Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing? >

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I put a drop of glue at critical intersections and then hit it with the iron to set it. Helps a lot. I am working on a top right now that had a lot of those in the blocks. But I often go back to pinning when assembling the blocks together. It all depends. But I don't glue baste entire seams and fail to see the benefit of it when, in my experience, a drop at intersections where they absolutely must line up works just as well.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:25 AM

I show my quilts, I almost always glue baste. I use a bottle with a needle nose tip and heat sit it with a mini iron while sitting at my sewing machine - it's quicker then using pins. Plus I can see that it matches before I sew it. When pressing, I glue the seams in the direction I want them to go so when I'm ready to quilt I never have a seam flip. Recently, I've been using glue to baste my sandwich together before I FMQ quilt it on my old Singer 201. I'm loving the results.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Not as much as I should. I think glue helps a lot with accuracy. Sometimes I just forget to use it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I think you'd probably get the same responses from asking who pins. I pin just about everything, some of my friends just pin intersections.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I think you'd probably get the same responses from asking who pins.
So true! I use pins to hold blocks to my design wall, rarely use them for anything else. I think they make a pin cushion look pretty. LOL I use Wonder clips or glue. I also use Wonder Tape a lot too.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 AM

I love glue basting for my quilt sandwiches. Why didn't I ever think of it for matching seams? Duh! I'll definitely try it next time.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:15 AM

That purple daisy link didn't work for me, just goes to a blank page.

This is the tip I use.

http://apassionatequilter.blogspot.c...etal-tips.html

I originally bought them from Sharon Schamber, but I've also seen them sold at arts & crafts stores such as Michael's, you can also find them at bow & arrow supply stores (weird?).

The quilter in the link above is correct, you can just screw the tip right onto the end of the Elmer's bottle. She seems to take hers on and off and wash it out between uses, but I found that I could just stick an applique pin in the end as a plug. I use the Elmer's washable school glue.

To answer the original question, I use glue for matching difficult seams, and applique.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 AM

I’ve only used it one time and it was great. I was making a quilt with jelly roll strips and for some reason it was so much easier to put a drop of Elmer’s on the matching seams. Didn’t even iron it.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I have tried it not really a good deal for me.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:58 AM

I used it a lot when I was doing QAYG. Haven't used it for piecing, but makes sense to use it on critical points or intersections, so I may go back to it. I have the metal applicator tip on an Elmer's glue bottle. It gets clogged with dried glue and I have to spend time cleaning it every time. Is an applique pin different than a regular pin? Putting a regular pin in the applicator tip ends up rusted. Any one else have any clever ideas to "close" the applicator tip and avoid drying?