Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Make me like Batik....

I love batiks but not all It depends on the store .There are only two shops that I have been in where I loved their batik selection Quilting by the Bay and Quilters Quarter in Indianapolis I love the vivid colors and prints Bali Pops and Tonga batiks are my favorites.

I love batiks but not all It depends on the store .There are only two shops that I have been in where I loved their batik selection Quilting by the Bay and Quilters Quarter in Indianapolis I love the vivid colors and prints Bali Pops and Tonga batiks are my favorites.

I just received some I ordered thru connecting threads and was so surprised that they were silky not stiff. I went back to their web site to double check and they are 100% cotton. They are beautiful and I am anxious to try them.

Blog Entries
    I think I got into quilting so I could buy batik fabrics!

I went back to your original post and found that I have just purchased batiks to make up that same pattern--Illusions- although I am making it for my son in browns, golds, and some greens.
    I love the high thread count in batiks that is not always found in other patterns.

To each his own. I like batiks, but don't care for calicos. Doesn't mean that either is wrong.
    There are just too many fabrics out there to worry about not carring for something that someone else likes.

I love the color, the blends, and the movement of these fabrics. No -- I don't like them all. But then I don't like ALL of any specific kind of fabric. I don't have many but wish I had lots more.

I am not overly fond of them either. I have used some in different quilts but usually only because I needed that particular color blend to work with the other fabrics I am using.

The batiks fabric for the majority of US manufactures don't have a clue of what a batik fabric is. If you reseach outside of the US, they are 100% cotton, so soft, so supple you don't even have to iron the fabric. No wrinklinng, so wash and dry, you'd think they have polylester in them but they are 100% cotton. I think from my own experience, they are a lighter weight cotton, yet 100% cotton for the warmer climates and they are truely remarkable fabric. Whenever I travel overseas, I look at all the fabric stores...so different.

I wouldn't call you defective because you don't like batiks any more than I would want to be called defective because I don't like Amy Butler or Kaffe Fassett or calico. Quilting has such diversity about it...choice or patterns, fabrics, machine or handquilting, methods, etc. Personally, I love, love, love, love batiks...also Orientals, novelties, florals, etc.

I LOVE batiks...they finger press beautifully,they smell wonderful, they do not fray, they have no "wrong" side, each yard is unique, they do not shrink.
    Only bad side...they SHOULD be pre-washed as some do bleed. Yet, I have used them unwashed and have not had any bleeding.
    That said...they are very $$$$ pricey so I save every little scrap.
    I feel it is a personal preference...like your favorite color or type of print fabrics you prefer. Some like 30's fabrics, some don't.
    Give them a chance...
    XOXOXOXO Subee
    http://www.subeesews.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I'll probably get yelled at for this one, but I don't like batik fabrics. I don't like the way they feel, it's like they're super stiff, don't really like the way they handle, and I just in general don't see what's so great about them. To be fair, I have purchased a few from all over, some I pre-washed and others I didn't to see if there was a difference.

What do you like about batik?
    What's so great?
    Why do you like them?

make me like them!! I see so many pretty quilts with them, but I just don't know.. am I defective or the only quilter here that doesn't like them?

I have seen some gorgeous quilts made of batik fabrics, but have only made one quilt using them. I make mostly scrap quilts, but don't think that the batiks fit in well with other fabrics, they seem to work best when the quilt is only batik...at least that is my opinion.

I once bought a batik fabric to make a dress in Texas, and discovered that it doesn't breathe, because a true batik is created by waxing the "do not dye" areas, much like we used to wax an egg to prevent dye dye from taking in that area. So I think it's kinda like a tie dye... Each color added is "waxed" differently. Gorgeous color patterns, but dense weave.

I thought I was the only one that doesn't like batiks. They do make beautiful quilts, but they have never "spoken" to me.

I LOVE batiks, I love the colors and the way they have such character to them. I love to make quilts with lots of colors and they just blend into each other.

Send your unwanted Batiks to Me!!! I love using batiks in my quilts and clothing too. I love bright colors and batiks have those.

Gee, no one will yell at you!

Everyone has their likes and dislikes, it is what makes us all individuals. Some of us love batiks but not thimbleberries and vice versa. or any other variety of fabrics.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I love batiks! I like the bright colors and they make me feel good. I love the Bali pops and have made several lap quilts for Alzheimer's patients. I'd like to think they recognize the bright colors and feel good when they look at them.

When I walk into what I call a "brown" quilt shop (Debbie Mum, Thimbleberries, traditional county fabric) I get depressed and leave quickly. However, when I enter a quilt shop and see great colors I am upbeat and tend to stay longer and spend more money in this type of shop.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy
    I love batiks! I like the bright colors and they make me feel good. I love the Bali pops and have made several lap quilts for Alzheimer's patients. I'd like to think they recognize the bright colors and feel good when they look at them.

When I walk into what I call a "brown" quilt shop (Debbie Mum, Thimbleberries, traditional county fabric) I get depressed and leave quickly. However, when I enter a quilt shop and see great colors I am upbeat and tend to stay longer and spend more money in this type of shop.
    I agree totally! I don't like muted colors, they just look muddy to me.

To each his own - buy what you like.There's room for it all.

Blog Entries
    I love batiks :-D I use them as everyone else uses blenders. The ones I choose have very little design more marbley. Anyway they have been going in my quilts for several years :thumbup:

I felt the same way you did about Batiks and never appreciated them for their value. They are very unique but I feel they don't mix well with other fabrics .. .they belong together. I DO LOVE that they are reversible and it doesn't matter which way you put them. No worrying about right side/ wrong side. I also love unusual designs so my taste for these has developed.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy

I feel the same way SPIFFY. I love a bright shop. The dark or as you call them, "brown" shops kind of depress me a bit. I tend to gravitate torward shops that are bright, carry good variation and texture and not just traditional shops. My favs are the ones that have it ALL.

I agree with you on this point. Don't like to mix my batiks and other cottons.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    I have seen some gorgeous quilts made of batik fabrics, but have only made one quilt using them. I make mostly scrap quilts, but don't think that the batiks fit in well with other fabrics, they seem to work best when the quilt is only batik...at least that is my opinion.

I have grown to love them. They are also wonderful for applique. the colors are so beautiful.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast