Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room >

Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room

Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I have white ceramic tile in my sewing room. The white makes the room feel fresh and clean.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 PM

I have vinyl tiles in my kitchen - been there for twenty-five years. The swiffer gets used at least three times a week, but I only have to actually mop and wax(remember that? I use mop and glow) about once a year. Sure there are some scratches on it from moving the fridge, but it has held up really well. I am going to get really tired of it before it wears out.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
We just had Congoleum DuraPlank II - which is marketed as a luxury Vinyl Plank - put down in family room, halls, one bath room. It too looks like hardwood plank, but MUCH more durable and you don't have to refinish it AND it is water resistant, has a ScotchGard protector that eliminates the need for chemical cleaners or polishes - simply wipe or damp mop with water to clean. It has a warranty that covers for a lifelong period that it will not wear out, stain, fade & / or be free of manufacturing defects. I know I sound like a commercial for them. But it was the PERFECT fit for our house, dogs, cats, and lifestyle. Google Congoleum DuraPlank II - and give it a look! Yes, they recommend you don't run wheeled furniture over it - but I didn't before.
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]I say talk to your flooring shops - read, research - and figure out your budget for your flooring! Then sit back and enjoy it!
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
We put a similar product - Allure - in our dining room. Lifetime warranty; waterproof; looks like distressed walnut planks. I LOVE it. Still need to get an area rug for sound deadening. In my sewing room I have hardwood (cuz that part of the house is about 250 yrs old) and an area rug. I would definitely go with the vinyl plank - very natural looking. In fact, when we're ready to replace the carpet in other parts of the house, it's what I'll be going with.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 AM

Over here, at least, laminate has developed to stage that some premium brands are more expensive than hard wood and can carry a 25 year guarantee. I replaced a laminate floor in my hall which had a brand (cheap) that I referred to as 'clackety-clack' as that was the sound it made when you walked on it, with another laminate called Amtico. I loved the fact that I could add a border and had 3x Mariner's Compasses inlaid.

I once had cushion floor vinyl in a kitchen and dropped a knife. The knife remained upright making a hole in the vinyl - something to bear in mind if you're going to drop those pointy seam rippers and scissors...........
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 AM

I have laminate in my kitchen - the laminate that looks like tile. Seems durable, bar stools sliding across it all the time at the counter, and I see no wear. Just keep any standing water away from it. I use my steamer to clean it. I found that there are different levels of plastic sheeting that goes underneath it - buy the thicker stuff, it makes it easier to stand and walk on. I have had both the inexpensive and the more costly, and you can definitely feel the difference under foot!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 AM

I thought soft squishy vinyl would be great. The squishy had ridges ups and down puffs, only was to clean was on floor on knees with a scrub brush. I will take laminate wood ny day.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Ask your flooring guy!!!!
My husband identifies himself as "the floor guy". Lol! He lays hardwoods and laminate. To show the durability of laminate he takes his car keys and scrapes it into the sample. No scratches. We have hardwoods in some rooms, but laminate in our office where we roll around in a desk chair. Still looks like new. I'm not crazy about laminate (partial to real wood) but for durability I'd sure go with it. After years of managing apartments, I wouldn't put vinyl anywhere, but that's just my opinion. :-)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 AM

We put in laminate flooring in my sewing room and I have been very happy with it. The only thing I would change, is the vapor barrier underneath it. Since it is on a concrete base, I think that if we had laid down 2 layers of barrier, it might have helped keep the floor warmer in winter (Northern Indiana)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 AM

I have laminate flooring in my basement sewing studio. I was surprised at how warm it is in the winter time. I can be down there in my slippers without me feet getting cold. It is so easy to clean, and find pins on. It got wet one time when the sump pump failed, and didn't even damage it. I have vinyl flooring in my kitchen, and it is a scratched mess. I would really love to have bamboo flooring in the kitchen, but expensive.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 AM

I had exactly the same dilemma about 4 months ago. I opted for an oak laminate as my sewing room is upstairs and just off my lovely new oak stairs. We thought that the continuity of style and colour would ensure that I am part of the house and not a 'shut away' bit of it. We went for a good underlay which does make a difference. Of course, it is now very difficult to see just what the floor covering actually is.........! Regards Jacki