Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning the "bargello" technique >

Learning the "bargello" technique

Learning the "bargello" technique

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM

A way to check on the values of your fabrics, take a photo and change it to black and white. This will help with showing the values much better as the color is gone but not the shade. Works for me at least. You can do this with photo programs and maybe even with the camera operation itself. Haven't tried it using the camera but I'm sure with these new fangle digital cameras you can do just about anything with them.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Rather than taking a picture of the quilt, at which point it is too late, put your fabrics on the copier bed, one at a time and make a black and white copy. Then you can see the value of each fabric in relation to each other. Arrange those copies in the way you think it should be. Then using the actual fabric swatches, arrange them the way the copies indicated, and black and white photo copy that. If there is any glaring mistake in value, it should show up then. This should be the way your Bargello will go together. I've done quite a few bargellos, and if I have a question in value, I do this. But as you do them your 'eye' gets better and you it's easier to tell value. Also, remember that only a tiny part of the fabric is going to show, so try to stick to fabrics that read solid.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I'd say you did a really great job - love the colors. I might just bind it for your kitty, but that is one very special kitty to be getting that quilt. It's beautiful.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:27 PM

I think it is beautiful - and in my favorite color slot - great job!

Marysewfun
Old 11-28-2013, 06:50 PM

the selection of color and pattern in fabric is EVERYTHING in a bargello. Some fabrics can bleed into others, but you need that zinger to make the bargello pop. In the particular pattern you've chosen, the colors don't do all your work justice.