Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The Mind Vs. Insomnia >
  • The Mind Vs. Insomnia

• The Mind Vs. Insomnia

Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 AM
    Power Poster

May I suggest you have a saliva test done? Ask your doc about it, and if he doesn't do them find someone who will.
    Made a world of difference to me! I found out my cortisol levels were messed up, thus affecting my sleep--or lack there of!
    Saliva tests give more accurate results as to what hormones, etc. are in your tissues, and being used by your body.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 AM

sad to say i'm part of your club, but i'm retired so i say ...take a nap.....sleep in....catch up any way you can and keep loving the quilting life!!!!!
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 AM
    j

I take Melatonin every night, doesn't seem to bother with my heart medications. Once I open my eyes I am wide awake, so I go to bed early, I also like the morning quietness but not to much starting at 4 but I figure from 9 or 9:30 the previous night, I get good sleep. I sometimes fall asleep for an hour or so in the afternoon. Usually when I am watching something on TV. - J
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM

I have problems turning off the brain, too. I used it to my advantage (well, not really to MY advantage) when our guild was making quilts to donate to flood victims when our downtown flooded in 2008 (Cedar Rapids, IA). I made four queen-sized quilt tops in five weeks! I'd pop out of bed around 2:30 am and go back to work.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 AM

Sleep? What's that? I'm in the same boat you're in. My mind simply sill NOT shut off at night. I can be so sleepy, I can hardly keep my eyes open, but let me go to bed and BAM!! I'm wide awake.
    Old 04-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Insomnia runs in my family. The solution that works for me is audiobooks. I actually wear earphones attached to an iPod to bed! When I do this, I can almost always fall asleep within 20 minutes or so. It also helps me not wake up if dh happens to start snoring.

Edit: I should add that I also used Tylenol PM every night for a long time (years), but got worried about the long-term effects. Also tried OTC sleep aids. They worked sometimes, not others, and tended to leave me groggy in the morning. I do have a muscle relaxant (prescribed for back pain) that I will occasionally use to "reset" my sleep pattern when it gets way out-of-whack. Only need that two or three times a year.

I found for myself that it was critical that I get into an established pattern of falling asleep quickly once I got to bed. The Tylenol PM helped with this, and now the audiobooks are enough.
    Audio books work for me too! I don't usually have a problem falling asleep, just staying asleep and once I wake up, going back to sleep is nealy impossible unless I put on my IPOD and listen. (Make sure you jot down you started listening so you can get back to that place when you want to finish your book!)
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 AM

I have used Benidryl, a allergy pill, for years. It's not addictive and is quite cheep at Costco. I also start thanking God for all his goodness and I just drift off to sleep.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:14 AM

I am a very light sleeper. My husband snores something fierce. I use ear plugs. It is the only way I can get some sleep. The older I get the less sleep I get. I now use an over the counter pill from Costco. It is the Kirkland brand and it called Sleep Aide. If I remember to take it about an hour before I go to bed I usually drop off right away. If I don't it will take me longer to drop off.
    Also you have to turn your mind off. If I think about quilting I can't sleep. I force myself to think of something relaxing. My relaxing thought is walking on the beach in the warm sun. I can hear the waves, feel the sun and the light breeze. Try it, it really helps.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:14 AM

My quick fix? I have a bottle of Lavender lotion next to my bed. I put a bit on my hands and arms..and the next thing I know, its morning! You can get a spray for your pillow or put a drop of essential oil on a cotton ball on a dish on your night stand. I have never been a believer of aroma therapy..but this works for me! Sweet dreams!
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Last fall I had insomnia for 3 months. It was so strange getting a 2nd wind at midnight while the rest of the world slept. Was falling asleep anywhere between 2 – 4 am and waking at 6 or 7 am, usually averaging 3 or 4 hours. I found a link about foods for insomnia and gave it a try. I can’t say that it worked but it made me feel sleepier. I spoke with my DSIL and she said she had used Melatonin and it helped her. I was going to give it a try but oddly enough I fell asleep that night at 11:15 and slept through the night. It’s been better since then. Maybe the change in eating helped over time? I don’t know. Here is a link that can hopefully help some of you. It isn’t the exact one I had before but basically the same info.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/940930...-today_health/