Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing? >

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Just wondering how many glue baste their piecing?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:42 AM

I use Elmer's Glue when I want my points to match up perfectly (or near perfectly) and when I add my binding on. I add the glue on the seam edge and press it down with the iron, take it to the machine and stitch all around without having to worry about straight pins sticking me. I keep lots of Elmer's Glue handy. It washes out.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM

I used to use a tip but found it a nuisance. Then I found 2oz bottles of Elmers that allow my arthritic hand to squeeze easily and just open the bottle tip a little bit to get a very fine line or drop. I refill from the big bottle.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Loved finding out about glue basting with washable glue sticks. I used it a lot when I was making the blocks for the plaid shirt string quilt.

I now use that knowledge at times when I'm sewing garments. Sometimes it takes a jillion pins (like setting sleeves) and its hard to sew without hitting one and breaking a needle. My handy little glue stick buddies avoid all of that.

As for the actual question, I use it any time I want to avoid sliding. I haven't been brave enough to make blocks where it's crucial for the points to line up yet, (bawk, baaawwwk!) but when I do, I'll def be using glue sticks. I still haven't gotten a little metal lid, but I'm going to try that 2 oz bottle idea first. Then the large bore blunt needle syringes, *then* I'll break down and buy one. They're ridiculously expensive IMHO.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
That must be very time-consuming, basting every seam.
If you mean this for me, I don't baste every seam. Just the ones that are super difficult. I nest my seams and usually am within a 16th of an inch, which is okay with me. The patterns like the Lone Star quilts where everything is on an angle and meeting from different directions are the only ones I have to baste. And sometimes that didn't help a lot. I don't tolerate the seams being off by even 1/8 inch so I am my own worse critic. I do fairly good with using pins most of the time.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO View Post
I have the metal applicator tip on an Elmer's glue bottle. It gets clogged with dried glue and I have to spend time cleaning it every time. Is an applique pin different than a regular pin? Putting a regular pin in the applicator tip ends up rusted.
Here's a picture of a regular pin and an applique pin. My applique pins don't rust. I've been using and storing my Elmer's glue with this pin for the last 4-5 years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597561[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails elmers-pin.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 PM

I got tired of inaccuracy, so last quilt I glue basted all the Accuquilt cut HST while I watched TV. It was so much better and went together like a dream.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks Peckish! I will find some applique pins! Love this board. So much knowledge readily shared.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

Just make sure any glue is washable! Elmer’s has several varieties - I use the washable school glue all the time. More for basting the sandwich than for piecing.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 AM

I use glue for applique and difficult spots. I use Elmers school glue sticks, the purple ones a lot. I also love Roxannes glue baste it. These are the best glues I have ever used.The Roxannes seems a little pricey but it lasts forever. I just finished a wall hanging last night that I want to show off at guild tonight. I glues the binding to the back until I have time to sew it down. A thin line of Roxannes and an iron and it was in place in no time. No pins to stick me.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:11 AM

I use elmers wasable school glue to baste my sandwich quits, even king size, FMQ on a domwstic, never have a problem sewing through the glued layers. Then when finished, wash the quilt. Works great, no more pinning or using caustic sprays.