Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing? >

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:11 AM

If you look in the paint section of the craft store, there are white plastic tips that fit onto the elmers bottles to narrow the nozzle. I have glued hard y seams but nothing else. I know people who go for show perfection glue them all.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:13 AM

I use elmers washable school glue to baste my sandwiched quilts, even king size, FMQ on a domestic, never have a problem sewing through the glued layers. Then when finished, wash the quilt. Works great, no more pinning or using caustic sprays.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I very rarely do it. I would rather rip the seam half a dozen times than fool with trying to get it glued just right and then dried and then sewn, only to find out, I didn't have it matched up perfectly. As you can guess, I have a love/hate relationship with glue. I have been know to sew a horizontal tacking seam to hold a point in a specific place to get it sewn perfectly. If you leave the ends about an inch long, they are very easy to pull out.
I feel the same as you about glue. We just don't get along!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 AM

When I pin I always manage to impale myself multiple times, so I love glue! Also keeps seams from shifting. I pin at intersections when sewing blocks or rows together. I use the end of the plastic things that come from garment tags to seal my tip. That's what came with mine when I bought them.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 AM

I suppose if I were doing a show quilt or an intricate pieced wall hanging I would glue baste but for regular bed quilts I just will not take the time. I am very satisfied with my piecing skills and although not "perfect" it is good enough for me. I just have a hard time justifying the amount of time involved. I have too many quilts to make and as they say, "ain't got time for that".
Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO View Post
I used it a lot when I was doing QAYG. Haven't used it for piecing, but makes sense to use it on critical points or intersections, so I may go back to it. I have the metal applicator tip on an Elmer's glue bottle. It gets clogged with dried glue and I have to spend time cleaning it every time. Is an applique pin different than a regular pin? Putting a regular pin in the applicator tip ends up rusted. Any one else have any clever ideas to "close" the applicator tip and avoid drying?
Check your local hardware store for "Caulk Backer Rod." Basically a foam noodle that can be cut into half-inch sections to be used as a cheap version of PinMoors. I put one over the applicator tip and, just 'cause, put a little glue inside to dry and block any potential airflow. I used a needle/thread to make a tie to go around the glue bottle so the cover doesn't get lost.[ATTACH=CONFIG]597647[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20180710_181730.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO View Post
I used it a lot when I was doing QAYG. Haven't used it for piecing, but makes sense to use it on critical points or intersections, so I may go back to it. I have the metal applicator tip on an Elmer's glue bottle. It gets clogged with dried glue and I have to spend time cleaning it every time. Is an applique pin different than a regular pin? Putting a regular pin in the applicator tip ends up rusted. Any one else have any clever ideas to "close" the applicator tip and avoid drying?
for a hint at thenquilt shop to use those plastic things that hook tags onto clothes. They are free and don’t rust.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Check your local hardware store for "Caulk Backer Rod." Basically a foam noodle that can be cut into half-inch sections to be used as a cheap version of PinMoors. I put one over the applicator tip and, just 'cause, put a little glue inside to dry and block any potential airflow. I used a needle/thread to make a tie to go around the glue bottle so the cover doesn't get lost.[ATTACH=CONFIG]597647[/ATTACH]
great tip! thanks
Old 07-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I use glue stick when I glue much easier to be precise and get it right the first time
I also use a glue stick...it's "slippery when wet"..so you can slide the points around to match , or with a 9 patch, line up the seams, then flip one side back to about 1/4" to see if it looks good...if it does, then I pinch my seams one more time, and move on to the next piece..by the time I'm ready to sew, it's dry enough. No pins, seams are lined up..makes everything go very quickly.
I also use a glue stick for machine applique, I can't stand to cut an oversized piece of fabric, only to have to trim a lot of it away after I sew down the outline..with a glue stick I can get away with using a much smaller piece of fabric.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I very rarely do it. I would rather rip the seam half a dozen times than fool with trying to get it glued just right and then dried and then sewn, only to find out, I didn't have it matched up perfectly. As you can guess, I have a love/hate relationship with glue. I have been know to sew a horizontal tacking seam to hold a point in a specific place to get it sewn perfectly. If you leave the ends about an inch long, they are very easy to pull out.
I never sew my glue pieces until I checked to see if it was right. It's easy to pull the glue pieces apart and re stick.