Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the most wonderful thing! >

the most wonderful thing!

the most wonderful thing!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM

I am happy you are getting a JA. They carry most everything you need. Prices are up and down, hard to follow and coupons are kind of mean. But I buy there when I have to and need to and am glad they are there. When it is not an emergency, I play the coupon game with them, if the coupon doesn't work,, I leave the purchase behind - on the counter if I am in the store or in the wish list if I am on line. After all, new and different coupons come out every week, so I just wait. It can take me months to make a quilt, or I can work on another (I have too many quilts in process with no real dead line to meet).
Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM

Our Hancock's building is still empty. I am hoping another fabric- related will move in. We have a Ben Franklin in Old Town-about an hour and a half away and it has a wonderful fabric section.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 PM

I wish!!!! The closest Joann's is 45 miles away from me. Hancock's Fabrics was about 9 miles and I stock-piled fabrics, but I still need solids, so I'm doing it online right now. The Hancock's closest to me only had mostly blends in solid colors, and there were times I just didn't feel like fighting the strings from the cut ends of the blends nor the shrinkage from an iron that was too hot.

Just a side note: I had never been to a Joann's Fabrics until about 11 yrs. ago when we moved to Wisconsin. They didn't have any Hancock's there, and we didn't have any Joann's in north Alabama. I loved Joann's there, and thought I'd miss it, but the Hancock's here was just as good.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 AM

We finally got a Hobby Lobby within 20 miles of us. We have a great, well-maintained fabric/craft department in our local Walmart.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 AM

I saw an ex-Hancock employee last night and the JoAnn's here will open in October. I also heard a rumor that our Michael's is going to start handling fabric anyone else hear anything like this?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 AM

I love to have access to JoAnns, though I don't shop there that often. They do have the occasional quilty thing I might need, but they also have things for my other crafty hobbies.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Happening in Abilene TX also. Really hoping for one of the big ones like there is in Brandon FL.
Robin in TX
Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

the coupons and finding a regular priced item used to annoy the
phooey out of me until I realized that their "sale" items were as good
or better than I could sometimes get on a coupon-deal.
I do think they make it difficult for customers though.
I think if they made using the coupons easier their sales would increase.
They would seem more friendly, not "tricky".
I sure wish someone would open up a fabric store in the town nearby.
I can't/won't comment on why I will not go to the only one there is.
You have to be careful what kind of ppl you support with your business.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
I saw an ex-Hancock employee last night and the JoAnn's here will open in October. I also heard a rumor that our Michael's is going to start handling fabric anyone else hear anything like this?

We have a Michael's and if they started doing that it would be fab-u-lous!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM

If I have a 50% JAS coupon and the item I want is on sale, I always have a couple items on my wishlist - interfacing, quilted fabric, rulers and templates. I know all these will not be on sale, so I pick one up. Then my workroom is always stocked and I have been able to use the 50% (or for sure a 60%) coupon. I do not use this plan with a 40% because they have items at 40% often. About 8 years ago, they stopped letting customers change the sale price to regular to use a coupon. They were the only store that still did this and it was an inventory/sales nightmare. One area that seems to cause problems is the difference between instore and online coupons. Most are good both ways, BUT, if there isn't a bar code printed on the coupon, look at the top of it. It will say online only and can not be honored in the store. Hope this helps.