Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM49 View Post
I have only been in a "real" fabric store once and that was a LONG time ago. At PA Fabric Outlet you are totally on your own. And it's the same at Joann's. Unless you ask about something you are left alone. But...different shop.

On the 2nd floor of a farmer's market near me they have all kinds of shops. A friend and I went there one day because she wanted me to see this craft shop. She warned me that the lady talks a lot. OMG was she ever right. From the time we walked in the door she never stopped. As soon as you picked up something she would give you the whole "history" of it and whether it was a good seller or not for her. We tried to escape to the back of the store when her phone rang. As soon as she hung up from the call she started yelling back to us. I said, Bev, let's just buy something and get out of here. We went to the counter to pay and were probably there 15 minutes while she talked about how she was starting to bring in her Christmas stuff and how many trips from her vehicle to her shop upstairs she had to make and blah blah blah blah blah. She had some really cute things but I have not gone back. Bev has been back a couple of times and she said to me...if I get bored at home and need someone to talk to I can always go there. LOL
When I was younger & working, I would patronized the Quilt Shops that were in existence then periodically (they since went out of business). But most of the time, either I would go to our fashion/garment district downtown or mostly to the old Cloth World, House Of Fabrics, Home Silk Shops, for my sewing/quilting needs. I am not used to being fussed over like that. I don't think I would like it much either.

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
LOL I will be looking at the responses you get. I have the same problem at one place plus the lady seems to be pressering me into buying stuff.
Either she is on a commission or is desperate in these hard times. Either way, I don't care for such sales tactics.

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I worked in an antique store some years ago and when we suspected someone might be stealing we would hover with them to make them uncomfortable and leave. I can't imagine a fabric store having this concern since it would be hard to stick a bolt of fabric in your purse! Maybe you could tell her my story and and then say - you don't think I am stealing do you? ha ha ha....
This is what I expect when I walk inside a smaller business of any type, not just sewing/quilting shops. I live in a high crime area. What little businesses that did not move out practices this phony "greetings" and hovering. I am turning to larger chains and/or online now to avoid such trouble.