Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the most wonderful thing! >

the most wonderful thing!

the most wonderful thing!

Old 08-17-2016, 04:38 AM
dms

We are also fortunate to have Joann's moving into Marshfield, WI location. So happy about that as there is nothing in our area and we had one of the only Hancock's that made money. Thrilled that we can at least buy basic supplies without traveling 40 miles.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:40 AM

Where I live (well, a half an hour away) there was a Hancock and Joanns. Now the Joanns is so slammed it's not worth going to. I went in the other day to check on a roll of batting. There must have been 20 ladies waiting at the cutting counter. NOTHING is worth that wait.
When most everything needs to be purchased online I guess UPS is doing a good business.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:44 AM

I like to use coupons but like many of you really dislike the technique of putting most everything on sale when the coupons are valid or all the exclusions and then you can't use them. Geeez!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 AM

Karamarie, Isn't that a clever strategy?! It's an underhanded way to get you into the store. They know that once you're there, you'll likely search high and low for something worthwhile to use your coupon on, and along the way you'll load up your buggy with other items. It's a smart way for them to generate profit. I love getting the 50% off coupons when I can use them for something substantial, but I find that they are all to often applied to some minor thing like a sewing notion.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM

If you are getting the emails or flyers for Joanns, you can see if your item is on sale before you go to the store. This saves the frustration of a coupon vs. sale item. For the person who has an unpleasant manager at their local store, on your receipt it has a link for you to mention that. Also, if you have a great experience with an employee, also note that at the link. These comments are read and action is taken. The district manager will get notified and it is so great to get the feedback that a customer appreciated your assistance. The shortage of employees is rampant in retail - and it will get worse (sorry). Any store is given so much for payroll hours. Every time you increase the minimum wage, you decrease the number of available hours. Unfortunately you don't decrease the amount of work! So now you have less workers who have to work harder. Or, you increase the cost of product and the public hates that. For every customer that I try to take that extra minute to assist in a fabric question, I have one who is standing tapping their foot or complaining loudly that they have to wait. It is a very thin line we are walking trying to help everyone in a timely fashion. I have had items actually thrown at me because we were busy ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON. Of course we were busy, if not, we would be closing down. I am truly sorry for your inconvenience, but please remember, we are trying to help you and get you home to start your projects as quickly as possible.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

that happened to me and I asked them to give me the discount from the original price. Saved a few dollars more. got the store manager because of the discrepancy.
Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I love that there is a Joann's near me. But I agree that their coupons make me frustrated. I can't tell you how often I have made a special trip to their store excited about using my coupon for a favorite piece of fabric, just to find it on sale instead for only a minimal discount. This happened just last week again. It is annoying.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Great. I hate empty store bldgings!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would love to have a JoAnn's in the area where I usually shop. There is one in a town nearby, just not very convenient for me. JoAnn's stores can differ greatly from one town to another in cleanliness, friendliness, and even in product. The same can be true of any store, including Walmart. I think a lot depends on the on-site management. The fact that your JoAnn's will be new probably means that it will be well organized, well stocked, and clean, with a new staff that is excited about opening a new store. How exciting!
Dunster, what you are saying is so true. A trip to our "old" JoAnn's was about as unpleasant to me as a trip to the dentist. But sometimes it just had to be tolerated. Now since they have moved to another location, there have been all kinds of changes -- in space, cleanliness, attitudes of workers, organization,....I could go on and on. I love going there!
do admit the coupon issue is still pretty irritating.

Last edited by GailG; 08-17-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:16 PM

I just heard the same about our local Hancock Fabric building. JoAnn's should be opening yet this fall. I do most of my fabric shopping at LQS but there are some notions and so forth for bags and such that you just can't always find at a LQS or their hours aren't usually suited to mesh well with my work hours. I work until 5, it's hard to get to a shop that closes at 5.

Anyway, Happy for you, reginalovesfabric! And happy for me too!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter View Post
I just heard the same about our local Hancock Fabric building. JoAnn's should be opening yet this fall. I do most of my fabric shopping at LQS but there are some notions and so forth for bags and such that you just can't always find at a LQS or their hours aren't usually suited to mesh well with my work hours. I work until 5, it's hard to get to a shop that closes at 5.

Anyway, Happy for you, reginalovesfabric! And happy for me too!
I agree with laughingquilter. While I don't work anymore, hours aren't an issue, but I do shop at JoAnns for some things the LQS doesn't carry.