Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
I have a couple of quilt stores in my area, but have pretty much stopped going to one of them for this reason: The woman who manages it follows me around the store for a good part of the time, trying to help me select fabric. Sometimes I don't even know exactly what I'm looking for, but when I see it I know it, so I just need some space and time to find it. I do appreciate, and think necessary, the initial offer of help, but I can't seem to get across to her that I'm able to make my own fabric decisions. I've tried to explain that I just need to look around, and I've never been rude, but it doesn't seem to deter her. I've found myself practically hiding behind fabric displays just to get away.
Obviously this isn't that serious of an issue, but has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you handle it, short of getting physical?
If it were me, I'd just tell her I'd like to browse alone. But then I'm more blunt than most.
More than one way to say it I guess----------"I'm going to look around and I'll come to get you if I have questions or need advice."
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I worked in an antique store some years ago and when we suspected someone might be stealing we would hover with them to make them uncomfortable and leave. I can't imagine a fabric store having this concern since it would be hard to stick a bolt of fabric in your purse! Maybe you could tell her my story and and then say - you don't think I am stealing do you? ha ha ha....
My sis in law and I were in a Red Shield Store once and the gal followed us every step of the way. She's sort a bit on this rack, follow us and sort on that shelf, then follow us and sort on that display. I came awfully close to telling her we were two people she could count on NOT STEALING. There was no one else in the store, but drat, she drove us crazy.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
I have a couple of quilt stores in my area, but have pretty much stopped going to one of them for this reason: The woman who manages it follows me around the store for a good part of the time, trying to help me select fabric. Sometimes I don't even know exactly what I'm looking for, but when I see it I know it, so I just need some space and time to find it. I do appreciate, and think necessary, the initial offer of help, but I can't seem to get across to her that I'm able to make my own fabric decisions. I've tried to explain that I just need to look around, and I've never been rude, but it doesn't seem to deter her. I've found myself practically hiding behind fabric displays just to get away.
Obviously this isn't that serious of an issue, but has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you handle it, short of getting physical?

Any retailer that follows me around gets this response: "Thanks for your offer of help, but I would like to browse a bit, I will let you know if I need help." Then smile and do not move until they walk away, if they do not, then leave. Almost always works.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness, have I ever been in your shoes!
In this case, I really think the owner's assistant was asked to 'follow' bc they had two rooms, and the second one's view was poor from the front and they had thefts.
I absolutely can't shop/think while talking to someone.
I want to be ALONE!
I get anxious and yack away, and that doesn't send the right message at all.
Since I just couldn't find a way to shop the way I wanted, I finally had to stop going there.
Less than a year later, they closed.
Guess it wasn't just me that stopped going
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
take a friend to 'run interference' while your browse
oh, what a good idea...if, the friend can get her 'away' from you.
I don't think gentle hints are working.
I like the "I do better by myself etc. comment, bc that is exactly how I feel.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM

I have had the same experience. I don't buy a lot of fabric anymore but if I need some of good quality I would go to this shop. Well the original owner sold it and the new owner seemed very nice. Each of the times I have been back she follows me around like bee to honey. One time I bought 2 patterns I didn't even need. When I've gone there other times I feel as though she thinks I'M going to steal something. Wherever I am she trails me even into the quilting class where they also have fabric. I have prayed for other customers to come into the store so that I can just look and take my time. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM

I went to a shop once and offered to leave my purse under the counter and I think the owner was more embarrassed by my request. I was left alone tho.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM

We have a LQS near me, the owner is not pushy, but all the salespeople are!! I think they are told to be pushy. When I walked in, the girl greeted me, told me that she could help me if I needed it. Two minutes later, she came into the other room where I was, asked if I needed help. I told her I was fine, just looking. When I went downstairs and she followed me, asking if she could help me with anything, I got a bit impatient and said, "I am fine, when I need help, I will come get you." I felt badly, but she finally got the message. I hate people watching me and hovering. I have a small shop and I try to not hover at all.
Nancy
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM

I only wish I had a LQS!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 PM

I have a somewhat different problem at one LQS. She leaves me alone as I shop, but when I bring my bolts to the cutting counter, she starts up the chitchat that NEVER STOPS. And it's very personal chitchat about her family, too much information and inappropriate. She's even followed me out the door into the parking lot, yakking. I've tried all kinds of things, like bringing my mom to distract her, pretending to get a call on my cell phone, telling her point blank that I needed to leave to pick up my kids from school. Nothing has worked so far. My next plan of action involves a quilting friend, she's agreed that when I text her, she'll wait 5 or 6 minutes (for my fabric to get cut) then call the store and ask the owner a question, which is when I'll make a clean getaway. I haven't had the nerve to go back yet, though!

I recently visited a LQS in a neighboring town that I hadn't been to yet. Holy cow, the store was heaven. It was HUGE, an absolute maze of heavenly fabrics and displays. I could have spent an entire day there, just looking. But my husband had come with me, and he stuck to me like white on rice. It drove me nuts, I just could not shake him. I finally left without purchasing anything and resolved to go back later without him. A couple of days later he made a comment about how we had gone all the way down there for nothing! I just chuckled to myself.