Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting with decorative stitches >

machine quilting with decorative stitches

machine quilting with decorative stitches

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM

I have used decorative stitches to quilt with. On my youngest grandson's quilt. It turn out really good. Pretty unique.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
The only decorative stitch that I've used on quilts is the feather stitch that I used on a binding of a "Downey Quilt for Kids". It turned out great. They suggested just a zig-zag stitch on the binding and I thought it looked better than that.
I am quilting a "Downey Quilt for Kids" right now also. That is a good idea to use a feather stitch instead of zig-zag. I am going to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM

Very nice and a great idea.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM

I made a crazy quilt out of velvet and velveteens. I used the decorative stitches, but not through all the layers, just the blocks.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Here is a pillow cover I did and used decorative stitches on. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-30875.jpe  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 PM

I do this a lot. As someone else said - I don't SID, I use the decorative stitch over the seam. My best results are with varigated thread. It does add a touch of elegance to even a simple block.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

mbunny, I have made 4 crazy quilts from old prom and after five dresses and used all the utility and fancy stitches on my Baby Lock Ellegante. The only thing I would caution you about is using the denser stitches on top or over the seam lines. The more open stitches work very good over the seams. Just be sure and have you seams as flat as possible. I used a lot of varigated threads, incorporated the beading and embroidery on the dresses into the quilt, and added lots of beads, crystals and buttons. I also used my machine to embroider names, birthdates, and deathdates to my crazy quilts.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM

I've done it on a doll quilt and it turned out beautifully. The reason I haven't used it again is because it goes pretty slow. I'd like to do it on a crazy quilt--someday.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM

I just finished a table runner a month class. It had stripes on the background of all of the runners. I used my decorative stitches on them to quilt it as I have not mastered free hand stipling yet and don't have a stitch regulator on my machine. Several of my class members were very enthusiastic about the result.

Also, I made a denim crazy quilt and used only red thread and decorative stitches to join the pieces. I was pleased with the result.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
has anyone ever quilted using a double needle. on the baby quilt that i'm making right now, i sewed 2 wavy lines down a sashing. unfortunately, they were not as nice as i would like. doesn't the twin needle make a zizzag on the back? (if i had tried a sample, i could answer my own question, but i was wondering if anyone had ever used this technique?
Yes, it does a sort of zigzag.