Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • lost, vanished or stolen ???? >
  • lost, vanished or stolen ????

• lost, vanished or stolen ????

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    ......But I recognize that some situations cannot be controlled or handled at home. I am talking to my children, making sure they have the understanding of what our wishes are, and am putting these in writing, hoping that this will make their decisions easier. I also am trying to plan financially to provide for our care at home, as this is very important to us.

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. That was not my intent.

I think honest, open discussion of this journey we all make someday is the best way to explore and be informed of all the issues and choices available to us all.

Thank you again for your kind and thoughtful words....you have given me food for thought and opened up some ideas of some things I need to remember.....
    There was definitely no offense taken on my part. Thank you for your open mindedness and accepting this "Food for Thought". I have been along this road a few times already, particularly for my husband/parents and lesser so for others.

It is so good to know you are talking with your children about your wishes. And too, considering the need for financial planning. Both are so important for it to play out as planned when the time comes. All too often I have seen harmonious families fall apart during sickness and/or after a death, even with good planning.

On a happier note ... I hope you and your DH can continue in good health for a long time, and that life is good to you. Blessings to you and yours!
    Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM

I don't know what "do my quince" means but it doesn't sound good. Hope you find the quilt. I would be heart broken if one of mine that I had given as a gift got "lost."
    Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

don't they have those little GPS dots that you can put on stuff now? I marked all of mom's stuff and never really had a problem with 'missing' items.
    Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

I always offer to help find the item. I work with the supervisor of the laundry. You can always explain it in the way that you don't want to create additional work for them. I hope you find it. I know how special the quilt is. Anything that has been lost of my brothers, the nursing home did a reimbursement of a monetary value. How can you put a value on something like this? I made my first quilt for my mother in law who resides in a nursing home. She still has it after a couple of years. Good luck!

Nancy
    quilter711
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM

I do hope you had her name on it somewhere for when it went in the laundry. I worked as a nurse in a facility and that was the most common thing to happen. We had 4 wings with 30 patients each. At times we had patients even with the same last names! If something got sent to the wrong wing it was very difficult to find again. It should have her first initial, last name and room # for insurance. Sorry, but those things do happen.
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM

My mom passed away in 1998. Last year I got a call from a girl that worked in the nursing home where she was when she passed saying she had a quilt that was my moms. Someone had put it in the lost and found and no one retrieved it. She found my mom's name on it and called me. I was sooooo excited. It was one that she had made herself. Hope you find it.
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Years ago my mother-in-law was in a nursing home and she passed away and when the daughter went to collect her belongings her wedding rings, het wrist watch and afew other items were missing. I hacd never been to the nursing home, but had a vision of this nurse, taking mom's things and putting them in her sweater pocket. I told my sis in law about this and described the nurse and even her sweater.Well my sister in law almost fainted and she went to the nursing home along with her two brothers and confronted the nurse in front of her superior. Well they found the items and many more locked in her locker. She was fired on the spot. and a lot of people got their belongings back. It happens far too often.
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM

that happened to me as well. I like adummy left the quilt with my friend whom I gave it to and when I went back to work the next day to mark it it had vanished and has never been seen since. n That is too bad all that work and we do not even get to knwowho took it and if they really use it and enjoy it.
    Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

So sorry that this happened. I do hope it shows up. My husband's mother died at 11:20 pm.on April 14 at a local nursing home. We were assured by the nursing home personnel that her things would be safe and that we could pick them up after the funeral service on Saturday. My daughter and son-in-law went to the nursing home immdiately after the funeral. Her TV and remote were missing. The NH management promised to look for it, but we were told last week that they had"searched" the premises, but no TV was found. Thankfully it wasn't a real exensive TV, but this kind of thing shoudn't happen, especially so often. We would gladly have given it to anyone who needed it if they had just asked.
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Isn't it sick to think that staff would steal from some old person. Had a friend that took care of another friend & she took all her stuff home to wash it so it didn't disappear. I take that quincing them means you are gonna kick butt & take names. That is a Texas phrase.