Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost Without a Project.  You? >

Lost Without a Project. You?

Lost Without a Project. You?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 AM

I have an EPP star quilt going (well, actually two). I love having something long-term to do and it keeps me busy while watching tv, in the car while on long trips with the family, and even camping this past weekend.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 AM

I am reading these and feeling great that I am not the only person that has to keep their hands busy. My friends laugh at me. I moved in March and just now did my first sewing machine project. I was cranky not being able to sew. Although since I no longer have a room where everything is available it took me more time to get things set up and together than it did to sew. Very annoying. I was so spoiled. lol
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM

My biggest problem is I have too many. lots of UFO's and lots of " to do's"/ I doubt if I will ever get done.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 AM

Me too! I cannot stay awake or sit still to watch TV unless I am working on something.
My husband is in a nursing home and I visit him every day. I always take something to do; have even pinned together quilt squares. Wonder why there is always thread on my clothes?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I have a project tote. I have small projects in kits that I take with me. The kits are in Ziplocs. Some embroidery, applique. A little handquilting. Usually have a sketch or photo of intended project. All the needles and thread for that particular project are in the same bag. I do keep an emergency sewing kit (even band aids). All projects have their own scissors in the bags too. That way I don't have to rifle and end up mixing them up. With all these projects the tote is also zippered and I can use it as a pillow. Also has snacks and chocolates and water in it too!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 AM

I am with you all there. I have to have something to do with my hands or mind. I read a lot but I always have something to sew on that I can do when I am not in my sewing room. I go to Hobby Lobby and buy cross stitch kits or needle point kits that I keep on hand for those times I haven't got another project going. When I went in for knee replacement I took a big bag of hand sewing with me or I would have gone nuts. The nurses would come in and ask what I was working on now.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I am in exactly the same situation, and yes, I'm going through withdrawal. I put away my sewing machine and Sweet 16 and cleaned everything up as daughters and grandkids are coming for a couple of weeks. I do plan to make some American Girl doll clothes with one of the grands the second week, but I am feeling really weird. I also knit, but not socks, and don't have a project going right now. May stop at JoAnn's on the way to the beach for some cotton yarn I can crochet into dishcloths just as a temporary fix. Yes. I am addicted, but I will do just fine. I think. Wait, I remember a ziplock bag in my quilt closet with some drunkard's path block I was hand sewing a couple years ago. Maybe I can find that and stick it in the car before we head to the beach. Let's see, need a needle, thread, thimble....
I know that withdrawal feeling!!! Same way when I travel--need something to do in the car and at hotels!! Socks are my favorite...small, easy to carry. Just have to remember to bring an extra dp needle as I lose them in the car!
I actually brought a twin size quilt once in a large basket so I could hand quilt--that was a little harder to handle but I actually got a good piece of it done. You know this is an addiction!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM

I have several sitting-around kits, one with circles for yo yo's, one w hexagons, etc. I make blocks for charity and doll quilts in between big efforts. I knit baby hats in front of the tv and took a crochet project on a plane to France. If I don't keep the fingers busy, they are reaching for some cookies!!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM

If you need professional help, then so do I. Never go anywhere without some kind of handwork. I even get 'Antsy' when I have completed a project and have to spend a little time watching TV.........................
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM

When I don't have an actual sewing project with me to work on, I always have my graph paper, colored pencils and thinking cap so I can sketch and design ideas for projects for the future. These are much more practical for some places one must be/go and always easy to stick in a bag or suitcase. I also do this in the evenings and other times when I can't sew.
I always have projects at home, I just can't always work on them. The mind is willing but the body doesn't always cooperate. LOL