Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I don't like going into small stores for that reason, act like everyone coming in will steal them blind. Big stores don't act like that. That is where I spend my money.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Luckily, no one behaves like that in any of the stores I go to. Most of them are run by men and the only time one of them hovered a bit was when the store had a lot of shop -lifting going on so you can't really blame him for keeping an 'eagle-eye'.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 AM

i think I would have to be a little rude and say back off. If and when I need help I will ask for it.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Sorry she is too helpful. Maybe just say "I am looking for inspiration and I do that better alone, but thank you."[/QUOTE]

I think this is the perfect answer=tactfully to the point. If she persists, turn on your heel , say nothing and leave
Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I worked in an antique store some years ago and when we suspected someone might be stealing we would hover with them to make them uncomfortable and leave. I can't imagine a fabric store having this concern since it would be hard to stick a bolt of fabric in your purse! Maybe you could tell her my story and and then say - you don't think I am stealing do you? ha ha ha....
You would be surprised what people will steal in a Quilt Store. I had my own shop for five years and at first because I was naive, shoplifting was terrible. People will take your display magazines if they think they can get away with it. At first I had my notions dispersed among the fabric, so they could actually see a specific ruler with a specific fabric line with a specific sample quilt. After I realized I was loosing inventory, I started following people around, under the pretense of helping them...wrong. I closed the shop for 2 days to re-organize and re-decorate, with a note on the door stating why. When I re-opened, all the notions were behind the counter or in plain site with the thread. Mirrors were installed so I could atleast pretend I could see what was going on when I was busy, baby monitors were strategically placed so I could hear what was going on if I had to go to the back room for something and a motion sensor doorchime(a very obnoxious one) was placed at the end of the counter by the door. It didn't cost much to do these things but, boy, what a difference. I didn't have to hover over customers unless they wanted me too and they didn't have to hide between the rows of fabric. So, yes, sometimes we hover too much, but, we have our reasons.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't like going into small stores for that reason, act like everyone coming in will steal them blind. Big stores don't act like that. That is where I spend my money.
It isn't that everyone is coming to steal us blind...but you would be surprised at who will try. As for shopping at big stores, they can afford better anti-theft and survelliance systems. I personally prefer small town quilt stores, first for the ambience and second for the personalization of it. JMHO
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 AM

I usually tell the "stalker" something like "I have no idea what I want but if I have any questions I will COME AND GET YOU."

It works every time.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 AM

Default LQS is a little too helpful

I understand that! I have been asked and usually say if they get persistant, I really don't know what I want I just stopped in for some inspiration. As soon as I find it I'll let you know know. Usually they leave me be. Or I will ask for a little something I hadn't seen yet. That will appease them.
dawn227
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 AM

If they are too persistent, try what I call stonewalling. Pick a short phrase like "if I have any questions I will COME AND GET YOU." when they persist, REPEAT the phrase. Keep repeating as needed.

It is very hard to engage you in conversation when you are doing this.

This works in all kinds of situations where people are trying to converse with you about something you don't want to talk about.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49 View Post
I have only been in a "real" fabric store once and that was a LONG time ago. At PA Fabric Outlet you are totally on your own. And it's the same at Joann's. Unless you ask about something you are left alone. But...different shop.

On the 2nd floor of a farmer's market near me they have all kinds of shops. A friend and I went there one day because she wanted me to see this craft shop. She warned me that the lady talks a lot. OMG was she ever right. From the time we walked in the door she never stopped. As soon as you picked up something she would give you the whole "history" of it and whether it was a good seller or not for her. We tried to escape to the back of the store when her phone rang. As soon as she hung up from the call she started yelling back to us. I said, Bev, let's just buy something and get out of here. We went to the counter to pay and were probably there 15 minutes while she talked about how she was starting to bring in her Christmas stuff and how many trips from her vehicle to her shop upstairs she had to make and blah blah blah blah blah. She had some really cute things but I have not gone back. Bev has been back a couple of times and she said to me...if I get bored at home and need someone to talk to I can always go there. LOL
Where is this Pa Fabric Outlet, Please? Thanks.