Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation >

Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM

There's an important piece of information missing: does your DIL already know how to sew?

If she does, there are plenty of good recommendations in this thread.

But if she doesn't already know how to sew, I think your son should buy her the machine at a shop that includes lessons.

Buying a machine at a big box store or online could turn out to be "Penny wise, pound foolish" if she'll have to pay for lessons. Not to mention some shops don't like to give lessons on a brand of machine they don't carry. There's also service and annual "checkups" to consider.

Do they live close enough for you to give her lessons, if needed?

Originally Posted by thyme2quilt View Post
My son wants to get a sewing machine for his wife for her birthday. He asked me for a recommendation and I don't think I can help him. It's been awhile since I've been machine shopping. But I said I knew who would be able to help! QB!

He doesn't want anything fancy and would like to stay in the $100-$300 range. Is that even possible? I guess I'm looking for personal experience with a low-end, reliable machine. I used to have a Kenmore that I loved! But I don't know the quality of them now or even if they're around anymore.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Because I love to sew and have sewn for many years, I would sew on most any machine that performed well either new or used.
Its difficult to recommend a machine without more information.
if you google sewing machines between $100 to $300 you will probably get many options including eBay and Amazon.
just mentioning it at quilt groups or church friends might turn up a real bargain.
on the plus side of shopping on line...if the machine is not too heavy...it is pure delightful to have it delivered to your door.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM

He might try e-bay. They have a lot of machines there.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 PM

He doesn't want anything fancy and would like to stay in the $100-$300 range. Is that even possible? I guess I'm looking for personal experience with a low-end, reliable machine. I used to have a Kenmore that I loved! But I don't know the quality of them now or even if they're around anymore. [QUOTE]

Walmart usually has at least three models of Brother machines. 12 years ago, I bought the mid-range priced one ($150) and have sewed on it for quilts, clothes, dolls, drapes, etc. and it still works just fine. The biggest problem you have with the lower end Brother machines is that they vibrate alot. I stopped the vibration by putting two old mouse pads under it. Nice and quiet. I think I spent abot $10 buy a "walking foot" for machine quilting. Remember to oil as directed, and she should be quite happy. The three levels at Walmart tend to only differ in the number of fancy stitches they do. Mine does not do letters, but she might like that. I have been using Brother machines for many years, because #1. It is a heavy duty workhorse. #2.The users manuals have lots of pictures and are easy to understand and a good way to learn about the machine sewing world. #3. I do alot of sewing on different materials, and would not want to use my big fancy (expensive) quilting machine (also a Brother) to make canvas floor covers, hem jeans, etc. (I spent way too much on it, since it is computerized, to risk sending it to the sewing machine repair shop). Who knows what that would cost!?) If I did send it to the shop, what would I do everyday until it came home? Cry, that is what I would do. Lol! Good luck.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Get a Brother machine. I've had 4 and love them all. After 6 years of hard use, one broke when it fell out of the car while we were traveling - not my happiest moment! The manuals with the Brother machines are wonderful and don't assume that you already know everything there is to know about sewing and sewing machines.

I can't say enough good things about the Brother machines I own.

One hint - if your son can find a sewing machine that cuts the thread, it is worth it. I don't know how I ever sewed without having that feature!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Kenmores are long gone. In that price range a Brother from Walmart would be his best bet.
I have a Brother from Walmart and really like it. It's light-weight so I can take to classes or travel with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:56 PM

My Project Runway Brother that I purchased at my local quilt shop has been a honey of a machine. I paid around $300, if I remember right. It is easy to load the bobbin, easy to set up, the tension self adjusts, and it never needs to be oiled. And it is lightweight enough to carry to any classes I wish to attend. I use it for piecing and it has a 1/4" quilt setting built in. I hand quilt, so did not need a machine heavy enough to handle that. I think it would be a great beginner machine. Have had it for four years now, and never had a problem.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM

I had a Brother CS6000i, bought it from Amazon, and it's a pretty good lil machine

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...sewing+machine

I then moved up to the Brother PC-420, also bought from Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised at all of the high end features it has for the price. Though it runs about $370. But it has a knee lifter and auto thread cut...two things I'd never had that now I can't imagine not having

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420P...sewing+machine

I've since bought a Janome 7700, as I do a lot of quilting, and it has a large harp.
But I wanted to post about the 2 Brother machines.

Kif
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I also have a basic Brother. And a bunch of nice vintage machines. I love my Brother and it was easy to come by. Around here vintage machines are not all that common.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For all the responses! I'm going to summarize what you all suggested and send it off to my son. He's going to be happy to have so much guidance. I so appreciate all the suggestions and comments you all took the time to send