Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • lost, vanished or stolen ???? >
  • lost, vanished or stolen ????

• lost, vanished or stolen ????

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM

I know the feeling. That's why a few years ago, my dad had gone into a nursing home and I had to go back to take care of packing up his house. I actually brought back the quilt I made him until he was able to get out of the nursing home and into an apt., then I sent it back to him.

Good luck to you. I hope the quilt turns up.
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM

My mom had been in a nursing home for 10 yrs and I'd always bring her nice gowns to wear and they were forever getting stolen, lost? I then made her a quilt for her birthday made sure they knew to contact me to get it washed, needless to say they ended up washing it and taking a black marker and writing her name real big on the back. When she past there were some who were arguing about who got the quilt, I put an end to it I buried it with her. I really hope they find it and return it to you, hugs and prayers to you.
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Oh, I sure hope you find it. I know with my grandmother in the nursing home, they lost the quilt my niece, her great granddaughter, had made her and it was embroidered in huge lettering on the binding. It was unmistakeably hers, and eventually would turn up. I hope yours does too.
    Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by scrappycats
    The quilt I made for mama stayed with her. But she was in assisted living and not a nursing home. The memory ward of the home had locked doors and restricted access so we did not have to worry about that. Sadly, I got my quilt back a week and a half ago when she passed on to glory. I will cherish it for sure.
    So very sorry for your loss.
    Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM

oh i am sorry to hear this i hope they find her quilt
    Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Sadly there are some not so good stories out there.

Gladly there are many good stories to be shared. And families who have been thankful for an interim home for their loved ones and the caring staff who made all their lives easier. Not everyone has the option to stay in their homes, and not every family has the ability to provide in-home care.

Let's not paint all care facilities with one brush stroke.

Remember bad news sells ... and unfortunately, not all the good news stories are shared as far and wide.
    I agree with you whole heartedly. Not all families are prepared mentally, physically or financially to take care of their loved one and this does not mean they don’t love or care about their loved one. Caregiving is 24/7. Some facilities provide excellent and loving care. If you ever have to look into one try to look beyond the flowers and decore. Also look to see how the staff interacts with the residents. Are the residents smiling, talking and interacting with each other and staff? Or are all of them plopped in front of a TV all day? What kind of activities do they have for the residents? Ask a resident how they enjoy living there. If you place a loved one in a facility visit at different times of the day & night. If you stop by every day at noon to have lunch with your loved one surprise them with a 7 am or 8 pm visit.

Try to remember that it isn’t always the staff taking things. I don’t know about the rest of the country but here in FL if you steal from an elder you go to jail if it's a nickel. There were employees who did steal where I worked and it is hard to figure out who it is (the PD should be notified.) Generally it’s the last one(s) recently hired. It makes me angry that anyone could ever do something so awful to an elder at a time they need love and care the most.

Some residents take things. Alzheimer’s patients do this because like a sweet child they take what they want, they don’t know any better. There are times too where the resident themselves may misplace their things, especially if they have Alzheimer’s (you could find a pair of glasses in the fridge or food hidden.) However, as I mentioned in an earlier post some residents take things when they don’t have Alzheimer’s.

Not all assisted living facilities have employees who steal, it just takes one bad apple.

The honest and loving employees don’t want this happening anymore than the resident or their family.
    It shouldn’t be this way but when the family is involved by visiting regularly their loved one sometimes gets better care. They don’t want complaints from family members. If you feel that your loved one is being abused or neglected approach the director/owner/decision maker immediately. Try to get the issue resolved at this level. They may not be aware of the problem an employee or other resident is creating. If this doesn’t help contact your umbudsman (there is no charge for this.) An umbudsman’s job is to protect our elders and they take their job seriously. No facility wants an umbudsman going in but they must allow them access to everything. The exception is to the resident’s medical records (in FL) and if permission is given by the resident or family member (who has power of attorney or guardianship) then they must supply this info too.

One thing to watch for in an Alzheimer’s patient is sudden weight loss, it must be reported to the residents Dr. immediately. Sometimes it means the patient is having a hard time using their eating utensils and the staff can cut their food ahead of time for them in the back (preserving their dignity) or offering them finger foods.

When I worked for an assisted living facility I cared about the residents, their happiness and their health.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up feelings that I was knocking anyone who makes the choice to place a loved one in a nursing home or assisted living center. I was simply stating my personal preference. Medical care to extend ones life is a choice, and a very personal decision to make. If I would choose to not allow medical care that would extend my life where living meant going to a nursing/assisted living home, that remains my choice. As long as my wishes are spelled out clearly in advance, as long as my children understand this, and as long as I am of sound mind to make that decision, then I expect my children to respect my wishes.

I have no doubt that my children honoring my wishes would be a difficult choice on their part.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of really caring, good people who work with the elderly.

I have no doubt that most of them want to see the elderly treated with kindness and dignity.

And I agree...bad news sells and travels faster.

I am just stating my personal preference in the matter.
    I think the same way you do. Having had six relatives in NH over the years I certainly hope I don't get to that point and end up there.
    Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM

So sorry about your quilt quince away!!! I'm sick at heart reading of others experiences. We are facing limited choices for my mom as her dementia is getting worse, none of us can be home during the day and we can't afford the at least $10 an hr. care at home. If anyone reading this has suggestions for the Wilson, NC/ or Wayne County, NC area I would greatly appreciate it if you would PM me. Thanks.
    Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 AM

i had similar situation with my father in law. made him a wheelchair quilt for dialysis and it disappeared. dont know if it was while on the bus, during or after dialysis. he's been on the same medi bus and dialysis center for years and it had a big label on it. the next quilt will have his name fmq'd all over it!
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 AM

We just put my dad in a NH on Saturday and I was going to send one of my quilts with him. You definately helped me decide that I will send a blanket with no emotional attachment.
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 AM

When I had to put my mom in a nh, they stole or lost just about evereything that could be lost or stolen. By the time she died there was nothing for us to remove from the home. But it was the only nh in the area and we had no choice as to where she went.