Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm questions ???? >

Long Arm questions ????

Long Arm questions ????

Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 AM

I wind my own with the built-in winder. I like matching my bobbin thread to the top thread and don't want to have to buy tons of prewounds to ensure a color match. My machine (Gammill) isn't picky at all about thread - I've even used Isacord embroidery cones to get the color I wanted (okay, I wanted that color right now without waiting and I had it on hand with my embroidery supplies) - no problems. You just need to see what your own machine will tolerate.
If your machine comes with lessons, by all means take them. Mine offered a maintainance class that was extra but well worth it. After you've gotten used to your LA, take classes from some of the nationally known quilters if you get the chance. You'll be surprised at all the tricks and techniques you can pick up from them but it really helps to know what you're doing before you take the class so you're confident trying what they're teaching. And watch a lot of Youtube videos - won't cost a thing and some of the best quilters (Judy Madsen and Angela Walters are two) have great videos out there. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:08 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses!!! I am going to spend the weekend playing with my new addition!! I am sew thankful to have the feedback and advice from everyone here. I agree that YouTube, boards and the Internet are the best resources for learning; that is how I learned to quilt in the first place!! Thanks again!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM

I also wind my own bobbins as my winder works great. I use what thread in the color I'm looking for so it could be cotton or poly or embroidery thread. Also have used metallic embroidery thread. I've never had any lessons/classes in making quilts or in quilting. Just read a lot and tried my hand at it. Sometimes a bunch of mistakes, other times it works out okay. I live in a small town so not much options for classes or purchasing of supplies so mainly use websites for ordering.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 AM

I wind my own as I generally like to match top and bobbin threads.
As for threads, I have gone to www.metroemb.com for thread. As the name says, it is an embroidery thread so it's made for high speed machines, trilobal poly. Awesome thread and extremely inexpensive. No lint.
I am one of those fortunate ones who's machine isn't picky on thread and my tension rarely goes whacko!
Love the classes and have watched every Jamie Wallen video out there. He goes into all kinds of things besides just quilting like timing, tension, etc. There is also one out there called TNT, Thread, Needles and Tension. Awesome video and well worth the few minutes it takes.
Have fun!
Jane
Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 AM

1. Wind my own bobbins.
2. Poly is recommended.
3. Take as many classes from the dealer as possible.

I bought a lovely LA but the lessons were minimal and service poor. Learned a big lesson there. I can call the company and do for help and will take additional lessons soon from another dealer for $$.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:11 AM

I have a stand alone LA bobbin winder that came with my machine when I bought it used years ago. It only has one speed, so I bought a pedal cord so I can regulate the speed.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM

I do both. I have the Magna-glide prewounds (love them, suggested by my dealer) and the Superior Bobs (they're okay, but they're on cardboard). If I can't find a color pre-wound or want Invisible on the back that I want, then I will wind my own. As far as thread goes, I have used cotton and poly. I found the King Tut (cotton) lintier than poly, that said, it worked fairly well in my machine with just a little tension problem between it and my bobbin thread (Superior BOB), but I am about to try Fil-Tec's cotton and see how it works in my machine.

I am finding that just like DSMs, different threads work differently in different LA machines, so it becomes a matter of personal preference.

I definitely agree that if the dealer offers classes, take them. It is fun to play when you get it, but if your dealer offers them, the classes help so much, especially for tips on tension and maintenance for that particular machine. When you take a longarm class at a show, the classes pretty much assume that you understand the basics of using a longarm, unless it states that it is an introduction to longarming class.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone!! I wish I was able to purchase locally, everywhere I went I hit walls with trying to buy one from somewhere close (close for me is 1-2.5 hrs away) I never imagined it would be so difficult to buy a longarm; I guess it must be nice to be so profitable that you don't have to call potential customers, this happened at 3 different shops. In the end I ordered online and a month later I finally have all my parts, ordering online was no better. I can get bad service anywhere, thus my reluctance to "pay to take a class" from any of the places I went, and I am skeptical as to the "service I will receive" if I encounter any issues with my machine. I am trying hard to not be a negative nelly, but darn it what happened to customer service!! Sorry for the rant, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:40 PM

1. I've always used prewounds.
2. I don't care. But I prefer Glide.
3. I took three classes from Linda V. Taylor at an AQS quilt show in Paducah several years ago to get me started, and now I love, love, LOVE Angela Walter's Craftsy classes
Old 08-15-2015, 12:44 PM

I use both. I've bought some from Superior Threads and use them when I have the color I want (they have an extensive selection of BottomLine prewounds, but I would go broke buying them all) and I have lots of BottomLine cones that I wind myself. My Innova came with a stand-alone bobbin winder and works very well. I use Superior Threads almost exclusively with my Innova - King Tut, So Fine, BottomLine, Razzle Dazzle, metallic, Glitter, Halo, Lava, silk, Nite Lite, Rainbow - all work beautifully. YLI and Signature work as well, but are super linty. King Tut is cotton and has more lint then the poly threads, but no where near as much as the other cottons I've tried. I had 3 days of lessons that came when I bought my longarm - mostly to learn how to use it, I've gone to many classes over the years, but craftsy classes are fabulous and I don't have the expense of travel and I can go back and "take" the class as many times as I want! I also have many books on longarm quilting...great for ideas to keep my quilting fresh, new and interesting to me!! It is so much fun to quilt when you have a quality machine!! One important thing to make sure you get with your longarm is free 24/7/265 tech support...really important to be able to get help on the phone whenever you need it (it generally isn't M-F, 8-5!).