Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just got back from Wal-Mart... >

just got back from Wal-Mart...

just got back from Wal-Mart...

Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Most of the ones here have quit carrying bolts, but the one I went to today still has bolts as well as charm packs, fat quarters, etc. I was interested in the charm packs but they cost just under what I would pay in a quilt store and I could tell the fabric wouldn't be as nice.

They did still have *some* nice fabric on bolts, but I don't think it will be there much longer.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
Same thing happened at my store. The lady who ran it said she kept ordering it and it came but then they got rid of it really fast and now they are remodeling. The pharmacy was in a box near the front door. Their part if finished and now the pharmacists can't hard anymore. We can see them beind their counter LOL. Also the front restrooms are closed until they are finished which seems to be taking a long time.
That's the same routine they followed in remodeling our WM.

The aisles are wider now, and the stock is significantly less. Many popular name brands are missing.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Sylvia, since you asked about my quilt, I hope you come back and read this. It is a framed nine patch, but I didn't make a nine patch, I just cut one large square of fabric. I am a fairly new quilter, and I really like making quilts out of plain fabrics...not the norm, I know. I got the instructions online. Just Google framed nine patch and it will probably come up. The one shown is blue and green with gray, I think.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM

We have 2 Walmarts here in our town. One still has fabric and the other remodeled a couple years ago got rid of their fabric dept. The Walmart that does have fabric has a small selection. My only gripe is they seldom get in new fabrics. Same fabrics day after day, year after year. They get in some seasonal fabrics but they are very poor quality. But for some reason, they have an awesome selection of flannel, especially prints.

I agree about the layaway! We have a Kmart that does layaway but I really do not like that store.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM

i wrote a nice letter to walmart re fabric and how we (those who have to travel to find a fabric store ) would also find other places to do the rest of our purchases such as groceries. they were sorry but they are going to replace fabric with party supplies. go figure!!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM

I found Dina's Quilt on line, here is the link.
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...atch_quilt.htm

however, to get to that link there were several others, and since I am an enabler...here is the link I found Dina's pattern on!!!
http://quilting.about.com/od/babyqui...t_patterns.htm

So I guess now we can all add about 100 new projects to our to-do lists!!!! :)

Thank you Dina for telling me where to look!

~Sylvia~
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM

The Walmart here that remodeled put in a large section of party supplies. More stuff there put on clearance than anywhere.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Our store fabric area suddenly got smaller thn it was down to fat quarters only.This was done without telling the staff I'm sure as when the rumors started the staff was not aware. Now I travel at least an hour to go to a fabric shop. This happened to 2 local stores when renos were done!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Our Walmart is in the process of getting rid of their fabric. Some is going to another store, but I don't know what they are doing with the rest of the fabric. They still have some nice fabric, but I've noticed that they were getting a lot of really cheap thin fabric in lately.
They say they are going to make the party section larger. Now I ask you, am I more apt to have parties, or sew and quilt? I have only one birthday a year, but I buy more fabric for my stash. How many people have 'party supply stashes'?
As for Hobby Lobby, there is a really nice one near my daughter's home in a NW Chicago suburb (4 1/2 hours away) and they have material on sale all the time. It is better and about the same price as Walmart's newest cheap fabric. I guess I'll have to go a little out of my way and go to some Hobby Lobbys in near by towns. I have 2 about 3 miles farther than the Joann's stores.
When I stop going to Walmart for fabric, I won't be buying other things there either. If I have to go out of town for fabric, I might as well buy other things while I'm at it rather than going ot Walmart for them. Oh ya, they plan to keep some of their sewing machines. What sense does that make??
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM

3 stores around me and none have fabric...1 did but they remodeled. My husband and I drive truck and we frequently stop at walmart to shop. If I run across a store with fabric I head straight there and pick up some material for my stash. I was told that only approx. 1000 stores of all the walmarts are going to carry fabric....they say you should complain to their corp. store and maybe you will be able to keep the fabric in your area. :P