Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log cabins rulers - which is the one you use? >
  • Log cabins rulers - which is the one you use?

• Log cabins rulers - which is the one you use?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM

I have the log cabin trim tool two and I love it. It's great for scrappy logs. You can use scraps of fabric of any size and the ruler makes perfect cuts every time.
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

I just finished a queen size black/white log cabin quilt - I only used my 6"x12" ruler to cut the 2" strips, then my 6" ruler when squaring up each round to the same size and my 12 1/2" ruler to square up the remainder. I know there are rulers out there, but I don't see a need to purchase any.
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM

I had much difficulty with my log cabin blocks, but then I bought the Creative Grids Log cabin ruler, and now my blocks are perfect. Well worth the money in my opinion
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned paper-piecing. It's very accurate. I just finished a LC top with 48 blocks, and they're all exactly the same size with no need to square up. I used the freezer paper method where you fold and sew NEXT to the fold instead of through the paper, so you don't even have to tear the paper off. Easy peasy, and accurate.

I used my Accuquilt Go to cut the strips, so even that part was fast and accurateI cute them an inch wider than I needed.
    Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM

I use my regular rulers. Omnigrip/Omnigrid rulers in 6 1/2" square,4" x14" and 9 1/2" square for squaring the blocks up when they're done. I've made lots of scrappy log cabin quilts and never felt the need for a special ruler. I cut my pieces as I go.
    Sharon
    Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use the log cabin die for the Go now. I have Shar Jorgensens' acrylic log cabin templates I bought years ago. http://www.qheartland.com/pd_heartland.cfm I won two sizes of Creative Grids log cabin trim tool ruler and a Marti Mitchell's log cabin ruler from blog give aways. I've never used those.
    My hubby bought me one of the accu quilt log cabin die..do you like yours? I haven't tried mine yet..
    Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=JoanneS;5991459]I'm surprised no one has mentioned paper-piecing. It's very accurate. I just finished a LC top with 48 blocks, and they're all exactly the same size with no need to square up. I used the freezer paper method where you fold and sew NEXT to the fold instead of through the paper, so you don't even have to tear the paper off. Easy peasy, and accurate.

I've done the freezer paper method and love it. The only thing I figured out, was to crease the paper with the back edge of my seam ripper. Most directions say to use a card to fold it. If your paper is creased, it is very accurate and very straight. I crease across the entire pattern on each line needed, from one edge of the paper to the other. Then it folds back so easily to sew next to it. A friend made 20 squares with one piece of paper this way. I mean 20 six-inch finished sewn blocks with one six-inch square of freezer paper.
    Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM

I've got so much job-specific stuff, that never get's used, I don't want more. Log cabins can be done with a standard 6x24 template. All those templates cost $ & I'd rather spend it on fabric. So my suggestion is use something you already have.
    Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Hi,

I do not have one of these new rulers, but the Log Cabin Trim Tool by Creative Grids I hear is fabulous. Search it online and watch the video. I'll get one someday, love log cabins! It's a time save from cutting all those strips and your blocks are square, believe it comes in two sizes.

Bev
    Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Thank you for the great advice!