Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilter - turning your quilt? >

long arm quilter - turning your quilt?

long arm quilter - turning your quilt?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM

I think what she means is that the takeup roller gets larger as you finish a quilt and it was dragging on the machine? It's really not a weight issue, you just need to move the takeup roller up a notch.

Christine
http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I think what she means is that the takeup roller gets larger as you finish a quilt and it was dragging on the machine? It's really not a weight issue, you just need to move the takeup roller up a notch.

Christine
http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/

Yes Christine, you said it much more clearly than I did! I have come to realize that the issue is that my take up roller doesn't have an adjustment to move it up. It "floats" in a groove and in theory as the quilt rolls onto the bar it will move up, but in reality it just doesn't function that way. So I need to either find a "make do" solution or look at a new frame. But thanks so much to everyone for commenting because you really helped me to figure out what the actual issue is! I'm headed to the quilt show in Cincinnati in a few months and I think I will do some "market research!" Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

are you using a (hand quilting frame) to try to machine quilt?
most of us who are long-arm quilters are using the frame/track system that goes with our long-arm machine- so we are a little confused about your (situation) maybe you could show us pictures of what you are using/doing that is causing your problems?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 PM

No, it is a machine quilting frame by Hinterberg, made to go with the Voyager 17 long arm. It is an older frame and machien and doesn't have a lot of the benefits of the newer frames and machines. In any event, I did turn it, and I finished the quilt. Wouldn't want to have to turn them all the time, but worked this time. Thanks for all of the input!
Attached Thumbnails p2240022.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I don't think you can buy the Innova frame separately, but you might be able to find another frame that would work for you.
I really like my new long arm, but if I could change one thing, I would have a frame with a dead bar (also known as an additional take up bar) so I didn't have to adjust the bar as the rolled quilt gets bigger.

After spending so much money already though, I can't imagine telling DH I'd like to have a different frame. I'm hoping I'll get used to it and won't mind it after a while.[/QUOTE]

I used my batting bar as a dead bar right under the take up bar. It works great. I used those large plastic strips, (Like the cops use as handcuffs) as the supporter. I love having a dead bar.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM

mshollysd: After I read your post, I looked at my longarm. I'm not brave enough to even consider making a change like that yet. I'm still a bit intimidated by just having a longarm, but I could see where your idea might work for me. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by GARDNER0625 View Post
No, it is a machine quilting frame by Hinterberg, made to go with the Voyager 17 long arm. It is an older frame and machien and doesn't have a lot of the benefits of the newer frames and machines. In any event, I did turn it, and I finished the quilt. Wouldn't want to have to turn them all the time, but worked this time. Thanks for all of the input!
Your quilt is beautiful! Well worth the extra effort I'd say! I love the combination of colors.