Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting with decorative stitches >

machine quilting with decorative stitches

machine quilting with decorative stitches

Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
It's so funny you asked that. I just did a little playing around with some of my "fancy stitches". I also LOVE multi-colored thread, though it is pricey. But when you use it on contrasting colors, and use the decorative stitch, I think it looks cool.
The photo is beautiful ... am now anxious to try!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM

To try this technique, you could make a 12" square pieced block, add the
batting/backing you prefer, then do the fancy stitches, leaving 1/2" space
on all sides. I would also do solid color backing so your stitch design is
on the back. Then to complete just do the method of stitching all blocks
together as shown in Georgia Bonesteel's book: Lap Quilting. Would
be beautiful on both sides!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
I've done exactly this for a number of my quilts - rather than use 'stitch in the ditch' or free motion quilting, use the decorative stitches.

I use the walking foot so the layers feed evenly. My Janome has a locking stitch (or you can take a couple of stitches with zero stitch length).

The photo here shows a bit of the stitching on a wall quilt (a monochrome quilt for guild challenge)

Cheers,
Linda
Hi, your wall quilt is beautiful and I love your decorative stitches. Thank you for sharing. Also, Linda (in Washington)
;)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by fabric=fun
I agree with all that's been said. My machine dealer likes to remind us frequently that 'you paid for all those stitches, its a good idea to try them and use them.'

I do use them for quilting through all layers. Recently through the top and batting on part of the wall hanging with the more closed and complex stitches and then more simple ones through all layers for the rest to complete the quilting part.

I also have sample strips of the decorative stitches - it really inspires you to use them more often and they are so much more appealing than the line drawing you see on the stitch guide.
absolutely use them... she's right, you paid for them.... i used a flower/leaf stitch on all the seams on my oldest granddaughters quilt..with a multi color thread...

looked great, and no one could tell if i was in the ditch, around the ditch, out of the ditch....
Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Kasmitty your stitching looks fabulous! Don't you just love Superior thread? Thanks to you, now I will go raid DH's LA thread. LOL

I do have a stupid question: When using decorative stitching on your machines, how do you lock the stitches in at the end? I have a Bernina but have never used any of these decorative stitches. If I can learn how to lock in the stitches, that will sure change thanks to this topic!
Not a stupid question; I think if you can do the last stitch in place (0 stitch length), that will do the trick; also it's murder to try to take decorative stitches out with a seam ripper, so I'm not sure that stitch locking is a big issue. I think you just have to experiment with your machine and its decorative stitches and see if you even need to lock them.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie
Last year when I got my Janome6600 I was playing around with some little quilts, and I used the decorative stitches on several quilts, and was very pleased with the results, even though they were not "quilt show quality". (I was improvising, and didn't always turn corners well, or have everything even, but the end results are fine if you blur your eyes :-) I'll attach some photos to show the results. I don't have a closeup of the last one, but I used the forget me not stitch around the Irish Chain, and it ends up looking like lace from a distance.
Your two pink quilts with the decorative stitches are so very sweet. Thank you for inspiring me to use my decorative stitches. Linda
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM

I have used a few fancy stitches on some minis. I like the way it looks. Do a practice/play piece, its ok it is how we learn. Experiment and have fun. No rules except the ones you impart on yourself.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I have used a little round star-looking stitch for tieing my quilts.
Me, too, but they get distorted and I end up with some pretty weird looking stars, which is never the look I'm going for. I used the small round eyelet stitch for tying a small quilt last year and it gave me a lot of distortion grief, also. I adjust the +/- knob that's specifically for that purpose, as per my manual, but to no avail.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM

I sure do on a few baby quilts i have made i do them on the binding and i stitch in the ditch with a pretty design cross stitch i use with a twin needle two colors of thread i have doen to pick up more color to dress it up. ph too pn quilted place mats and napkins on the edges too tooo i use a twin needle two colors of thread looks so pretty.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank You, I hoop all 3 layers I am new at quilting so I do what I like. I am quilting a quilt now using a stippling stitch using a mega hoop so I don't have to hoop it as much.