Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Mind Vs. Insomnia >

The Mind Vs. Insomnia

The Mind Vs. Insomnia

Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 AM

The BUMMER is even chocolate keeps me awake.

This morning I slept from 2:00am to :0030 am and have been watching 'The WEDDING' ever since.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Don`t like taking PM meds to get to sleep as the next day I drag myself around, (delayed reaction?) I keep a walkman next to the bed, I give myself awhile to go to sleep, if after and hour, I put ear phones on and listen to the radio. I fall asleep during the first ad .
Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Wow can't believe I'm the only one who can't sleep at night.I had a car accident 5 years ago and now I have needles and pins in my arms that keeps me awake I want to scratch my arms off. I have to put ice on it to stop it when it gets really bad.I went to a nerve dr he said to wear these braces on my hands and elbows but they keep me awake too. I tried pills dr gave me they make me sick.It seems to come on strong at about 3am. If it gets really bad I take Gravol (dimenhydrinate) motion sickness pills they help me to sleep. My friend who had cancer was told to take them to help her sleep they are not additive he said, and they work well. I also take them because I get motion sickness I have since I was a kid now in my 50's go figure...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I too have this problem of not sleeping well. I sometimes go 2 or 3 nights and then I fall into an exhoustive sleep which is in not really rest. Of course the old addage still works of reading the bible or pray and you drift right off.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Banned

Oh my yes - just didn't realize so many others suffer the same thing - thought it had to do w/being 77 & not "needing as much sleep" anymore. HA :thumbdown:

After tossing 45 min to an hr. in bed, I get up, sit in the recliner, & something boring on TV will usually take my mind off things (quilts, family, etc, etc) I get a lot of my hours of sleep each nite in the recliner. :cry:
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM

I haven't slept well for years. Someone told me it was a side effect of menopause. :(

I usually get up and read for a spell, then try again!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Very different than most posts so far. I take no meds but yrs ago was introduced to meletonin--from health food store. Needed them about 4 times a yr.
Don't laugh now-- but recently I read the book --The Precious Present --actually discussing living in the present moment --which I heard Oprah mention one day. So at night after reading for a few min. I tell myself to live in the moment and go to sleep because that is why I am now in bed. Small book , easy read but impactful to me.

Tomorrow I will live in the moment again even when I am driving and therefore able to concentrate on anything I am doing. You can laugh now.
Wanted to mention that before this I was like you and did so much work (in my mind ) while trying to go to sleep.
Made so so many quilts too.
Mornigstar - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for mentioning this book in this thread! I saw the book mentioned on Oprah as well but didn't write it down at the time and could not for the life of me remember the title. When it was discussed I thought it would be a great gift for a friend of mine. Thanks to you, I just looked it up online and sent her a couple of links that I think will be helpful for her. She suffers terribly from IBS mainly as a result of stress and emotional termoil. I really hope this becomes a helpful tool for her.

But to get back on topic - I have the same sleep issues. 55 and perimenopausal. I was never a great sleeper but the last few years have been hell. And like someone else posted in this thread, we have a new puppy as well that up until a few nights ago was not sleeping through the night. Fortunately most times DH gets up with him. If (when) I wake in the middle of the night and get out of bed - forget it. I'm up for the duration. DH is like a horse - can sleep standing up any time of day or night. I'm so envious of that ability. If I wake and can manage to get back to sleep right away it's usually ok. I'm allergic to benedryl so the PM tabs won't do me any good. I'm assuming this, too, shall pass once I get through menopaus. A girl can dream, can't she! Again, thank you.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 AM

I found that just a little something to eat before bed, like a half portion of cheerios with a little milk or some cheese and crackers will help me sleep. Not too much and nothing with caffeine or a lot of sugar. I have diabetes, so maybe that's why that works for me.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
. He prescribed Ambien and I have taken it ever since. I tell my doctor every time that I see him for a refill that this pill literally changed my life. My husband completely agrees. I plan on taking Ambien till the day I die and thank God for it every morning.
Amen to that! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have it. Spent years and years going on little or no sleep. It takes it's toll!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM

AMBIEN WARNING: I took Ambien CR for 2+ years before having a terrible reaction - sleepwalking which led to a fall down our stairs - face down - on April 17.

I was very lucky that I did not break anything. Initially, my forehead and nose were swollen - nose was blue, and I thought it was broken, but it wasn't. I am still black and blue nearly 2 weeks later. The next day, the swelling was gone, but I had black eyes and cheeks, and abrasions on scalp, and one elbow. They are nearly gone. I did hurt my back - but I've had disk problems for years, so that's not unexpected. I also jammed my cervical disks - and I'm lucky I didn't break my neck and die on the spot.

Sleep walking is not an uncommon side effect of Ambien. In my case, I woke up in my bed the next morning thinking I had a bad dream - until I looked in the mirror and realized it wasn't a dream. The only thing I remember is being at the bottom of the stairs.

Of course, I'm no longer taking Ambien, and I'm getting decent sleep only 1 night of 3. My oncologist (the doc who originally prescribed Ambien - with the warning that I probably wouldn't be able to take it 'forever') told me that all prescription sleep meds have the same side effect. My GP said the same thing. I'm going to try using melatonin tonight. I've had insomnia for 20 years - and the cancer 2 1/2 years ago just made it worse.