Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let go of my quilts >

Let go of my quilts

Let go of my quilts

Old 12-19-2009, 07:17 AM

I made a baby quilt for my granddaughter that she dragged everywhere as her lovey. It is long gone, completely worn out by her teen yrs. She then wanted a new one only more grownup. So I took her to Joanns and she picked out the fabric and I made a new one.
I feel great that she loved her quilt to death.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 AM

my DIL refered to the first quilt I made for my grandson as "Grandma's quilt". When we were at their house one day I saw the quilt and said something like "oh, there's your quilt" He started crying and hung on to it. He thought I came to take it back. He used that quilt up as well as the next one I made for him. Once he took it to school for something or other and his friends carried him around in it by the 4 corners. The last one I made he took to college and it still looks pretty good. He never fails to tell me when someone admires it. Using it till it falls apart is a good indication that they love it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 AM

It is hard to see them "over loved" but to see them loved is a good thing. I made quilts for each of my children when they were young and they dragged them all over the house. I would make simpler ones now for my grandchildren but my own children KNOW what goes into a quilt now and I think might not let them outside the house. Does not prevent eating cheerios ontop of them or icecream or them hanging onto them when the stomach flu hits them and well.. into the wash it goes for the 50th time. I think a loved quilt is a happy quilt.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 AM

I like to use denim for the back on the quilts that I know will be used by younger boys. They are great for outside play too and they last forever!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 AM

For anyone I've "gifted" a quilt to, I tell them it's a quilt to use, not to leave folded over a chair, etc. Yes, it has a lot of time (& $$) invested, but I just feel unless it's an art quilt or something of the like, it needs to be used. My DGD is getting a "Dick and Jane" quilt for Christmas, and I've already told her mother it's to use on the bed or to snuggle or whatever.

Not so sure I'd want to see it outside on the ground, though. (LOL)
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

When I make quilts for my grandsons, i tell them to use them until they are worn out. i love that they are making memories with their quilts. It is hard to let go, but I try to remember once a gift is given, it is no longer mine to control or worry about. Very hard to do though LOL
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM

When I give a quilt to a new little one it is always WITH the stipulation - This is his/her quilt and if he/she want to drag it throughthe mud let them..It was made to be loved. And I always make the quilt with that in mind. If I ever do an art quilt - I will keep it a look after it myself. I'd rather make the quilts to used and used up!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
When I make quilts for my grandsons, i tell them to use them until they are worn out. i love that they are making memories with their quilts. It is hard to let go, but I try to remember once a gift is given, it is no longer mine to control or worry about. Very hard to do though LOL
I have a hard time with this thought, even though I know it is true. It is a big effort for me, especially since I have the bed size quilts quilted and it is expensive!
Here is a note that I haven't seen here. My precious grand daughter won't let her baby girl play with or use the quilt because it has "cat" on it. She is referring to cat hair. I brushed and washed several times before I gave it to here. So do i ask for it back and give it to quilts for kids or keep my mouth shut and not make any more quilts for her?? BTW. She came from a house with 3 large dogs...Go figure. One of the other grand daughters has 2 quilts already.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM

When I make & give a quilt away, I want it to be used. I would hate to think it is in a closet not being used. I made quilts for 4 of my grand children this year. When I showed them to my quilting group before shipping them off, someone suggested they be hung on a wall. I said, "Oh, no, I want them to be loved & well used. Then I can make them another one!" For all the work that goes into a quilt, I find it hard that anyone would not want them used.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judithb
Originally Posted by Ninnie
I have a hard time with this thought, even though I know it is true. It is a big effort for me, especially since I have the bed size quilts quilted and it is expensive!
Here is a note that I haven't seen here. My precious grand daughter won't let her baby girl play with or use the quilt because it has "cat" on it. She is referring to cat hair. I brushed and washed several times before I gave it to here. So do i ask for it back and give it to quilts for kids or keep my mouth shut and not make any more quilts for her?? BTW. She came from a house with 3 large dogs...Go figure. One of the other grand daughters has 2 quilts already.

I would just let it go, even though I know that is a hard thing to do. It was given to the baby girl with lots of love, and that is the part that matters. You are not responsible for others actions, only your own. If this is a first child , she might loosen up some as time goes by. Your heart and your love were in the right place.