Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I have lots of stories about sewing, mending and quilting requests. I could practically write a book on the craziness people have in their heads about the lowly skill of this type of work. But, I have a turning point story about when I finally learned to stand up for my work, time and money.

My sister brought a friend of hers over to visit who was soon to be a step-grandmother. She wanted to see some of my ufo's and I happily brought her up to my sewing room to show her my work. She fell in love with one baby quilt and offed to pay me for it when it was finished. But could I get it done soon. I said ok, and placed my current project aside to finish it up for her.

Four days later it was done and ready for her to pick up. I modestly asked for $65.00. It was crib sized and lots of hand appliqued animals with a circus bear on a ball in the center. Really cute done in light purples, aqua and a golden tan. The custom quilting turned out wonderful and she was thrilled until I told her how much I wanted for it. She asked, Why so much?

I honestly don't know where it came from, but, I said, "Well, let me see, how about you work a week and provide all of your needed supplies and utilities plus your salary. Just how much would that be? She pulled out her wallet and paid up without another word. I felt so liberated! People can relate when it comes to their own spent personal time and work pay.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-15-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
Many years ago, a co-worker saw me working on my quilt at break-time. He wanted me to make one for him, and he would pay for it. We agreed on the price. He wanted a TATW, so I brought in various fabrics from my stash, he chose what he wanted, and I made the quilt, as agreed.
When I took the finished quilt in, he said "I don't have the money right now, but I will take it home, and pay you next week". I told him that I would bring it back the next week, and I did. I got the same story the next week. I took it in the following week, and got the same story, so I took it home, and even though I wasn't crazy about his color choices, I kept the quilt and put it on my bed.
A few weeks later, I overheard him telling another co-worker about how I had "shafted" him out of his quilt, and kept it for myself. I still make quilts, but I have never, ever tried to sell one again. I make one quilt a year that is raffled off at my family reunion, and the rest are given to family members, or as wedding gifts.
I"m afraid I would have been tempted to say "It will be your quilt as soon as you pay me for it", smile and go on my way. People are so nervy! It reminds me of why I don't do quilts or clothing for others.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
Many years ago, a co-worker saw me working on my quilt at break-time. He wanted me to make one for him, and he would pay for it. We agreed on the price. He wanted a TATW, so I brought in various fabrics from my stash, he chose what he wanted, and I made the quilt, as agreed.
When I took the finished quilt in, he said "I don't have the money right now, but I will take it home, and pay you next week". I told him that I would bring it back the next week, and I did. I got the same story the next week. I took it in the following week, and got the same story, so I took it home, and even though I wasn't crazy about his color choices, I kept the quilt and put it on my bed.
A few weeks later, I overheard him telling another co-worker about how I had "shafted" him out of his quilt, and kept it for myself. I still make quilts, but I have never, ever tried to sell one again. I make one quilt a year that is raffled off at my family reunion, and the rest are given to family members, or as wedding gifts.
It is a good thing you didn't give it to him on the promise that he would pay the next week. The chance that he would have paid for it is almost zero. No money, no quilt.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Bless you all! I am still new to quilting, but have been producing regularly, and have really really enjoyed giving most of them away. I have been telling everyone I am too new to quilting to charge for my quilt when people start asking for me to make them one. I recently switched to just saying no. If pushed I point out that taking orders would change my hobby to a job. The horror stories from you folks have firmly reinforced my "no".
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

I seem to have gotten myself into one of these situations.

I promised my sister and her hubby a tee shirt quilt for their bed. I was expecting they'd get a queen or even smaller for their first apartment together.

I forgot how cheap housing can be in rural VA. They got a nice big house and a king bed for it.

So now honor demands that I, in my 600 sq foot apartment somehow manage to construct a king-sized quilt for them.

I swear, if I offer quilts for a wedding in the future, it will be "These can be his and hers lap quilts, or save them for your firstborn."
Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Kelly_Y, I'm in sort of the same boat. My paternal grandmother was an avid quilter and seamstress, she passed away about 15 years ago. About 2 years ago my aunt (who has health problems) told me she'd saved some of her mom's handmade dresses with the intention to make a quilt but knew she'd never get around to doing it. (hint, hint, right?) So I said I'd be happy to take the dresses and make a quilt. I was imagining maybe 5 dresses...she had her husband go fetch this gigantic tote with Thirty dresses in it!!

Grandma was a generously-sized lady so there's a lot of fabric to work with, all florals. My grandmother had 7 children so I decided I'd make 7 quilts....that was nearly 2 years ago and I'm almost done with the first one. All the heavy florals are really hard for me to get any sort of pattern out of, it all blends into flowery mishmash. I've started three different patterns and scrapped them all, because there was just not enough contrast.

I still don't mind doing it, but it has turned into quite the chore because the fabrics are all so similar. I finally got frustrated and just chopped everything into 2-1/2" strips, I'm going to just do a whole bunch of simple jelly-roll type patterns and get this done. I'm adding solid white so there's some places for the eyes to rest. I feel better now that I have a plan, but still...what was I thinking?!? Now that I've started, I can't stop.

I can't wait to get these all done, and then I think I am Never going to use floral fabric again!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 AM

Sewnoma, you're a brave woman! I don't think I would have even attempted a pattern with all of that "flowery mishmash". I think I would have just cut them all up into squares and made a simple checkerboard design with white squares. But then, by the time I was finished, I'd probably be bored out of my gourd and never want to do another checkerboard quilt again!

Last edited by SherylM; 05-17-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Kelly_Y, I'm in sort of the same boat.
If you have some solids (that you are willing to use/sacrifce for the project) - you could resort to making 9-patch quilts with white sashing. (Although other colors might also work for sashing.)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 AM

Yeah, when doing groups of quilts, or any kind of project really, it's a good idea to set out with one or a few nice, simple designs so it will get done. Good idea throwing in some white.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ND Quilter View Post
Here is my story. After living in a motor home with my 93 year old mother for 7 1/2 weeks following a flood in 2011, a man who was working in my basement at $40.00 an hour asked me to make his wife a quilt. I knew her as a friend and a fellow teacher. I told him I would if he paid for the supplies and paid me for my time. He agreed. I gave him in itemized estimate just like he had given me. I figured it would take about 12 yards of fabric at $12.00 a yard. I work at a local quilt shop and knew that was the going price. I added in the price for batting, thread and other supplies. I am a long arm quilter and have my own machine so I added the cost for quilting. I also added $40.00 per hour for my time. I figured if his time was worth $40.00 an hour, so was mine. When he was here for the end of the project, and presented me with the final bill, I gave him my estimate. It came to $1350.00. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him to make his wife a quilt.
Hey ND Quilter, What did you end up paying him for the basement? Probably not less than $1300.