Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning the "bargello" technique >

Learning the "bargello" technique

Learning the "bargello" technique

Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Great first bargello!!

I agree, a smidge more contrast between the three light colors would have been good. I also might have swapped the placing of one of the fabrics ... from the upper left corner - the third fabric down which is a pinky-purple I would have moved it down one fabric (so it is between the light purple with dark purple small flower and the mottled pink/purple).

There are two phases to choosing the placements of color ... value and color.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Nice job on your mini bargello. Your cats will love it even more if you back it in an ultra-cuddle fabric from Joanne's.

Here is my purple bargello, http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t224391.html
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Great first bargello!!

I agree, a smidge more contrast between the three light colors would have been good. I also might have swapped the placing of one of the fabrics ... from the upper left corner - the third fabric down which is a pinky-purple I would have moved it down one fabric (so it is between the light purple with dark purple small flower and the mottled pink/purple).

There are two phases to choosing the placements of color ... value and color.
Okay, I see what you mean about moving the third fabric down. I am having a GREAT deal of trouble figuring out the fabric for my next bargello. I have spent hours selecting fabric from batiks.com and arranging them on their design wall. There are so many choices, and I really want what I end up with to look good. I think I am overworrying it, but I also suspect that I need to have the fabric in front of me and not on a computer screen.

I am hoping to make some fabric decisions soon. Luckily, I am enjoying the search.

Dina
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Nice job on your mini bargello. Your cats will love it even more if you back it in an ultra-cuddle fabric from Joanne's.

Here is my purple bargello, http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t224391.html
Elise, I love your purple bargello!!!! I hope mine turns out 1/4 as good! I keep changing color combinations. Purple and blue ....or blue and turquoise. I wish I could visualize better, but I suspect either would look good. Not as good as yours though!! This I already know. Your pattern is way more complex than I am ready for.

Dina
Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 PM

A quilt for Hot Rod AND it's purple--that's a lucky cat!

Afraid I haven't any advice--I'm watching your progress so I can try this in the future.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
A quilt for Hot Rod AND it's purple--that's a lucky cat!

Afraid I haven't any advice--I'm watching your progress so I can try this in the future.
Angelia, again I am impressed that you remember Hot Rod's name. He is "lounging" on a purple cat quilt even now, on top of a hassock next to where I sew. I figured he could use another purple quilt. (Spoiled cat....yeah...he is. In fact, in the picture I just took, you can see he also has a purple quilt in his basket under my ironing board. )

Cross your fingers for me on this quilt. I am exploring lots of new things at once here....

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001583.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Looks great! Making a smaller practice quilt is a good idea. Love the purple. I agree with the earlier comments on values. It depends on the look you are wanting.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 AM

It's beautiful! I'd probably have used white instead of that last light as it is similar to the other one just next to it. I think. I'm gathering my energy and focus to attempt my first bargello sometimes in Dec/Jan.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Yes your lightest are very close but I would make the decision to change them or not depending on the overall look of the pattern.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
It's beautiful! I'd probably have used white instead of that last light as it is similar to the other one just next to it. I think. I'm gathering my energy and focus to attempt my first bargello sometimes in Dec/Jan.
I think using white is a very good idea. I will use white in my next one.

Dina