Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? >

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

I've moved too many times, and each time I just boxed up everything and marked the boxes so that everything was organized when I got to the new place. It's hecktic enough getting settled in a new place, so if all my stuff was together, I could find it all right away.

But I agree with Ramona Byrd, take jewelry with you. My cars were always packed with my really valuables, and medications. But start with a reliable mover!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Even reliable movers can't always read. I found boxes marked kitchen in the bedroom, living room in the bedroom, etc. You have to watch them otherwise you'll have boxes in the wrong places even though you marked them correctly.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM

I remember that when we moved (DH was 20 years in Navy) the packers would put all of our rubbermaid tubs in boxes too. I guess they had to box everything. I also remember that if there was a "space" in a box, they would wander all over the house looking for something to fill that space. Very frustrating when unpacking to have miscellaneous items not where they belonged!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Plastic bins from Lowes or Walmart! I packed everything but furniture in them last move. And they store inside each other in the garage for future uses.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 PM

they can even be used for other things - I use a bunch of them for recycling
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

I moved from NM to TN and thought Id move light so I sold everything except the machines. Now Im moving from TN to NC in December and Im taking everything! So the best advice I can offer is KEEP IT ALL. Its a bigger headache replacing all that stuff then it is moving it.
When I moved MIL out of her house I put everything into rubbermaid boxes and not a thing got broken plus when you move into a new house you have so many storage totes!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 PM

I just moved from S.D. to Minnesota and I had most of my fabric in stackable bins. I just left them in there and they just picked up the bins and stacked them in the truck. My books and patterns I packed in a box. As soon as they arrive here, I will just restack them in my new area. I did carry my sewing machine with us in the car, as have a Brother 4000 and worth many many dollars.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I would get rid of my clothes and furniture before I would my stash. LOL DH knows.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM

I moved across the state about ten years ago and I had twentysix boxes of fabrics and tools. Just mark your contents on each box as to type or color, etc. My biggest problem was that my SIL had arranged nine guys to unload the van and they stacked all my stuff in the sewing room before I got to take up the carpet and installing the tile I had brought with me. It still is carpeted.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM

I am in the process of moving too. We close on our house Oct 29, and the new house Nov. 1st. Most of my sewing room is done. But I had purchased totes to put fabric in. Just incase it gets put in storage and we have water problems or something, that is why I bought the totes. As I was packing, I did the organizing by color or if it was a collection for fabrics for a future quilt. I also wrapped fabrics around coreboard to help my future quilting room be more organized. see some of the previous posts about organizing qultingrooms that some of the others have posted. Everyone here is such a great help to us. Thanks.