Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost Without a Project.  You? >

Lost Without a Project. You?

Lost Without a Project. You?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
wishfulthinking... if you need professional help... then get in line!

I've got to have handwork of some kind. That's why I took up cutting hexies and handpiecing grandmother's flower garden. Easy to take along anywhere. And I don't feel bad if it takes forever to finish! Also have some embroidery standing by for "just in case".
This is exactly what I do. I'm not sure I'll ever finish a tiny grandmother's flower garden with the 1" hexies or not. But it is always something to do and stick in your purse. Also I'm working on a couple red work embroidery designs, and some Halloween embroidery squares. So I always have something to pick up. I have so many "to do's" in my bucket list that if I'm ever bored someone better commit me.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 2 days away from a two week vacation and can't start or work on anything. I've resorted to cleaning the house so I'll come home to a reasonable space. I've lined up and prepped 14 Dear Jane Blocks and am taking wool and needles for a pair of socks. And my Kindle. I find it soooooooohard to do nothing.
MaryKatherine
Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm with you twinkie, I want to make a quilt for all 6 of my kids and 8.5 grandkids & seems like I'm getting a backlog of people wanting blankets for their kindergartner when the school years starts in August. I have too much to do ACK!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Totally agree, especially about the squirminess! For me there is a "sweet spot" number of projects going that keeps me happy - I need to have a constant source of hand work (applique or binding) for evenings and early mornings if I get up before the rest of the household, and I need to have at least three projects in some stage from planning to near-completion. But more than five and I start to get a bit squirrelly!

But it doesn't have to be a quilting project for me. I will happily spend vast chunks of time in the garden, or messing around with crafts with my daughter, or fixing something in the workshop. As long as there is something keeping my hands busy!

I used to smoke, and I have always thought that part of that particular addiction for me was having something to do with my hands at all times. I wonder...

Alison
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Oh yes, definitely. I feel lost without a COUPLE of projects going, if not more.

My husband laughs at me because on weekends it's not at all unusual for me to stay up until midnight or 1 AM and then wake up at 5AM because I'm so excited about having time off that I can work on a quilt! I feel like a kid on Christmas! Thankfully it doesn't bother him if I creep out of bed in the wee hours of the morning to sew. He gets up around 9:30 and brings coffee for me, makes appreciative noises when I show off whatever I'm working on, then goes about HIS day. Such a keeper! He doesn't even gripe when I end up napping in the afternoon because I only got 4-5 hours of sleep, LOL.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SandiGrove View Post
So glad I'm not alone! I also lie awake for hours if I don't have something on the go, because I am so bad I have devised a few strategies lol in winter I knit in the evenings - summers too hot - something big ie a blanket and I put it away in summer I also have collected a few 'hand' blocks of the months and i always have 1 block in a small container with everything and that goes away with me always. Good luck

Living in Arizona it is always too hot in the Summer to do much with big quilts or afghans.. so in the summer i would make what my husband would call Half=agains.. then finish them off when it cools down.
judy
Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 PM

My granddaughters spent 3 weeks with us (only during the day and no weekends) so I had to pack up all my projects. Before I did I made a list of what I was working on and what needed to be completed with each project. That always helps me get back into quilting when I have the time again. Unfortunately it usually takes a week or longer to get back into the swing of things after neglected housework, etc. Now I have to hurry because haying will be starting soon and I won't be able to work on my projects again. Like most of you I find it difficult to just sit and watch TV - like to have something to work on. We are an ambitious bunch aren't we?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:20 PM

I am like all of you in that I need a hand project going all the time. And you make me feel more normal because none of my friends have hobbies and certainly do not feel the need to keep their hands busy? I wonder what a psychologist would say about the two groups.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Oh my gosh.....we are all sick!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:56 PM

Oh my, my, my ... I have a trip planned in September to go back to New York to visit family and friends. Right now I am so busy with projects to send home so that when I'm here, I can give them to friends and family. I'm also building my design wall, which is taking me a little longer that I want. It has to be in 3 sections, as I do not have a wall to dedicate for a one piece design wall. I have one section completed and really need to get the other section finished so that I can continue on my projects. Then comes the trip ... I hate not being productive when I just "sit around". It's just not me. So, I'm going to work on little hexagons for a grandmother's garden quilt. I already have lots of fabric cut & lots of templates. Thought it would be the perfect project for travel. Small pieces to work on and not actually putting the quilt together. It's a project I work on when I'm sitting, and I don't sit much, so there hasn't been much progress!! I knit also, but I don't want to knit on this trip. With all the lay overs I have to make just to get to New York (upstate), I usually read. Enjoy your American Girl doll clothes making! That's going to be a lot of fun!!