Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilts--115 >

Lap Quilts--115

Lap Quilts--115

Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
For sure, I agree about her goals and her being a wonderful girl, but I disagree about the Gideons. I got into trouble once by asking for New Testaments to give away at Christmas time and wow...I got a phone call from the head hauncho here.. who had gotten in trouble from headquarters because they aren't supposed to give multiple Bibles to someone to give away--THEY are supposed to give them away personally and not give them to others who then give them away. ??

So, unless they can work with a person who is a little less "letter of the law" than that Gideon, she won't get far by contacting them.
WOW I had no idea, of course it has been 30 plus years since I had anything to do with church/religious organizations. Times have changed a little since then lol. I guess I remember the gidieons that used to come to church to testify of their "life changing" stories that seemed to want notheing more than to "spread the word"
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC View Post
I wanted to know if it is possible to make 115 lap quilts by Nov 2012.There is a young (22) yr old that wants to make these for the homeless and put a small bible in a pocket on the quilts.I am new to the quilt world here.I have learned alot from everyone butt I couldnt answer her questions......she is also on a limited.......I mean poor limited budget.......I have ask my friends for any fabric--shirts--they dont want...............can she get this done..........ADVICE................what size is a lap quilt?????......Thanks.......

If she wants to do that many, her best bet is to keep them all to a standard size, perhaps 45 by 72, and just make the sandwiches of two pieces of fabric and whatever she wants to use for batting, thrift store blankets are fairly cheap. And just tack them, not try to do any quilting. That's about 4 a week.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM

And forget "lap" quilt, make it at least as long a most people. Using standard size fabric---42-45" wide and about 6 ft long.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Good Will Stores are a great place to find cheap fabric....whether it be actual pieces to cut or shirts/dresses to cut pieces from....or sheets.....check garage sales too or Craigs List
Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
For sure, I agree about her goals and her being a wonderful girl, but I disagree about the Gideons. I got into trouble once by asking for New Testaments to give away at Christmas time and wow...I got a phone call from the head hauncho here.. who had gotten in trouble from headquarters because they aren't supposed to give multiple Bibles to someone to give away--THEY are supposed to give them away personally and not give them to others who then give them away. ??

So, unless they can work with a person who is a little less "letter of the law" than that Gideon, she won't get far by contacting them.
Surely this is NOT the case through out the " Gideon" organization.... otherwise..... with that reasoning, a " Gideon volunteer " would have to individually place each bible in each hotel room. ? I doubt this was done...
It's worth a inquiry....
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
Surely this is NOT the case through out the " Gideon" organization.... otherwise..... with that reasoning, a " Gideon volunteer " would have to individually place each bible in each hotel room. ? I doubt this was done...
It's worth a inquiry....
Probably so. I've wondered, but not pursued it further, choosing rather to sew instead. ;0

And we had some people whose house burned down a few days ago(a communal place that had 30 people in it)--I've got quilts for them if they want them as they relocate to new housing. One lady came on Sunday to ask for quilts--I felt so bad for her--she was in shock as she lost everything except their lives!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Good Will Stores are a great place to find cheap fabric....whether it be actual pieces to cut or shirts/dresses to cut pieces from....or sheets.....check garage sales too or Craigs List
Great ideas! Also, she can spread the word to her friends and families and families of the friends, or even a college nearby that she could use their 'old' blankets, etc. I think she might be surprised what she might end up with. She might need to ask for some laundry detergent to go along with it!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

If she decides to go the donation route, I will pledge 5 quilts totally finished. Perhaps giving the quilters the chance to "pledge" an exact number will seem more doable. Let us know if you want it to go this way. Carole
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 AM
jme

IT's possible with help from this wonderful group of people. Write a post in the request section, people will reply. I would help too. Send me a PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM

I will pledge too