Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just curious - foot with a guide? >

Just curious - foot with a guide?

Just curious - foot with a guide?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:00 AM

I like my foot with the guide, I have used the knee lift maybe a couple of times in the last 10 years, it's just easier for me to use my hand.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:13 AM

I haven't found a 1/4" yet that is accurate without some fiddling so I have come to rely on a seam guide that attaches to the bed of the machine. The one for my Juki is just about the best. My seams wander a bit because my hands shake a little, but with a guide they only wander in one direction. I couldn't live without my knee lift, and I also use my foot pedal with my left foot. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. The only drawback for me is that most foot pedals have a short cord because they're meant to be used on the right side.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 AM

I have one (seam guide) for my Pfaff Exp 3.0. Unfortunately, I found that the guide is wider that 1/4" ! So, back to using the line I've drawn on the extension table.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Suz

I use my knee lift with my right knee and stitch with my left. Had to learn to use the left when I was wearing a "fancy" boot on my right foot. Yes, it took some getting used to, but the advantage of using the lift, is that you do not have to remove either hand from your project. At first I tried to use the lift and stitch with my right foot but this caused a lot of unwanted stitches. -- Rather than a seam guide, I move the needle and the edge of my foot. I also have a built in walking foot which I find helpful.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 AM

I am one who totally loves both my knee lift and the quarter inch foot with the guide. Before I had the quarter inch foot, my piecing was not that good, I use that foot now for all piecing!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have two Bernina machines and one Singer 401A in a cabinet. The Singer foot control slips into a bracket and becomes a knee control which I got used to lots of years ago. Therefore, I have never gotten comfortable with the knee lifter control with the other machines. I am happy to use the foot control on the floor. I have a #37 patchwork foot without a guide and I like that very much. We are creatures of habit. I'm glad you are back to sewing and quilting.
My Singer 301 had a foot pedal mounted on the custom built cabinet so that it was controlled by my knee and I used that for 40 years. Then I got the Bernina with a knee lift for the presser foot. I did try to use that, but have not been able to use it consistently, even though I have not used the Singer much for about 30 years.
I can certainly see how important that knee control for the presser foot is for difficult seams but I don't have the time to try something new. I'm too busy doing it the old way.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM

foot with a guide? I've never tried using one so can't say.

My knee lift? Love it and considered it "required" for future machine purchases. It did mean I had to buy the top of the line serger to get it. I'm not so in love with the electronic one on my Babylock as it lifts full height, so if I only need a bit I still use the hand one (hmm, wonder if I can change a setting so it won't lift it full height . . .)

With my serger and Juki straight stitch, it is mechanical so I can use my knee to lift it only as high as I need. I rarely use the hand lift.

Sew with left foot? never even thought to try it.

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 PM

I love my 1/4" with a guide … my blocks are more accurate I don't know what I would do without it!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 PM

I have slight vertical strabismus (eyes aren't aligned) so I have a hard time judging 1/4". Thus, I find my 1/4" foot with guide to be a lifesaver. I really don't know what I'd do without it.

What I'd really like is a screw-in seam guide so I could use my nicer zig-zag foot, but I haven't found one for my Pfaff (7550). If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:18 AM

After a mystery weekend of sewing with the guide and finding that all my 1/4" seams were off because the guide was flexible, I removed the guide and now only use painter's tape or the 1/4" foot from my Viking 6440 that never had a guide and finally have consistent 1/4" seams. The 1/4" foot is actually 1/4" without the guide. That guide is just a gimmick to get us to think we need to purchase yet another foot.