Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Make me like Batik....

Love them but don't like hand piecing/quilting them. I use them when I'm planning to machine piece/quilt. Like them a lot for wall quilts.

I grew to appreciate them after I found out what the process of dying the batiks is. Most of the work is done by hand with stamps. I like to use batiks for some quilt patters because they do not stretch as much.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    I agree with you on this point. Don't like to mix my batiks and other cottons.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    I have seen some gorgeous quilts made of batik fabrics, but have only made one quilt using them. I make mostly scrap quilts, but don't think that the batiks fit in well with other fabrics, they seem to work best when the quilt is only batik...at least that is my opinion.
    My scrap quilts have all sorts of quilting fabrics in them(not flannels). I make flannel quilts too.

I just started to use them I never understood them either
    but I did this lighthouse quilt (I am still working on it)
    and I like how it resembles water

I did sneak a few, maybe one or two in with my charm apple core quilt I am cutting for now. I am not sure how they will play out once I lay it out. We will see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    This is a funny thread. I never liked them either until I saw some of the stunning designs and worked with a couple and then I fell in love with them!!
    I've come to love so many things since joining the board that I never knew I liked.
    My wallet is skinnier these days lol :D
    You know Margaret, my wallet is much thinner as well, and since joining this board, there are so many things I never knew I liked before either. I'm still on the fence with batiks however.

Blog Entries
    I love batiks!! The colors, designs are fantastic. I prefer working with them to regular prints. The Bali Pop stips in all different colors make into beautiful quilt tops even when using a basic pattern. Yes, there are some that I don't like, but 90% I love!

I've been quilting for 30+ years and have used everything from cotton blends & old clothes to the nice cottons we now can get. I started stashing batiks after a trip to a Hawaian quilt shop where I learned a lot more about how they are made. Many times the paint has built up as the layers are added which can make them feel heavy or scratchy and bleed when washed. Also, if they are triple dyed (my favorite) the lightest color is added on first, then release (wax) is put on where the next color is not wanted. This can happen several times allowing each color to show through. Of course, if you've ever done any watercolor painting (not on fabric :), you know how washes are created by putting paint on a wet surface so it pools & blends. Then a sprinkle of salt for little dots of more intense color here and there.

It's quite a process -- and does add a density to the fabric. So, the first lesson is to wash 3 times as someone noted in a previous post, and make sure the rinse comes out clear before you stop. Go ahead and dry this fabric -- it has been washed and dried many times while it's on the stretcher and doesn't seem to fray much at all. I've also noted that the grain is straighter so there is less fraying when you work with anything on the bias.

So, in the middle of my closet of frabic is a shelf of loved batiks. My first finished project with them was a purse done in strips. Loads of fun playing with the colors. Hope you try them.

I felt the same way about batiks until I went to this HUGE fabric warehouse in Gastonia, NC. They have rows and rows of different batiks! The way they were lined up by color were so eye-catching! From the hottest yellows and reds to the deepest, coolest purples...in short...I was hooked!

I can't get into batiks either!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    I just can't see what to use them for. I've seen pretty stuff done with them, but I can't visualize them in my stuff. Some quilters just don't care for them and that is okay.

I find too many have places that are muddy. Like when 1st graders get to use watercolors on big paper. Sort of a purpley yellowy greenish diareha looking color. UGH
    Do you know anybody like me, who likes to put together landscape quilts? Maybe you could swap fabric with her? Some of those muddy colors look good in tree trunks and branches -and patches of earth.

I think you are right, though, those muddy colors do not add anything to geometrical patterns.

Blog Entries
    A friend sent me a large parcel of Batiks from Bali about 10 years ago. I made the first batch into dog quilts for my two little loves. They have been washed weekly, sometimes more, and still look new. This made me a believer. I now use batiks in almost every quilt and always in my binding as it wears so well and is so tightly woven. It is gorgeous to use in applique as it makes flowers come to life with their shadings. Great in landscapes. Love it!

I am with you on this one. I am not fond of batiks. I do not like the stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    I think many batiks are just beautiful. But, I've not sewn much with them because I have difficulty selecting a pattern that would work well with batiks. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Almost any pattern can be made with batiks.
    Especially scrappy quilts, like uneven 8 pointed stars.
    One secret to using batiks is to buy many clear bright colors. Try using fat quarters only!
    Another is to use only colors of all the same values.
    Don't follow the rules...leave out the darks and lights.
    The darks and lights make visual "holes" .
    A quilt made of many medium value bright colors mixed together can be as attractive as a flower garden.

I like all fabrics. I particularly love batiks. I love the rich colors and tones. I like that they can be trans gender. In other words you can make one that is feminine yet not "girlie" and the same for a guy. I made a couple of these for my son and his partner, but my daughters loved them too. Here are a few that I have made in the last 8 months.

This one hangs in my kitchen
    Name:  Attachment-128791.jpe
Views: 51
Size:  107.7 KB

Made for my son
    Name:  Attachment-128792.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  57.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Don't care for them
    Everyone has different tastes in things, Batiks are just not my thing. I do like tye dye though.

Quote Originally Posted by sall
    I am with you on this one. I am not fond of batiks. I do not like the stiffness.
    Not all batiks are stiff, usually its the lower quality fabrics.

Here's 2 quilt tops made from batiks. The pattern is from
    "Layer 'em Up" by Sharyn Craig.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719NSQHvs

Sharon W.

Banned
    if you don't like it then don't try and make yourself like it. lots of fabric out there to use instead. Son't sweat it and don't feel guilty
    I'll know not to invite you to my work room as I have 60 bolts, about 90 1 yd cuts and three file boxes full.

I like patterns made with batiks..but, yes, I don't like them much either. I am making 2 right now with batks and they are not my favorites. I hope the recipients will be happy as they chose them....just not my style.

Blog Entries
    I was given a bali pops batik jelly roll but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I bought a piece of batik (without realising) to put in a bargello. It looks great but I found even though it was cut straight it seemed to skew a bit. I cut a couple of new pieces but then discovered if I sewed it in as normal it was fine.

Blog Entries
    After reading how much people liked them -I looked at the few JoAnn's carried and wasn't impressed. Since there aren't any lqs here. I visited one in Amarillo looked at theirs talked to the shop owners - decided probably not for me - I love bold colors.

Darlaine

I love batiks...........that is mostly what I quilt with....my sister-in-law does not like batiks...she say they look unfinished....so when she finds a batik she sented it to me and I send her "non- batik".

I love batiks. The colors are so beautiful and they are hand finished, which means a lot to me. I agree they are more difficult to sew on the binding, but not enough to stop me from loving them.

Thanks so much Weezie. Great ideas!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast