Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Lil Twister...

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,115

    Lil Twister...

    Well, I finally attempted the lil twister (only have had the template for about 1 yr).....It is a little tricky cutting that template away from the squares.......I had to use my "turntable type" cutting mat and a really be careful not to cut too far past that template or that would "cut" would show up in the next row cutting.
    I simply used scraps and cut the 5"squares with my GO...I cut 25....bordered with 3" strip and then started the trick cutting. The first row, I really felt like I was all thumbs, but then I developed a kind of pattern and figured out what I was doing......I will cut the trimmings with my GO. When I sewed the twists together I used leaders & enders-altho my machine has a cut thread and then knot the new stitch.....sometimes-well most of the time--the thread will unthread itself, then having to rethread with the "auto threader" is another pain.....and I also don't like the knot that it makes at the beginning of sewing...thus leaders/enders.....can you tell I am not "thrilled" with this new machine.....another story......
    Anyway, I finished a while ago and I had to tell someone......so here you all are!!!!
    It is now what I would consider a "doll quilt"....don't know what I will do with that...I would like to make a tablerunner, so I better cruise the net and see if there are patterns anywhere.

    So to those who have done the twisters....I can see the "fun" of them, and those who are a little leery about trying, just jump in.....the water is fine!!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: language

  2. #2
    Super Member Lynnie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,908
    Well done on your twister, hope we see a photo soon. I love making twister quilts, especially scrap ones. I have one ready to cut out where I have used 169 (6inch) squares and have drawn up my own template. I love experimenting with twister designs too.
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

  3. #3
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,894
    I just started a tread on the very thing here.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t182608.html

    I did a table runner and now have reduced the template to make a wall hanging. I uploaded a pdf of the template that I drafted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member gingerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NE IL
    Posts
    864
    Geri, what machine do you have? Maybe we can help.

    I agree with cutting, especially with the smallest twister. I'm hoping to baste mine together tonight, then bind and sew on buttons. I went thru my stash and I have a button for each of the colored twists.
    **************
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

  5. #5
    Senior Member Earleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan--the sunrise side
    Posts
    389
    Table runners are in the book.Let's Twist Again . I am Twister addicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Well, I finally attempted the lil twister (only have had the template for about 1 yr).....It is a little tricky cutting that template away from the squares.......I had to use my "turntable type" cutting mat and a really be careful not to cut too far past that template or that would "cut" would show up in the next row cutting.
    I simply used scraps and cut the 5"squares with my GO...I cut 25....bordered with 3" strip and then started the trick cutting. The first row, I really felt like I was all thumbs, but then I developed a kind of pattern and figured out what I was doing......I will cut the trimmings with my GO. When I sewed the twists together I used leaders & enders-altho my machine has a cut thread and then knot the new stitch.....sometimes-well most of the time--the thread will unthread itself, then having to rethread with the "auto threader" is another pain.....and I also don't like the knot that it makes at the beginning of sewing...thus leaders/enders.....can you tell I am not "thrilled" with this new machine.....another story......
    Anyway, I finished a while ago and I had to tell someone......so here you all are!!!!
    It is now what I would consider a "doll quilt"....don't know what I will do with that...I would like to make a tablerunner, so I better cruise the net and see if there are patterns anywhere.

    So to those who have done the twisters....I can see the "fun" of them, and those who are a little leery about trying, just jump in.....the water is fine!!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: language
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

  6. #6
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    Try using a smaller rotarty cutter , that helps. OR like a friend she draws around the template then cuts...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Handcraftsbyjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    831
    Twisters are VERY addictive!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,115
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
    Geri, what machine do you have? Maybe we can help.

    I agree with cutting, especially with the smallest twister. I'm hoping to baste mine together tonight, then bind and sew on buttons. I went thru my stash and I have a button for each of the colored twists.
    My "darling" new sewing machine is a Baby Lock Ellure Plus...I had a senior moment when I purchased it...thought I would do "embroidery"---well I have had it since Sept....never went for "classes"...I know my fault being that the store is in our little town....less than 1 mile away........so I will just cover it up and go back to my "old" viking #1+......

    Regarding twister....I tried using the small rotary cutter, but it seemed because the template is raised up due to the grippers on it, my small rotary cutter could not reach the fabric--sort of just rode on the edge of the template.

    To the member who said she is working on patterns......if I remember correctly, is your twister template just a single "paddle" and not the square w/lines? Maybe I am wrong.....
    I have ordered both of the books w/patterns for twister templates, so we will see......will this be another addiction?????

    I would post a pic, but I am a ludite when it comes to doing computer stuff.....but first I will have to finish this little experiment.......maybe by then I will have a lesson on putting pics on comp..........ha, ha!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,115
    I just went to the Moda Bake Shop site and found a cute way of doing twisters....with a very narrow sash between and using the leftover squares as cornerstones........hmmmm, another idea.........

  10. #10
    Junior Member Taino Jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    203
    Twister is one of those patterns I keep saying I'll make but put off. Great job!
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

  11. #11
    Senior Member pinkberrykay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SOO, MI
    Posts
    825
    I love my Twister and Primitive Twister Tools. I am currently working on a Shamrock wall hanging, a pattern purchased by our vary own Handcraftsbyjen.

  12. #12
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    I'm awfully attracted to twister motifs, just haven't gotten around to getting the ruler! It also seems a bit fiddly, maybe too much so for me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    Twisters are VERY addictive!
    Jen, I agree that the twisters are addictive! I love, love, love your shamrock avatar!!!

  14. #14
    Super Member dungeonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Well, I finally attempted the lil twister (only have had the template for about 1 yr).....It is a little tricky cutting that template away from the squares.......I had to use my "turntable type" cutting mat and a really be careful not to cut too far past that template or that would "cut" would show up in the next row cutting.
    I simply used scraps and cut the 5"squares with my GO...I cut 25....bordered with 3" strip and then started the trick cutting. The first row, I really felt like I was all thumbs, but then I developed a kind of pattern and figured out what I was doing......I will cut the trimmings with my GO. When I sewed the twists together I used leaders & enders-altho my machine has a cut thread and then knot the new stitch.....sometimes-well most of the time--the thread will unthread itself, then having to rethread with the "auto threader" is another pain.....and I also don't like the knot that it makes at the beginning of sewing...thus leaders/enders.....can you tell I am not "thrilled" with this new machine.....another story......
    Anyway, I finished a while ago and I had to tell someone......so here you all are!!!!
    It is now what I would consider a "doll quilt"....don't know what I will do with that...I would like to make a tablerunner, so I better cruise the net and see if there are patterns anywhere.

    So to those who have done the twisters....I can see the "fun" of them, and those who are a little leery about trying, just jump in.....the water is fine!!!!!
    My Brother has a similar thread cutter. I just give the thread a pull down from the top of my machine to give it some slack before cutting. This leaves a longer tail that doesn't un-thread. I do have to trim it after, but better than re-threading each time. I found it quite fustrating before I figured out the quick pull.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: language in quote

  15. #15
    Senior Member Handcraftsbyjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Mary View Post
    Jen, I agree that the twisters are addictive! I love, love, love your shamrock avatar!!!
    Thanks, my avatar is my Shamrock Twist pattern done with the Primitive Pinwheels Tool.

  16. #16
    Power Poster solstice3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    10,399
    please post

  17. #17
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,947
    Please don't give up on your new machine-it just may be something that can be turned off in settings. And I would encourage you to take the owners classes-usually free if machine is purchased there. You will learn to use and love your machine!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,115
    Am I missing something here---what is the primitive twister tools? and does handcraftsbyjen have a website????curiouser and curiouser.......

  19. #19
    Senior Member Handcraftsbyjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Am I missing something here---what is the primitive twister tools? and does handcraftsbyjen have a website????curiouser and curiouser.......
    The Primitive Pinwheels Tool is a Twister ruler that uses 3 1/2" squares instead of 5" squares like Lil Twister. There is also an even smaller one, Primitive Pinwheels Itty Bitty that uses 2 1/2" squares.

    As for if I have a website, yes I do. It is in my signature. Right now it only has my Shamrock Twist pattern on it, but the web designer has promised to finish the site in the next couple of days and then I can post the picture of my Bunny Twist (which will start shipping Thursday). My other pattern currently out is a Helping Hand Jar Opener.

  20. #20
    Member marys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    70
    Blog Entries
    6
    Gerri B,

    Can you tell me about where you found a cute way of doing twisters on Moda Bake Shop? I looked back several pages and didn't see anything.
    Thanks
    Mary

  21. #21
    Senior Member Handcraftsbyjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by marys View Post
    Gerri B,

    Can you tell me about where you found a cute way of doing twisters on Moda Bake Shop? I looked back several pages and didn't see anything.
    Thanks
    Mary
    Here is the Moda Bake Shop info:
    http://www.unitednotions.com/MBS-pinwheel-twist.pdf

  22. #22
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    The Primitive Pinwheels Tool is a Twister ruler that uses 3 1/2" squares instead of 5" squares like Lil Twister. There is also an even smaller one, Primitive Pinwheels Itty Bitty that uses 2 1/2" squares.

    As for if I have a website, yes I do. It is in my signature. Right now it only has my Shamrock Twist pattern on it, but the web designer has promised to finish the site in the next couple of days and then I can post the picture of my Bunny Twist (which will start shipping Thursday). My other pattern currently out is a Helping Hand Jar Opener.
    I want a twister ruler I can use with 6 1/2" blocks. Anything coming in the near future?
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,115
    Quote Originally Posted by marys View Post
    Gerri B,

    Can you tell me about where you found a cute way of doing twisters on Moda Bake Shop? I looked back several pages and didn't see anything.
    Thanks
    Mary
    I don't remember where on the site it was, but it was a pic of twisters and sashing(thin, probably 1" finished and sides and top and bottom of each row, so each was framed........kind of cute....but like I say, I don't remember exactly where it was.....sorry....

  24. #24
    Super Member jcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    5
    My Bernina 830 knots at the beginning and end but I am suppose to be able to override that function but haven't figured it out yet. Drives me nuts. Hate when I have to rip out something...all the knots are hard to rip. I understand you. I haven't tried the twister yet. I bought one, then forgot I bought it and bought another one. Gave the first one away. You are making me want to try it. They look cool!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

  25. #25
    Senior Member Bonnie P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Corning NY
    Posts
    532
    I just finished a Shamrock wall hanging using 5" squares and my Lil Twister 3 1/2"ruler.
    I made the Lil Twister Christmas Wreath which was my avatar but I have replaced it with the Shamrock.
    I want to do a table runner next.
    I am addicted,LOL
    Bonnie,wife,mom and grandma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.