Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting with decorative stitches >

machine quilting with decorative stitches

machine quilting with decorative stitches

Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I use the serpentine stitch and let it meander over the seam lines. I have also used other stitches for the quilting. I like to widen and elongate the stitches, if they are too small they want to sink in and the design can start to disappear. Really intricate stitches don't work as well as more open ones. I use my regular foot when sewing these, as some walking feet cannot be used in reverse, and some of these stitches sew forward and backward. I just go slow and easy and have not had any problem with using a regular foot.

Make up a small quilt sandwich and practice with different stitches, varying their widths and lengths. Use a permanent pen to mark the settings next to them for future reference :D:D:D
That's a good idea about the permanent marker.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM

I make adoption quilts for a dog rescue group so those are very small - 30 x 30 or so. I love doing those with a decorative stitch - just makes it a little more special looking but is still very quick. I like to use backing to match the thread so it's a little more subtle on the backing. Just have fun, see what you like and how your machine handles the sandwhich.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm making my first crazy quilt and I do not like to hand embroider. I have used the machine embroidery stitches (just the basic ones) and they work out great.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM

If you hit your locking stitch button on the last repetition of the decorative stitch, then it automatically locks on that last repetition...at least my Janome 9000 does. Check it out to see if it works for you on whatever machine you have. Open decorative stitches work best for quilting. It sure saves time for bindings and looks nice too. Hope this helps answer the question on locking the decorative stitches...backstitching on decorative stitches doesn't look good so try what I suggested. No messy look.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Can you post the link to this? Would love to see it.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM

kasmitty..
It looks sooo nice.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
It's so funny you asked that. I just did a little playing around with some of my "fancy stitches". I also LOVE multi-colored thread, though it is pricey. But when you use it on contrasting colors, and use the decorative stitch, I think it looks cool.
Thank you for the visual. I was trying to imagine how it would look. I really like that effect. Will have to try some with my machine.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by bstanbro
I have used a little round star-looking stitch for tieing my quilts.
Me, too, but they get distorted and I end up with some pretty weird looking stars, which is never the look I'm going for. I used the small round eyelet stitch for tying a small quilt last year and it gave me a lot of distortion grief, also. I adjust the +/- knob that's specifically for that purpose, as per my manual, but to no avail.
Hmm. I did it with a rag quilt--large 4-patch blocks. I put one in the center of each of the 4-patches. It's a rag quilt. I've been using it for about six months. So far, no problems.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM

Mbunny, I have used my decorative stitches on crazy patchwork and it looked stunning. I did it on top of the seem and I've used in one block different fancy stitches on the different seams and it didn't look "overdone". Sorry that I dont have a picture.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 AM

Here's a question. Someone said to lay the fabric flat when doing decorative stitches. Does this mean to iron open the seam? This does make sense when you think about it.