Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Motivation Badly needed >

Motivation Badly needed

Motivation Badly needed

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM

I think he would want you to go on and know that he is with you always, and your sewing room would be a special place where you will feel the closest to him.
When you are cleaning or sewing, talk to him, cry or what ever you need to do.
Know he is near and his love will always be with you.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM

I wish I was there to hold your hand and help you. I have been in the same spot, not with my husband, but with my daughter. Her bedroom was left alone for months after she passed away, but finally I forced myself to go in and clean it up. It hurt and I cried the whole time, but I am so glad I did. Now I can go into the room and relax and feel her around me. Don't worry about tears, let them flow, they are actually comforting. Go in, clean it up and then use your sewing room and remember all the wonderful times you used it with your husband. Also we are here to hold your hand through this board. We love you and are sending our warm thoughts your way.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM

As far as the cleaning goes, as my mom always tells me, take it a little at a time. I rent out a bedroom at my mom's place (for the moment) where I sleep, eat, quilt, etc. in and it can get to be a huge mess very quickly (like it is now!). Besides not having a lot of time to get down to it, sometimes I look at it and go "There's so much to do!" If I can bring myself to do it, I start off small like clean up all the Wal-Mart bags that have accumulated (work at Wal-Mart and tend to get a thing or two after work almost every day). Sometimes I'll get finished with something and go onto another thing and next thing I know I can see a floor!

But in your case, you also have the sentimental value and the loss of your husband. I imagine the sewing room is a place with a lot of memories with your husband---looking at your purchases from a fabric store, cutting out fabric, piecing together quilt tops, getting frustrated if something wasn't going right, and basking in both of your finished works. It wasn't just your sewing room---it belonged to both of you. You might be feeling weird about going in there to do anything because the other owner is no longer around (physically anyways). And August was only two months ago so don't beat yourself up if you haven't gone in there since.

At first, I say don't even go in there with the intent on cleaning. Just step into the room. If you can manage then check out all the things you quilted together.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. I really can't add anything that hasn't all ready been said. I know when my mother passed away, my DH and I had bought a small house by us, and set it up, so she could still live in comfort. I could not bring myself to go into that house, I just took it one day at a time.
Just think, you and your DH worked well together. He would want you to keep on with the beautiful quilts that you made.
He's watching over you, I'm sure
Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 AM

I took a little of everybody's advice. I took my timer into the sewing room, set it for one hour and began to clear it. I felt overwhelmed in the beginning and asked my husband (who always cleaned up after me LOL) to show me the easiest way to do this. After a few minutes it came like second nature and I got about 1/4 really clean, and about 1/2 organized so I can complete the rest. I talked to him the whole time, cried also but at least now I can go in and sew. Thankyou all for your support. Hugs Phyl
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM

My sincere condolences for your loss. I can only imagine your pain. I think others have given you excellant suggestions so I won't add another one, but just know we are all here for you sending our thoughts, prayers and {{hugs}}
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you are not too hard on yourself. It's barely been a few months and I hope you give yourself permission to feel bad, crappy, angry, sad, whatever you need to feel.

WHEN YOU ARE READY, you will get to those UFO's and "be" with him again. Peace to you, memephyl.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM

With my Mom's things, I had to finally ask myself what she would have wanted me to do. Quilting was a joy to you both, and you know he would not want you to lose that pleasure in your life, tackle it slowly, and it will get easier as you go. Time does heal, just let it, and know in your heart that you need this healing time. Good luck to you, and know we are all there with you