Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Quilter questions. >

Long Arm Quilter questions.

Long Arm Quilter questions.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Im worrying and wondering...

what level of perfection do long arm quilters expect out of the tops sent to be quilted?
Im such a beginner, but i dont have the machine or the time to do the quilting by hand.
I dont have bunches or pleats, my points match... at times lol...
my cutting is hideous.. but i do try to trim into the right size... cant swear that it is the perfect shape and straight in every single centimeter..
And is it acceptable to pay to have just a basic patchwork squares quilt professionally quilted, or does it need to be something a bit fancier? I dont want to offend a quilter by sending them my tops.

Also.. is there a way to find 1 that you can trust to choose the color thread and quilt pattern to fit the quilt best? I dont really have the experience to know what stitch pattern would look best... I think they are all pretty lol.

And does anyone have any experience with the long arm services on ebay? i notice they seem to be cheaper and most include the batting... I calculated the cost if i was to pay the 0.015 per sq in. that most ask... theres no way i can pay that plus pay for batting and backing....

Im should be done with the 8 yr olds top within a couple days. will be 2 down, 2 to go :D
I know i am driving myself insane over these quilts, i cant help it. I will be glad when they are done, so i can relax and quit obsessing over them lol, and move onto less insanity driven quilting projects lol.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 AM

YOU are paying to have it quilted! The job of the long arm quilter is not to judge your work. That being said, your top should be square and ready to put on the frame. When I take a top to be quilted, we discuss "custom" or pantograph, thread colors, etc. I usually buy my backing and batting from her, usually is less than I can obtain it anyplace else. Don't obsess over this, just go for it! Just remember, when it's finished, post pictures here for us to enjoy!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 AM

I've been quilting for others on a longarm for 8 years so I know a bit about this. This is your quilt; my job is to make your work look fantastic. Don't worry that it's not good enough for the quilter, we work for you. Ask to see examples of the quilter's work, you'll find that some appeals to you more than others. Every style has it's place, some people are happy with a large meander with puffy, inexpensive batting and that's fine if that's what you want. As you get more experienced and you find that your work deserves more attention, you might want to find a quilter that incorporates more work into your quilt. Call around for prices and ask about added charges like thread/batting/loading/minimum charges/shipping and handling.
Ask a lot of questions, you'll discover your own style. Don't let an opinionated person decide for you. You have so many people out here who would love to work for you and this should be a pleasant experience. We love what we do and love the look on a customer's face when we've made their quilt live up to the customer's dream.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 AM

Hi QuiltGran and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Congratulations on getting your top made!!!

Don't stress about perfection, I have yet to see a quilt that's 'perfect'. A longarm quilter works FOR you. A good one will work WITH you too, to find the story that that quilt wants to tell. All quilts 'talk'. It's our job to make sure it keeps telling the story that you hear when we're done with it. If you aren't hearing it, we can help with the translation.

Good luck with your search!!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 AM

I am a long arm quilter. I usually give a sheet of tips to the quilter, especially the new and inexperienced ones. I don't care what your top is like as long as you understand that It will be quilted the best way I can with what I have to work with. I can straighted it only so much if it is crooked and will have to ease and perhaps pleat if necessary. As long as the quilter understands that, there is no problem.

I charge one penny a square inch and there is a 3.00 service charge and that's it,Of course I only do free hand quilting, no pantograph etc. or tight meandering. I don't sell any backing or batting. I just like to do the quilting, it relaxes me. I play music and let the machine do a dance lol.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Don't worry about anything...."they can quilt that out"...In case there's any doubt in anyone's mind, that was intended as a humorous statement...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on finishing your quilt. I'm sure you can find a quilter you feel at ease with. Your quilt sounds fine. There is no such thing as a perfect quilt.