Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighting

I have to Ott lamps - I love them.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have Ott lights and love them!

Ok, OK, Ok..... I think I need to look into buying an Ott light.

Blog Entries
    I use a "High Density Florescent Light". It's got a small 4-tube 120AC bulb and is a table lamp. Is that the same?

Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about the high density florescent but the Ott bulbs are a full spectrum light which means it is like true sunlight and shows the true colors of fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnmom
    I am looking at the lighting on Joann's website and can't decide which would be better, the Naturalight or the Ottlight. Anyone have any of these? What are your thoughts?
    I have never seen a Naturalight so can't comment on that. I have an Ottlight and I really like it and the way it shows true colors.

I believe it is an overwhelming majority that all love their ott light.

I have an Ottlight which was a gift. I love the soft light it puts out.

Blog Entries
    I have the tall stand up Ott with the magnifier and really like it - use it all the time but the only problem that I have with it is that it will tip over fairly easily. I have to be very careful when I move it and on how I position it so that it doesn't topple over.

Blog Entries
    I have an ott light which I love, but just got a verilux optix at Tuesday Morning and it is much much better. Has 3 settings too!!! Brighter for these old eyes.
    My sewing room was in a dark attic bedroom eave with little light from the dormer, my dh had a solatube put in last week, and now I need sunglasses (ha ha) when I sew. what a difference.

Me too and love 'em.

Blog Entries
    I have two Ott lights but I also put natural light bulbs in my ceiling lights and lamps. The natural light is good for you anyway in the winter when you don't get out a lot. I also have a nice bright light on my featherweight which is extremely helpful when I am working on the machine.

When we were travelling this summer I stopped in a Lowe's store looking for an Ott-Lite Floor Lamp. I met a very helpful gentleman there who suggested to me that I didn't need to buy a lamp all I needed was to the the Ott-lite "bulbs".....they now make bulbs that look like regular light bulbs (they have the regular screw in base) but provide full spectrum lighting. I bought a half dozen of these bulbs...I think they were about $5.00 each and I put them in my regular lamps!! They are wonderful!! So I took the couple of hundred $$ I saved and bought some more fabric!! LOL

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Tuesday Morning had Ott lights last week very cheap
    Please note, for a while there were Ott lights with full spectrum and those (cheaper) without on the market. Take 2 swatches of the same fabric to the store to compare under different lighting systems to be sure you're getting what you think you are.

Been there, done that.
    Jan in VA

I have the OTT light, suppose to be the best for quilters (crafts)
    Last week they had them on sale 50% off, hope they still are.

community benefactor
    look for much less expensive lighting fixture at Lowe's (maybe Home Depot too) than the Ott light fixture

Does anyone know how long these bulbs last? They are just so expensive if I'm going to have to replace them alot.

Blog Entries
    I have some Ott lights I bought at JoAnns. I have to be honest...I'm not all that impressed. The stand light I have is supposed to be a stand on the floor model...it's so short that i have to have it sitting on a box to get it high enough! I'm also not all that happy with the lighting of the Ott. If I were you, I'd buy one of each, take them home and try them and take the one back you don't like. It's so hard to tell in the store!

I'm not familiar w/ Naturalight. I have 2 Ottlites. One is a table style that sits behind my sewing machine, but I can adjust it to wherever I want it - to see to sew or to shine on my design wall that hangs over the closet behind my sewing table. The other one is a floor lamp style that shines over my ironing table/board. I love them both. I'm still on the first bulb for both, and I've had them over 10 yrs.

I have two Ott lights, one on a stand and one small that I take with me where ever I go with a project. I bought both of my lights at Tuesday Morning at a great price. I also have a non-Ott and I think it works very well.

OTT lighting is great. I have a floor model by my machine and a portable one.

I use the opti light as well but use the daylight bulbs in the celing fan, not quite the same..... Now those opti lights are even at wally world (or what they call Daylight Lamps). Replacement bulbs can be found at Home Depot, or Lowes, or office supply places, or even cheaper on the net. They sure do help with depression--or complete bordem.. it adjust your attitude somewhat...When I purchased mine they were not cheap, so I keep them in the Sewing and puter room.

barbara

I have an Ott light and like it. And the bulbs last and last.

I have an Ott light and love it, I've never tried the other brand.

I also have an Ottlight and it is great-the light is so bright and I love it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast