Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the most wonderful thing! >

the most wonderful thing!

the most wonderful thing!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
I saw an ex-Hancock employee last night and the JoAnn's here will open in October. I also heard a rumor that our Michael's is going to start handling fabric anyone else hear anything like this?
It's likely they will. Michaels bought all the intellectual rights to Hancock brands.

Cari
Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would love to have a JoAnn's in the area where I usually shop. There is one in a town nearby, just not very convenient for me. JoAnn's stores can differ greatly from one town to another in cleanliness, friendliness, and even in product. The same can be true of any store, including Walmart. I think a lot depends on the on-site management. The fact that your JoAnn's will be new probably means that it will be well organized, well stocked, and clean, with a new staff that is excited about opening a new store. How exciting!
I see it the same way as Dunster. The newer JoAnns in Warrenton, OR is smaller than some I've been in, but I have had excellent service from this one. In the other direction from my home is a WalMart in the Chehalis/Centralia, WA area, where a gentleman in the fabric section was informative, entertaining, and knowledgeable. In both stores, I have made large purchases of fabric that I compare favorably with fabric at a quilt shop closer to me that isn't as well stocked or reasonably priced. That said, none of the shops are close to me, a visit to one taking up most of a day. If you are a savvy shopper, you find what you need and/or want.
I try to avoid or keep time in store short when I visit a JoAnn's store near Christmas because of the choking scent of candles and potpourri, reminds me of the scent of fly and mosquito spray when I was a child in LA.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM

I have noticed JoAnn has a better grade of fabrics lately. They call them premium and they are from 10 to 13 a yard, but are always on sale. They have a lot of really nice ones. Plus sign up for the mailing list so you get the coupons.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM

A lady who worked at JA's in several areas told me that the managers make a big difference, but so does the
clientele. Friendly customers and friendly employees... win-win.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM

I use to have a Ben Franklin store with a fabulous fabric department. I bought all of my quilting fabric there and then they went out of business. I have 2 quilt shops but no regular fabric store except Walmart and I would rather take a beating than go there and play dodge cars in the parking lot.