Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long Arm Suggestions

Check out the HandiQuilter website for the schedule of when they are having their truck sales. The truck travels around the US and you can get some good deals when it is at your local dealer. I love my HQ Avante.

I started with a Tin Lizzy 18LS and 10' Grace Wooden Frame. I did not like the frame and wanted a different one, longer one. Husband said if I was going to trade in my frame I might as well get a bigger machine too. So I traded the set up for an Ansley 26 DSL and Phoenix 14' frame. I love them both. My local dealer is about 60 miles away, but Tin Lizzy support is very good over the phone. I choose these machines mostly for price, but has been worth it. Expensive does not always mean better. A friend has a Gammill and seems to have problems all the time.

Are you going to stand or need to sit while quilting? This is a biggie! If your legs, knees, feet are okay, then it's open to what works best for you--and you must try them. But if you cannot stand for long periods, then shopping is a different matter. HandiQuilter has an option to sit at a LA. Then they have their Sweet 16 that is a machine on a table that you sit at.
    Personally, I found the long 26 inch throat to deep for me, as my arms are shorter. So I would choose an 18" reach.

It all comes down to what floats your boat considering, money, physical needs and how the machine works. Let us know what you choose.
    Good luck.

SandyQuilter

Blog Entries
    Jean, to me the hardest part of longarming is choosing which machine. Like so many of the others who replied, I tried every machine I could find at shows and went to a few local dealers. I eliminated some by what did not appeal to me: one needs oil in so many places I figured it would drip on my quilt at some point. One didn't have a "quality" feel when moving it over the fabric etc. Then I joined two yahoo groups of the two I was most interested in. People who use their machines are very vocal about ongoing problems that don't seem to have a resolution. That helped me make my decision. I chose the Innova 18" on a 12' frame. The frame itself is incredible, very stable and you can add things to it ie light bar, we added our own "batting cage" to keep the batting clean and off the floor. I have only called Michael one time and he took care of the problem over the phone in a few minutes time. He (the owner) wants people to love their machines. I don't have a dealer since I bought it from the company at a show but wouldn't hesitate to do that again.
    I don't want a computer or auto program as I enjoy doing free hand designs. But if you are a person who wants an auto program, that and other features can be added to your machine whenever you are ready. Some brands cannot be adapted and you have to upgrade to another machine. The only thing I would do differently if I were to buy again is get the 22" instead of the 18.

I'm another happy Tin Lizzie 18 owner! Bought new 4.5 years ago, with a stitch regulator, not computerized. I quilt for me and local charities. I started in a small sewing room with it set up at 5 feet for baby/lap quilts. Now have it at 10 feet and can quilt a queen if I needed to. Never needed service, no problems I can't figure out (operator errors!), and very well-spent $6000!

My vote is for the Handi Quilter. I have the Avante, and lovvvvvvveeeeeeee it. But if you do look at Babylock, you might notice it looks just like an HQ. (HQ makes the Babylock longarms). Going online and looking at some of the youtube videos might help too. I know that Handi Quilter has lots of videos on their website you can check out.

Blog Entries
    I could never be a longarm quilter. My arms are too short. Hee hee hee!

Check the internet for what machines are available. Talk to people that own a LA. Fine a store or show that has LAs to test the machines and talk to people, owner of the shops, owners of the machines for what they like or not. I know if you are closer to Kansas, that LA Show will be here later this month and you can test all types of machines to get he feel of what you like. We went to a demo and and a store. We tested several machines and ended up with a APQS.

You can't beat an Innova for the money!

keep in mind where the closest dealer is just like with a hsm they need service or repair. Mine always breaks whenI am super rushed, or behind lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2