Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM

Go to JoAnn's and it won't be a problem })
Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I have never had this happen at LQS but have had it in other stores. Makes me very uneasy!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Good to read all these responses as I work in a shop and make it a point to greet, offer help and leave my customers alone to dream and plan - good reminder.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 AM

In defense of the store owner it is often difficult to know when someone wants your help or not. If you tell politely that you just want to look on your own that should be plain enough. I have sometimes felt like the clerk didn't care enough about a sale to even ask if you wanted or needed help.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 AM

We have a store in our area where the woman owner doesn't trust anyone, apparently. It makes you feel insecure and I don't go there any more if I don't have to.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM

We have a new shop in our area but won't go on a Saturday anymore when the "hubby" is there "helping out". It's a young couple and the wife is very nice. She leaves me alone unless I ask her for help. The hubby was trying to sell me all kinds of fabrics (although I told them they are not my taste). He tried to convince me to try them. I explained I don't use large-scale prints but he didn't accept that. THEN, he wanted me to test-drive one of their Elna machines. I told him I'm perfectly happy with my Babylock but, again, wasn't accepting that so I watched the other lady in the shop working on the machine, pointing out what I didn't like about the machine. Figured that would get me off the hook.

I finally ended up leaving the store without buying anything because hubby frustrated me. I only go now during the week since he's working elsewhere.

The only suggestion I can offer to your shop owner is "Not sure what I'm looking for so if I need some help I'll let you know". If that doesn't work, I'd probably take my business elsewhere too. I enjoy the process of picking out fabrics and don't want anyone bothering me.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM

I can SO relate to your experience. I am a bit of a "loner" when it comes to shopping. I need time and space to make my decisions, have a running conversation (internally of course) with my myself and make up my own mind. I appreciate having a clerk I can turn to when I have a question or need an opinion, but I can't deal with the hovering and the unsolicited questions from the clerk. I just leave.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM

sue i think that you hit the nail on the head...most quilt shops are not frequented by the average seamstress for notions, fabric, patterns, and the like...they tend to carry only very high end items and usually have a machine sales/machine repair/classes as well. they generally treat their regular customers very well, but they try to hard to get the new customer to return by being perhaps too helpful or hovering. there are lqs that are just the opposite-and are not helpful at all unless the customer is someone they have dealt with for years or part of a club/class.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM

I didn't have that kind of problem but I did have a problem in a sew machine store. When I came into the store she would watch every move that I made. I had the feeling that she though that I was going to steal something. I did buy a sewing machine from there and had a problem with it, took it in and it was something dumb that I did wrong. Well she made me feel like I was the most stupid person in the world. Needless to say I never went into the store again. I just found out that she lost the store and the old owners took it back.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 PM

I have never had that problem. Our LQS is helpful when you need help and willing to leave you alone when you just want to browse.