Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilts--115 >

Lap Quilts--115

Lap Quilts--115

Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 AM

If you do a very simple pattern like steps, it could be done. does she have a serger, she can do the batting, top and bottom all together, this way she could do a few in a day. If she needs material, I'll donate, pm me.

Cookie64
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM

The key is the pattern and if her fabric stash is there for her to go non stop
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Last year I made 38 quilts that were 54" x 78" in less than 2 months so I will say yes it's doable, but I've been sewing for well over 40 years and know my way around a sewing machine. Even though I just started learning the quilting basics in the past 3 or 4 years my previous experience with sewing helped out a lot.

I also did mine with some very cost effective short cuts and I DO NOT quilt my tops, I tie them which is so much faster when you use the cheap blankets ($5 each) as batting instead of the $15 - $25 or more batting that most quilters use. It works great and is very warm as well. You don't have to tie every 4 to 6 inches either, I usually ties at the block corners only which is any where between 8 and 12 inches. I know a lot of "real quilters" here are throwing stuff at me by now but when you are on a budget and still want to do something that will help keep these people warm & last under rough treatment then you have to do what you have to do. My daughter has one of my quilts that I made this way and she washes it almost every week, no special treatment just throws it in the washer with what ever else she has that will fit and keeps on going and YES she does throw it in the dry on normal high heat, same as jeans. It still looks pretty good except for the fading of the fabrics. She has had this quilt for almost 2 years. Personally I was shocked that it's held up so well with all she puts it through. But the point is, if these are for people that have nothing, will be dragging it around all over the place, will wash them in what ever manner they can if they can, then these quilts will work, look good and keep them warm without all the extra cost.

SO, with all that being said, I will say if she has the supplies to work with and keeps the patterns fairly simple, she will have no trouble with making them.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM

I participated in a project and we made 115 youth-size quilts in six months for an orphanage in Kenya. We had probably 12 people working on the project, some more serious than others. Most of our quilts were pieced, which takes more time than solid panels. It is doable, but it really takes a concentrated effort. As I figure it, you will need to make 13 a month to be finished on time. Perhaps you could recruit others to help?
It is a great feeling to see pictures of the recipients who had nothing to call their own with their quilts. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

I don't see why not! Age has nothing to do with it...22, shoot I had all three children by age 21! She can do it..and many here will help, I'm sure!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 PM

That is a tremendous undertaking. I do lap quilts here for the nursing homes and I can't churn out more than three a week even though I am also retired. I was fortunate to get some Christmas material at a good price so I use that for one side and piece the front.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM

If she is trying to help the homeless, then she might consider using double knit fabrics as well as they hold up very well and are less expensive to make. I have done this in the past and use inexpensive blankets instead of batting. Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM

This group has the Gospel of John in small pocket size. You can order quite a few a month, I forget exactly how many. They have it in several languages and several covers to be attractive to different people.
http://www.ptl.org/
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Fleece would also be a lot warmer as well as easier & faster. Good thought cjr