Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning the "bargello" technique >

Learning the "bargello" technique

Learning the "bargello" technique

Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 AM

I love it. I still have to try a bargello. I will be retiring on December 27th so I will have plenty of time after the first of the year to really concentrate on quilting! Yippee!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM

I have not done a bargello yet either. But yours is a wonderful first try. There is a thread on the board once that gave great suggestions on picking fabric and evaluating value. Lay your fabric out in order then take a photo and once on the computer use the gray scale of the photo. It really lets you see the true values not just color or patterns.

My kitties will not sleep on the quilts I make for them. They like the freshly laundered and folded fabric that I am working with.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Yes, thanks for the input. My "real" quilt won't be these colors. I am still deciding on those. The pattern, Surf Song, calls for 20 fabrics, two colors. I am actually glad that others think those lights one are too much the same shade. That means I am learning what works best.

I actually took a picture in black and white, or sort of. I had my printer print my color picture in black and white. I just didn't follow through too well in understanding what I was trying to do.

Learning all along here. And enjoying it!!

Dina
Dina, you did very well for picking out your fabrics. We are our own toughest critique !! If you have a scanner or a local office supply store, see if you can get a copy of your fabric in gray. That is how I always find out if a certain fabric will work or not. Good luck with your Surf Song. I haven't had time to unpack mine yet !! And now with the holidays, probably won't even be able to play with the fabric until next year. Doesn't that sound awful !!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, I see what you mean about moving the third fabric down. I am having a GREAT deal of trouble figuring out the fabric for my next bargello. I have spent hours selecting fabric from batiks.com and arranging them on their design wall. There are so many choices, and I really want what I end up with to look good. I think I am overworrying it, but I also suspect that I need to have the fabric in front of me and not on a computer screen.

I am hoping to make some fabric decisions soon. Luckily, I am enjoying the search.

Dina
Sometimes I spend days choosing fabrics, rearranging them swapping them out ... and of course running off to the LQS with swatches in hand looking for that perfect "in-between these two" fabric.

I lay my fabric out on the cutting table in the sewing room. I can easily see it while walking past on my way to the bathroom or bedroom ... so several times per day. I look at it in different lights. Sometimes that makes a difference. I don't jump into it.

Take your time. It sounds like you want it as *perfect* as you can get it. So take your time until you're sure ... and you'll be happy with the results.

BTW - I use 3 different tools to arrange my fabric. B&W, a red viewer and a blue viewer. And of course regular daylight for placing color (as opposed to value).
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

From the bargellos I've seen it's all gradual any way. I thing your colors would be awesome in a larger quilt.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Again, thanks everyone for your help and comments. I just finished quilting this little quilt for my cat, and I am rarin' to go on the next size up! I swore I wouldn't head out shopping on Black Friday, but I may be too impatient to wait any longer to get my fabric selected. We'll see....

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001584.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 06:50 AM

You did a beautiful job.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 AM

I think those three light fabrics give a perfect "blend" effect. They bring out the dark fabric "mountain". I made one called Magic Mountain a few years ago, and this is exactly how the fabrics were lined up. Light to dark from the bottom, then a sudden switch to a series of very lights at the top, graduating back to the darks. A great looking quilt!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Pretty purple bargello!! Looking forward to seeing your future ones too~
Old 11-28-2013, 08:00 AM

You did a great job putting together your "practice" bargello, as well as picking out colors. I do think that you could use a bit more contrast in the lightest ones. But with that said, I know how hard it is to find that last one or two fabrics that fit in just right. I searched everywhere to find a darker teal (for my avatar...same pattern) and finally found it in Chicago (I live in eastern Indiana). You will know when you find the right ones....don't settle for something less just because you are in a hurry to get started....LOL!