilters enter a show in the first place - to receive the judges comments on the quilts. Constructive criticism. Need more work on the binding, not enough quilting, harmonious color, good border treatment. Pros and cons.

As I wrote above, that's certainly what I took away from listening in on a judging session. Not that I was ever going to enter the quilt in a show, but that it could be better. And over the years, as time has allowed, I've redone the bindings on all my early quilts because they were, in fact, horrible.

How strange not to allow comments.
The comment was for Canadian judges, as requested by A guild. So, not all Canadian shows are judged this way, and certainly not US shows. Read the rules carefully of any show you're thinking about joining. And go in to learn how to improve your techniques - not to win, and you will never be disappointed.

Each judge's opinions are just that, opinions. They do look at technical details, but it is still their opinions on those details. Knowing this explains why a quilt will place high at one show, but not place or receive some 'improvement' comments, at another one. Each show and judge is different. It's very subjective.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by LindaR
thats very frustrating...sometimes it really makes you wonder if its just a judge's personal taste...
That would be my thought
And yes, this is VERY true.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by LindaM
It also makes a difference in what the show organizers have asked the judges to do ... the Canadian Quilters' Association (governs the show judges for Canadian Guild shows) has very specific guidelines - for example, if the judges are to award first, second and third prizes, they cannot make any comments on any of the quilts; if the organizers are really looking for the judges to review everyone's quilt and comment, that is a different type of judging altogether.
The judges are supposed to pick the top three, but not make comments on ANY of they submissions? Even for small guild shows?
The comment was for Canadian judges, as requested by A guild. So, not all Canadian shows are judged this way, and certainly not US shows. Read the rules carefully of any show you're thinking about joining. And go in to learn how to improve your techniques - not to win, and you will never be disappointed.

Each judge's opinions are just that, opinions. They do look at technical details, but it is still their opinions on those details. Knowing this explains why a quilt will place high at one show, but not place or receive some 'improvement' comments, at another one. Each show and judge is different. It's very subjective.

Hope this helps!
I know it was for Canadian judges. I understand how the judging works. The comment I was referring to just made no sense to me.

I was asking for clarification if, in fact, all the judges did in that instance, was to come in, look at the quilts, pick place winners for 1,2 and 3, and then go home?
Is that for small guild shows, or some of the bigger ones, like the one held in May in Ontario (Waterloo), which has a judged component at the museum in Toronto? What type of show would have that type of judging?

(btw, the Waterloo Festival was my most favorite quilt show ever - it was like a scavenger hunt. We had so much fun.)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

I was at a large show in CA this year and they had 3 judges working as a team, they all had to agree that a quilt would get a ribbon and which place. I found out that sometimes they made concessions to one another, in other words,
"I'll give you this one, if you give me that one". That's just the way it is. Also, if it's a juried show your entering, consider your admission a prize.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Some shows are now judged on a point system (the Maine Quilt show is one). The judges have a sheet with the shows judging criteria on it and points are given for each item on the list. The three judges sheets are added together, divided by 3 and a total point score is given to each quilt.

Ribbons are given to all quilts within whatever range is assigned to that level. So, yes, there can be any number of blue ribbons that way (including none). The purpose of this system is to eliminate competition between individuals and make the judging more subjective.

The quilter gets the score sheet, but there are no individual comments added. So, you know your score, but you have no suggestions for improvement.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
MTS
Banned

Ah, okay. Now that makes much more sense to me - at least the quilter gets something back from the judges in the form of a point scores. You can infer a lot from that sheet as well (if you're so inclined).
Thanks so much for the clarification.