Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilts--115 >

Lap Quilts--115

Lap Quilts--115

Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM

I agree with Dunster, it may not be practical. Homeless don't really need lap quilts, they need larger ones like sleeping bags. Here is a link to the sleeping bag project- http://www.uglyquilts.org/

Money being an issue might make it even harder. Even if you buy old clothes at Goodwill, it still costs money. Plus something for the batting and backing-I guess old sheets would work but you still have to buy them. Unless you've gotten a lot of donations, but it usually takes time to develop a network for donations.

Have her check her local freecycle group. She may be able to get a lot of donations that way. Garage sales at the end of the day-people may just give her bags of stuff so they don't have to put it back into the house.

Maybe make large tote bags with a small pocket for the bible and add some toiletries or food inside the bag. Call around different designs stores to see if they will donate their old samples.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 PM

i am not sure how one on a "poor limited budget" would be able to make that many quilts (fabric, batting, binding, quilting or tying) in the time frame given. my 2012 quilting goal was to get one quilt completed every month so i can not imagine 115. perhaps the goal needs to be reassessed and look at what can be accomplished with the budget and any donations received. i would say on the small end a lap quilt size would be 45" x 60" up to 60" x 72".

there are many simple quilt patterns available free by doing an internet search. for quilt backs and batting, you can search the thrift stores for blankets to use for batting and sheets to use for quilt backs also used clothing that you can use for quilt pieces. does the 22 year old have others to help her make quilts? hopefully she has plenty of help. good luck on this journey.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM
cjr

Using fleece for backing would save time and money for batting. The stores here have tons of fleece and always on sale.. Sew pillow case style and turn. Sew open end closed. Light quilting keeps both layers in place. Fleece is warm and durable. Perhaps you can get a girl scout troop involved in this service project. They can very quickly tie fleece blankets. Not the handmade with love quilts, but a lot less work.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Yes it is possible. For three consecutive years I made a minimum of 200 lap quilts a year for our local hospice and hospital pediatrics ward. The key is to have someone tie the quilts instead of machine quilting them. The quilts I made were 42x60.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM

It is very possible, especially if your friend has help. I have a nurse friend who quilts about 30 quilts a month for a slew of charities - the hospital, QOV, Linus, veterans, etc. She has 2 longarms - one is computer driven, the other is FMQ, so she often is quilting 2 quilts at the same time. She does some piecing, but she also gets a lot of donated tops that she quilts.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 AM

Yes, it is quite possible, but not cheap. They are a lot smaller than full sized quilts and take a lot less time. If you do have friends tie them, they will be faster, as well.

But, I also wonder about giving lap quilts to the homeless. Are these homeless men or women? Do they live in a shelter? Do they even want them?

I ask all these things, because I give away a lot of quilts here in Poland. I am not sure that the homeless here would actually utilize a quilt. A blanket would be a bit easier to carry around. And, frankly, if it is for the homeless who aren't looking to change, as opposed to a person who is going through a hard time, then maybe making those "ugly quilts" as some groups do, would be entirely appropriate. (I know that some believe that only beautiful quilts should be given to charity, and this isn't meant as a criticism, just an observation.)

I think it just means knowing your target group. If it is women who are homeless, but will soon be in a home again, then by all means, go for it, but if they are men who are homeless because they prefer the streets or tents to a shelter or home, then you need to decide if you are wasting your money on something beautiful for them. They would do fine with two sheets tied with a blanket in the middle for warmth since beauty means nothing to them. Save your money and effort for someone who will actually appreciate it and maybe even cry over how beautiful it is and how much it means to them.

But, yes, it is possible. Money is needed, however. If the girls' sewing skills are limited, she will need help.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Yes, it can be done if she enlists help from others. But honestly, why would a homeless person want a lap quilt? Small quilts for homeless children in shelters would be useful, but for adults?
Maybe she could consider a drawstring bag that would hold the Bible and toiletries. That would be something that could be used to carry things or perhaps later filled with a few clothes and used as a pillow. Even more useful would be if the bags were designed with straps and could be carried as a backpack.

Bless you for helping her plan her project!

Dayle
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Banned

Yes you can,. However, it will depend on the detail of the quilts. I have done it but mine were one piece for top and quilted in long straight lines. I don't believe you can do it even with using just squares. It takes me between 3-4 hrs to do one. That is doing the hand work on binding while watching tv.
I sat a goal for myself for 2012 and am already behind. My goal was 3 per week which for me is doable but I don't work and can schedule my time.
In my opinion it is too ambitious for someone who does not have the trained skills even for simple quilting.
Where they go is also critical in the type made. I assume she is a student which will certainly interfere with getting them all completed.
Why 105?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 AM

First of all any thing is possible if you set your mind to it! This is a tremendous young lady to even want to take this on. I believe that wether the lap quilts are appropriate or not for the recpients is not an issue after all a lap quilt would feel very good on the stone pillow the homeless lay their heads on..... The bags are also a good idea . If there are still gidieons around I am sure they would donate the bibles. I would not shut her down with negativity,it is wonderful that a young person wants to take a project like this on when many young persons of this age are worried about what to wear to the party and having the latest and greatest fashion, the latest smart phone ..........
Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
If there are still gidieons around I am sure they would donate the bibles. I would not shut her down with negativity,it is wonderful that a young person wants to take a project like this on when many young persons of this age are worried about what to wear to the party and having the latest and greatest fashion, the latest smart phone ..........
For sure, I agree about her goals and her being a wonderful girl, but I disagree about the Gideons. I got into trouble once by asking for New Testaments to give away at Christmas time and wow...I got a phone call from the head hauncho here.. who had gotten in trouble from headquarters because they aren't supposed to give multiple Bibles to someone to give away--THEY are supposed to give them away personally and not give them to others who then give them away. ??

So, unless they can work with a person who is a little less "letter of the law" than that Gideon, she won't get far by contacting them.